“£40 for a room with no window and water coming through a hole in the ceiling - shameful service.”
Review of Botanic Rest

Botanic Rest
Ranked #19 of 47 Belfast B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

I came to Botanic Rest by accident - my guesthouse had been double-booked and I was told there was a room for me here. The man at reception welcomed me and told me the room was £40, £6 more than the one I initially booked, but as I was tired I couldn't be bothered to mention this, and paid in cash up front - big mistake! I was then taken to my room, which turned out to be the staff sleeping quarters, down a dodgy corridor and next to a room full of junk. The room had a bed, and was ensuite, but apart from that it was awful. There was no window and the room stank of paint. There was no kettle, no bedside lamp, no toiletries, no hand towel or bathmat. Worse, there was a gaping hole in the ceiling. The room would not secure properly, and the smoke alarm was covered with a plastic bag. The bedclothes, though seemingly clean, reeked of cigarettes. All in all, this resulted in an awful nights sleep, only for me to be woken early by water coming into the room through the hole and splashing onto my luggage. When I went downstairs in my pjs to tell reception, the man was not even surprised - he said that the same thing had happened last week and there was nothing he could do. He didn't even ask if anything was damaged or offer to come and look at the state of the room. I asked for a refund and thankfully he refunded me the full £40, though without a proper apology and with such a lack of interest. I appreciate that double bookings sometimes happen, but I can only imagine this guy intended to sleep elsewhere, pocket my £40 and hope I would be too tired to complain. Shocking service, and completely illegal to charge a guest to stay in a room so dodgy!

• Stayed May 2014
4 Thank Helen W
BotanicRest, Owner at Botanic Rest, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Please read to End.
Hi Helen,
If you are going to tell a story at least tell it right!! You booked a room at a different guesthouse and did not present yourself for Check-in. At 11.00pm they resold your room. At 11.55pm you turned up to find no room. Belfast was completely booked out with not a single room available anywhere.
The other guesthouse phoned us in your presence to see if we could do anything for you. Andre kindly offered to give up his room and it was explained to you that it was not a guest room but was a bed for you (We can hear this being explained to you on the call recording.) It was further explained to you when you arrived and you were shown the room before deciding if you wanted it. This was done purely out of kindness by Andre to prevent you sleeping on the street as you simply could not get a room anywhere else in Belfast. At 11.00am “After Checkout time!!” our plumber was moving a radiator at our request. This is what the drips of water was from. It was nice of you to take a photo of this from the “Back Yard!”
Andre – “The man at reception” most certainly did not tell you the same thing happened “Last week.” His lack of interest was down to shock given that he had explained the nature of accommodating you the night before and given that he also had zero sleep having given you his room to prevent you from being on the street. Our only regret here is that we were decent people. In hindsight we should have left you to walk the Streets of Belfast all night. I firmly believe that “What goes around comes around.” The next time you are in a strange city with nowhere to stay and no prospect of getting anywhere you will not be so lucky. I hope you enjoyed your lie in to 1.30pm and the breakfast which Tony kindly cooked you thereafter.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Thai first
San Jose, California
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Wasn't sure what to expect with a b&b but I know I've always wanted to try one. My husband hates the idea of a b&b, for fear of some old place ran by creepy people and no privacy. This place was the complete opposite. It was modern, clean, nice normal people managed the property, and plenty of privacy. The breakfast in the morning was good and done in a timely manner. The front desk (Andre) was extremely helpful with all of our needs, including tour booking and dinner reservations. My only complaint is the whole credit card issue... It's difficult to find anyone who accepts credit cards in Belfast (maybe when tourism gets bigger here). Other than that, I would highly recommend this place!!!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Perthshire, Scotland
Reviewed 3 May 2014

If there ever was a time to use the phrase "don't judge a book by it's cover" this is it!

Booked 2 nights here with 2 friends on our 1st pleasure trip to Belfast. When we arrived at the front door we all wondered what we were getting ourselves in for and we had a comedy moment when one of us almost refused to go in and when we opened the front door it looked even worse. Once we got checked in and used the communal toilet, we had to convince ourselves it was just a bed for 2 nts and we'll just hang on in there BUT when we got to our room, our opinion changed.
We had a spacious enough room considering there were 3 single beds and a private bathroom which was tiny but clean and had a good shower. We kept laughing at our multi tasking brushing teeth whilst sitting on the toilet because there wasn't much room for anything else.

What would be handy is a hook on the back of the door where you could hang your towel/clothes whilst in the shower. Apart from that, I couldn't ask for anymore.
Breakfast was adequate with a choice of cereals, toast and a hot cooked dish, just as good as any average hotel cooked breakfast.
Location was perfect, plenty of Restaurants, Cafes and Bars around.
Just along the road from The Empire where we went for Friday Night Salsa - most fun I've had in ages!
Would definitely stay here again

Room Tip: Always go for en-suite, the communal bathrooms/toilets aren't as nice
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Located in between the city hall and the queen's university in a nice and quite area. Ideal for a couple. The staff was really friendly and you feel cared for. The room was a bit tiny yet very clean. You have free coffee/tea.. The bathroom is large enough with a big shower. The beds are very comfortable

We would definitely recommand this B&B because it's worth the price.

If we were to go back to Belfast, that's the place we would pick.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, UK
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My first visit to Belfast - picked up this B&B because of its reasonable price and location. The location was indeed excellent - convenient to visit major sites, nice places to eat and drink nearby, feeling safe & home, etc. The room I got was rather tiny but functional. The breakfast was simple (no orange juice and yoghurt) but offered a usual choice of hot foods one expected in any B&Bs in the UK and Ireland. The staff was very friendly. Wifi was working good. I don't know other B&Bs and hotels in Belfast but would consider Botanic Rest again for my future visit to Northern Ireland.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This is an excellent hotel for what you pay. A step above the hostel, the shower and toiler were still shared, but everyone was kind and polite. Very close to the university and lots of amenities around. You can walk easily from City Hall. The staff was very kind and helpful. Beds and facilities were more than sufficient, and breakfast was very good. Suited me very well for my two nights.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Lovely place to stay.
Staff are so friendly, rooms were lovely & clean.
Breakfast was nice.
So close to everything you need!
Great price for such a good location.
Would love to stay again and definitely will be!
Felt like home :)