“Best in Belfast”
Review of Botanic Rest

Botanic Rest
Ranked #30 of 50 Belfast B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I have stayed here on three occasions while on business in Belfast and will certainly be returning! It is the cheapest stay in Belfast and has very friendly and helpful staff. Breakfast is very good and the rooms are very clean. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank small_fish_big_ocean
BotanicRest, Manager at Botanic Rest, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Hi Small Fish
Thank you for your comments. It is pleasing to note that having stayed several times you find Botanic Rest to be 'The Best in Belfast.'
Hope to see you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Botanic Rest

Reviewed 20 February 2014

The Botanic Rest was a very pleasant surprise. Considering what we spent for two nights, I did not have very high expectations - the Botanic Rest exceeded them by far! It is very clean (I literally inspected every corner of the room - it is one of the cleanest B&B I have ever been to) and the rooms are very modern and spacious!
One of the best features of the B&B is its staff. Colin and Louise very extremely helpful in recommending both things to do and places to go to. I even lost my comb while I was staying there and they sent it to me on the day of my departure, together with a very friendly note. My only regret is that I didn't stay longer but I will certainly go back!
Also, if you have doubts about the location (as it looks a bit far from the centre on the map), do not worry about that! That is the area you want to be in during your stay in Belfast, as there are loads of pubs/restaurants!
I can only recommend this place!!

1  Thank Simonka K

Hi Simonka,
It was our pleasure having you both stay with us. Thank you for your kind words. We are delighted you enjoyed Botanic Rest, Belfast and our recommendations. We can not promise anything but should you return we will try to turn off the rain!!
Glad you made it home safely.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

We stayed here for two nights in Feb 2014. An excellent welcome, good facilities, bathroom could have been cleaner. Grateful for the free wifi. Breakfast was ok, no veggie option- only take off the meat. A midnight argument dealt with well by staff. Very good location from which to base yourself and enjoy Belfast!

Hi Fiona F
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to provide some feedback. We are pleased you felt the location was excellent. Apologies if you felt there was no veggie option for breakfast - See more detail on this on the response below to your Travelling companion. We hope you enjoyed Northern Ireland as a whole.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Andre on reception was friendly and the location is good for visitors, but other than that this B and B was charmless. The room was tucked away in a corner of the house, it was tiny, with hardly any space for two of us to put our bags or move around. Similarly, the bathroom didn't have space to even rest a toothbrush, no shelves or clothes hooks, so moving around with stuff was a bit awkward.
The breakfast ingredients are poor quality - the bread is the most basic, thin bread, the juice glasses filled only part-way etc. Vegetarians, don't expect a warm welcome. I asked if they would replace the meat sausages/bacon etc in the full Irish Breakfast with veggie sausages (which are cheap to buy and easy to keep in the freezer) and the chef refused, leaving me the option of a spoon of baked beans, a slice of tomato and 8 pieces of mushroom on a plate!
The bed I slept on was bumpy and sagged in the middle. I looked closer and the mattress and discovered it was a cheap foam block! They really haven't invested in decent stuff here.
you can hear everything in the nearby rooms, unfortunately for us a couple in the room opposite were incredibly noisy and woke us up a number of times one of the nights we were there. Between this noise and the uncomfortable bed, our sleep was terrible.
I couldn't recommend this place less! Sorry Andre..

4  Thank sunshine23cambridge

Hi sunshine23cambridge,
Thank you for your honest feedback. We are pleased that you found the location to be good and Andre to be friendly. Reference your room with the lack of hooks I shall personally look into this. As for the mattress being a cheap foam block I can categorically assure you without going into the technicalities of mattress construction that this mattress is not a cheap foam block, quite the opposite this mattress costs almost twice that of a mattress that can actually sag in the middle. The construction of this mattress does not enable sagging, it is simply impossible.
I note your issues with the breakfast. If I could begin here by pointing out that your booking included a continental breakfast. You were however provided with a 'Cooked Breakfast' as well as a continental breakfast at no extra charge.
As you rightly point out "veggie sausages are cheap to buy and easy to keep in the freezer." I would add to this that so is vegetable roll, and a whole variety of other vegetable pastries.
However if we are unaware of a special dietary requirement the freezer is exactly where these food items reside. It is not a case of the chef refusing to accommodate your free and unbooked, cooked breakfast request so much as being unable to meet it as he cannot defrost food at will and rightly refuses to do so with a microwave. We regularly cater for vegetarians, vegans, celiacs and other special dietary requirements.
It is disappointing that your stay did not meet your expectations but your experience seems to be unreflective of the majority of our guests.
We do however hope that you enjoyed Belfast and had a safe and uneventful journey back home.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

I had a trip planned to Belfast (mainly to see the Giant's Causeway via tour bus). I needed a place to stay that would accommodate 3 ladies (2 friends and I). I emailed with them and decided to book one of their rooms. There was an issue upon arrival. They hadn't received my confirmation that I wanted the room! As it was a Saturday night during a popular festival, they were fully booked. With this obstacle, the owner helped us book a room in a nearby hotel and also had a room for us the next night. She gave us free breakfast for Sunday (even tho we hadn't spent the night there) and let us drop our luggage off for the day while we were out seeing the Giant's Causeway.

Breakfast was yummy! Fresh poached eggs along with a few other hot options and the usual cereals, yogurts, toast, juice, coffee, tea, etc.

Our room was a 4 (5?) bed family room with an en suite bathroom and even a little changing room with a small wardrobe. All very comfortable and perfectly clean. It's been recently remodeled, as well, so I'm sure that helped a lot! There are many rooms here, so as another reviewer has said, it's more of a boutique hotel than a traditional B&B. Still a great experience. The owner was a lovely lady and incredibly helpful and understanding about the booking mix up.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank MC M

Hi MC M,
Thank you kindly for taking the time to leave a review. It our pleasure both meeting and accommodating you all. We could not have anyone going to the Causeway in the Winter without having a good cooked breakfast to set them on their way for the day.
We hope you all back home with a few good tales to tell about Belfast and Northern Ireland.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

Really friendly staff , bright clean and comfortable room, which has all basic amenities. Very comfortable bed and linen, great full Irish breakfast - and all at such a good price means we are completely satisfied customers!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Catherine M

Hi Catherine M,
Just to quickly say thank you for your kind words, for taking the time to leave a review and that our door is always open should you wish to return in the future.
Best wishes from all the staff at Botanic Rest.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

I spent only one night at the Botanic Rest, but would happily have stayed longer. I had booked a single room but was given a large double, newly refurbished and modern, with a comfortable bed and a good en suite shower room. The room was spotlessly clean, equipped with a hair dryer and ample tea and coffee supplies. My only criticism was that there was nowhere to put a toilet bag, and no hooks for clothes,in the en suite.
The staff were friendly and helpful, carrying my case to my room, and offering recommendations on things to see and places to eat. It was even suggested that if I would prefer a takeaway I could bring it back and eat it in the guest lounge. This was comfortably furnished and had tea, coffee and fresh milk for the use of the residents. While I was sitting there planning my next day's activities the owner even loaned me the hotel's directory of things to see and do, so that I had all the information I would need.
Breakfast was plentiful and well cooked, with fruit juice, cereal and toast as well as the full Irish, and the service was excellent. At £33 for B&B, this must rate as one of the best value for money deals in Belfast.
Although the exterior of the hotel and the entrance/reception area look a little tired and old-fashioned, the public rooms have character, with lots of original features, and the refurbished bedrooms are crisply modern, with bright en suites.
The hotel is located in the Botanic quarter which has cafes and restaurants of many nationalities. You could eat a different cuisine every night for a week and still not have sampled them all. Although the area is very busy, the hotel is quiet, and I shall stay there again when I visit Belfast.

Hey Jude!
Glad you enjoyed your stay and of course it would be a pleasure to have you stay again.
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.