“Sagging bed, tiny room, poor quality breakfast”
Review of Botanic Rest

Botanic Rest
Ranked #26 of 50 Belfast B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Andre on reception was friendly and the location is good for visitors, but other than that this B and B was charmless. The room was tucked away in a corner of the house, it was tiny, with hardly any space for two of us to put our bags or move around. Similarly, the bathroom didn't have space to even rest a toothbrush, no shelves or clothes hooks, so moving around with stuff was a bit awkward.
The breakfast ingredients are poor quality - the bread is the most basic, thin bread, the juice glasses filled only part-way etc. Vegetarians, don't expect a warm welcome. I asked if they would replace the meat sausages/bacon etc in the full Irish Breakfast with veggie sausages (which are cheap to buy and easy to keep in the freezer) and the chef refused, leaving me the option of a spoon of baked beans, a slice of tomato and 8 pieces of mushroom on a plate!
The bed I slept on was bumpy and sagged in the middle. I looked closer and the mattress and discovered it was a cheap foam block! They really haven't invested in decent stuff here.
you can hear everything in the nearby rooms, unfortunately for us a couple in the room opposite were incredibly noisy and woke us up a number of times one of the nights we were there. Between this noise and the uncomfortable bed, our sleep was terrible.
I couldn't recommend this place less! Sorry Andre..

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank sunshine23cambridge
BotanicRest, Manager at Botanic Rest, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Hi sunshine23cambridge,
Thank you for your honest feedback. We are pleased that you found the location to be good and Andre to be friendly. Reference your room with the lack of hooks I shall personally look into this. As for the mattress being a cheap foam block I can categorically assure you without going into the technicalities of mattress construction that this mattress is not a cheap foam block, quite the opposite this mattress costs almost twice that of a mattress that can actually sag in the middle. The construction of this mattress does not enable sagging, it is simply impossible.
I note your issues with the breakfast. If I could begin here by pointing out that your booking included a continental breakfast. You were however provided with a 'Cooked Breakfast' as well as a continental breakfast at no extra charge.
As you rightly point out "veggie sausages are cheap to buy and easy to keep in the freezer." I would add to this that so is vegetable roll, and a whole variety of other vegetable pastries.
However if we are unaware of a special dietary requirement the freezer is exactly where these food items reside. It is not a case of the chef refusing to accommodate your free and unbooked, cooked breakfast request so much as being unable to meet it as he cannot defrost food at will and rightly refuses to do so with a microwave. We regularly cater for vegetarians, vegans, celiacs and other special dietary requirements.
It is disappointing that your stay did not meet your expectations but your experience seems to be unreflective of the majority of our guests.
We do however hope that you enjoyed Belfast and had a safe and uneventful journey back home.

There are newer reviews for Botanic Rest

Reviewed 20 February 2014

I had a trip planned to Belfast (mainly to see the Giant's Causeway via tour bus). I needed a place to stay that would accommodate 3 ladies (2 friends and I). I emailed with them and decided to book one of their rooms. There was an issue upon arrival. They hadn't received my confirmation that I wanted the room! As it was a Saturday night during a popular festival, they were fully booked. With this obstacle, the owner helped us book a room in a nearby hotel and also had a room for us the next night. She gave us free breakfast for Sunday (even tho we hadn't spent the night there) and let us drop our luggage off for the day while we were out seeing the Giant's Causeway.

Breakfast was yummy! Fresh poached eggs along with a few other hot options and the usual cereals, yogurts, toast, juice, coffee, tea, etc.

Our room was a 4 (5?) bed family room with an en suite bathroom and even a little changing room with a small wardrobe. All very comfortable and perfectly clean. It's been recently remodeled, as well, so I'm sure that helped a lot! There are many rooms here, so as another reviewer has said, it's more of a boutique hotel than a traditional B&B. Still a great experience. The owner was a lovely lady and incredibly helpful and understanding about the booking mix up.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank MC M

Hi MC M,
Thank you kindly for taking the time to leave a review. It our pleasure both meeting and accommodating you all. We could not have anyone going to the Causeway in the Winter without having a good cooked breakfast to set them on their way for the day.
We hope you all back home with a few good tales to tell about Belfast and Northern Ireland.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

Really friendly staff , bright clean and comfortable room, which has all basic amenities. Very comfortable bed and linen, great full Irish breakfast - and all at such a good price means we are completely satisfied customers!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Catherine M

Hi Catherine M,
Just to quickly say thank you for your kind words, for taking the time to leave a review and that our door is always open should you wish to return in the future.
Best wishes from all the staff at Botanic Rest.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

I spent only one night at the Botanic Rest, but would happily have stayed longer. I had booked a single room but was given a large double, newly refurbished and modern, with a comfortable bed and a good en suite shower room. The room was spotlessly clean, equipped with a hair dryer and ample tea and coffee supplies. My only criticism was that there was nowhere to put a toilet bag, and no hooks for clothes,in the en suite.
The staff were friendly and helpful, carrying my case to my room, and offering recommendations on things to see and places to eat. It was even suggested that if I would prefer a takeaway I could bring it back and eat it in the guest lounge. This was comfortably furnished and had tea, coffee and fresh milk for the use of the residents. While I was sitting there planning my next day's activities the owner even loaned me the hotel's directory of things to see and do, so that I had all the information I would need.
Breakfast was plentiful and well cooked, with fruit juice, cereal and toast as well as the full Irish, and the service was excellent. At £33 for B&B, this must rate as one of the best value for money deals in Belfast.
Although the exterior of the hotel and the entrance/reception area look a little tired and old-fashioned, the public rooms have character, with lots of original features, and the refurbished bedrooms are crisply modern, with bright en suites.
The hotel is located in the Botanic quarter which has cafes and restaurants of many nationalities. You could eat a different cuisine every night for a week and still not have sampled them all. Although the area is very busy, the hotel is quiet, and I shall stay there again when I visit Belfast.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Hey Jude!
Glad you enjoyed your stay and of course it would be a pleasure to have you stay again.
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last night with seven girls for my friend's 30th birthday. We arrived just before 5pm and went to check-in at reception. The guy (who later turned out to be the owner) was there alone and was very pleasant. He even helped carry my bag up to my room.
This B&B is massive and if you're easily disorientated like myself, it can be a bit daunting but I soon got used to it.
I stayed in a 3-bed room in the recently renovated part and could find no fault. The room was spotless, had all the mod-cons, plenty of plug sockets and a bathroom. The room temperature was also very comfortable.
The owners are lovely and very down-to-earth and the place is professionally run.
The breakfast this morning was lovely and theres a great selection.
Overall I would highly recommend staying here, it's worth paying a visit and in a good location too.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Hi Rabbit,
Thank you for your kind words. We enjoyed having you all stay, I know one of the party stayed before and it would be great to have you back in the future.
Best wishes from everyone at Botanic Rest.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

I stayed midweek at the Botanic Rest because I had come over for a job interview. My criteria for somewhere to stay was somewhere cheap, convenient to the city centre and, hopefully, quiet. I paid £33 for a single room which transpired to be an absolute steel. The hotel is located in the pleasant and vibrant Botanic quarter, which is students-ville and where I lived for a while whilst I was working in Belfast a couple of years back. Botanic Rest is on Cromwell Road, just off Botanic Avenue and about a 15 minute walk to the city centre. The street was surprisingly relatively quiet given the nature of the area, especially so since I had a bedroom at the front of the hotel next to Cromwell Road itself. The hotel is four converted Victorian terrace houses; its a bit old fashioned in the reception and public areas, but it seems that the bedrooms have been modernised with a Euro-Ikea type look. My room was smart enough and a bit funky, if in a budget type of way. It was also very clean with plenty of spare towels and a small but functional en-suite. Although my bedroom was meant to be a single, it actually had three single beds in it which was great for spreading my stuff around. The room had character and was infinitely more interesting and comfortable than the bland and rather sterile Ibis hotel I stayed at the following night. I didn't expect the en-suite bathroom because of the price I paid, and also didn't bargain for the cooked breakfast that was included. The hotel was run by a very friendly and efficient Dutch guy and I couldn't fault the service. Breakfast was fine and certainly good enough at the price. I slept well and there were no noisy, rowdy students waking me up in the night. I wholeheartedly recommend the Botanic Rest if you are looking for somewhere cheap, comfortable and convenient to Belfast city centre. A really excellent stay and I was delighted. I would definitely go back there again.

Room Tip: I had Room 45, a single room but it had 3 single beds in it and was extremely spacious.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Hi EJB1976,
Thank you for your review and for the email which you sent after your departure. We hope you will consider us again in the future.

Reviewed 31 January 2014

Not a big fan of Belfast but have to go for personal reasons and was not looking forward to this trip but thanks the Botanic rest and the staff it made it a good trip. The cooks a spurs fan don't let that put you off haha the next time i'm in Belfast i'll be staying there again even tho i'v been offered free place to stay at a friends. see you soon

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Steve r,
Thank you for the review. I hope if I tell you that not only is the cook a Spurs fan but the owner is too that this will not put you off returning. Andre on the other hand.... best not to mention football to him!! Did he tell you he used to be a player in the Netherlands? lol!
You know where we are if you need to return.
Take care.