“room and board ok ripped off by tour”
Review of Botanic Rest

Botanic Rest
Ranked #26 of 49 Belfast B&B and Inns
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“room and board ok ripped off by tour”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Stayed here two nights last week everything was ok even the price as there was a massive crowd in Belfast for the cycle race but I was talked into buying a tour to giants causeway told about luxury coaches and great value. Yes the coach looked new but it squeeked and vibrated and made terrible noises all day making it unbearable to sit on with a driver talking in a very thick accent all day who we couldn't hear because the bus was doing more talking than him. I was then almost pushed into buying a ticket for the rope bridge and causeway which you don't need the rope bridge costs £5.60 if you wish to cross and the giants causeway is free the visitor centre is not needed as its a café and gift shop.I was so glad to get back to Belfast for a pint as I now had a head ache. Then the next day I went into the tourist information centre to make a complaint and there was the exact same ticket not for £25 but for £16 so the guesthouse had added £9 on for themselves ridiculous!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Jonathan w
BotanicRest, Manager at Botanic Rest, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
If this is real...YOU GOT ON THE WRONG BUS!!!!!!!!!! You booked a causeway tour for £25.00 and you got onto a different tour bus.... We do not sell tickets for the company whom you took the Tour with (we see the hateful review you have left them too). There are indeed tickets available for £16.00 in the visitor centre FOR TOURS WITH DIFFERENT COMPANIES!! They are also available at our reception for £16.00 with some other companies but not the one whose bus you claim to have been on!! The only £25 ticket available is with 'Oddessey Coach Tours' (Look them up on Trip Advisor) ring the tourist information centre and ask them the price of a causeway tour with Oddessey- It's £25.00 wherever you purchase it. You most certainly were not ripped off by us. If real you got a £16 tour which you did not enjoy but bought a £25 tour which you did not go on. Ironically you got the tour that you wished for and did not enjoy being sold to on the tour. There are companies who will take you on a FREE tour to the causeway and sell, sell, sell... not my idea of an enjoyable day out! Given that you went to the trouble of calling into the visitor centre to complain about your tour I shall assume that you can go to the trouble of either telephoning me on 02890324820 or emailing me to info@botanicrest.com for a full refund of the tour which you did not take which Oddessey have kindly offered to refund via ourselves. We are not bias towards any tour company they are available at reception purely as it is a service which our guests expect us to offer. Our staff take the tours in order to be knowledgeable about them and they explain what is available from the cheapest upwards you most certainly did not have any staff member try to talk you into anything. If you did not get a detailed explanation of the difference between tours that is because we were crazy busy with so many visitors hence we had many people just ask us to book a particular tour to which we obliged. As I do not see any two day booking at this time from a 'Johnathan' nor from anyone from Edinburgh nor any Tour Ticket to match I would fully encourage you to contact us for your refund and at least we can confirm this is for real.
I am glad you found your room and board sufficient.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Thai first
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I booked to stay at this B&B several months ago and paid fully upfront using Booking.com. When i arrived - double booked and i was shipped off to another B&B - no explanation no apology just tough luck.
My view was that i had booked a double room and being the weekend of the Giro d'Italia weekend they knew they could get double the money by overbooking. Ripped off!!

I stayed in another B&B and was well looked after the review for the place i stayed are far less favourable than this place and owner disclosed that it "happens all the time".

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank gelert_tucker
BotanicRest, Manager at Botanic Rest, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Hi gelert_tucker,
I hope you enjoyed your visit to Belfast over the Giro weekend. Firstly you're booking was not a fully prepaid booking, secondly you requested a smoking room but booked a non smoking room as we do not permit smoking on the premises and thirdly you provided a phone number and email address both of which did not work. You did however provide a name and an address which was already in our reservation system as you stayed before. The staff specifically remembered you and there are notes on the booking. You stayed for two nights in Nov and continued to smoke in the room having been requested not to on several occasions. A decision was therefore made not to take your booking. Booking.com where informed. Two weeks later they too were unable to contact you and informed us not to cancel your booking. Thus we booked a room for you at a guesthouse which was close by and where we knew there would be no issue with you smoking in-house. You are correct, you did not receive a grovelling apology but you received an alternative room in a guesthouse which you where clearly happy with which cost us twice the price.
As it happens we did have an overbooking situation as did many hotels in Belfast on a day when there where some 300,000 visitors for the Giro. The owner of the guesthouse where you did stay disclosed that overbookings "happen all the time". That is quite right and I do not think she was referring to us but to accommodation in general. Unlike some others we do NOT operate a policy of purposely overbooking to compensate for 'No Shows.' We and many others had contingency plans in place to deal with any situations which could arise. A nearby hotel had two of our rooms booked for exactly this reason and used them on the day.
I think you now know where to stay and where not to stay in Belfast in the future. If you wish to discuss this further, pay for the value of the room you booked with us or indeed pay the cleaning charge from your last stay please either call me on 02890324820 or email me on info@botanicrest.com.

Travellers are raving about these Belfast hotels

Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

I came to Botanic Rest by accident - my guesthouse had been double-booked and I was told there was a room for me here. The man at reception welcomed me and told me the room was £40, £6 more than the one I initially booked, but as I was tired I couldn't be bothered to mention this, and paid in cash up front - big mistake! I was then taken to my room, which turned out to be the staff sleeping quarters, down a dodgy corridor and next to a room full of junk. The room had a bed, and was ensuite, but apart from that it was awful. There was no window and the room stank of paint. There was no kettle, no bedside lamp, no toiletries, no hand towel or bathmat. Worse, there was a gaping hole in the ceiling. The room would not secure properly, and the smoke alarm was covered with a plastic bag. The bedclothes, though seemingly clean, reeked of cigarettes. All in all, this resulted in an awful nights sleep, only for me to be woken early by water coming into the room through the hole and splashing onto my luggage. When I went downstairs in my pjs to tell reception, the man was not even surprised - he said that the same thing had happened last week and there was nothing he could do. He didn't even ask if anything was damaged or offer to come and look at the state of the room. I asked for a refund and thankfully he refunded me the full £40, though without a proper apology and with such a lack of interest. I appreciate that double bookings sometimes happen, but I can only imagine this guy intended to sleep elsewhere, pocket my £40 and hope I would be too tired to complain. Shocking service, and completely illegal to charge a guest to stay in a room so dodgy!

• Stayed May 2014
4 Thank Helen W
BotanicRest, Owner at Botanic Rest, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Please read to End.
Hi Helen,
If you are going to tell a story at least tell it right!! You booked a room at a different guesthouse and did not present yourself for Check-in. At 11.00pm they resold your room. At 11.55pm you turned up to find no room. Belfast was completely booked out with not a single room available anywhere.
The other guesthouse phoned us in your presence to see if we could do anything for you. Andre kindly offered to give up his room and it was explained to you that it was not a guest room but was a bed for you (We can hear this being explained to you on the call recording.) It was further explained to you when you arrived and you were shown the room before deciding if you wanted it. This was done purely out of kindness by Andre to prevent you sleeping on the street as you simply could not get a room anywhere else in Belfast. At 11.00am “After Checkout time!!” our plumber was moving a radiator at our request. This is what the drips of water was from. It was nice of you to take a photo of this from the “Back Yard!”
Andre – “The man at reception” most certainly did not tell you the same thing happened “Last week.” His lack of interest was down to shock given that he had explained the nature of accommodating you the night before and given that he also had zero sleep having given you his room to prevent you from being on the street. Our only regret here is that we were decent people. In hindsight we should have left you to walk the Streets of Belfast all night. I firmly believe that “What goes around comes around.” The next time you are in a strange city with nowhere to stay and no prospect of getting anywhere you will not be so lucky. I hope you enjoyed your lie in to 1.30pm and the breakfast which Tony kindly cooked you thereafter.
San Jose, California
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Wasn't sure what to expect with a b&b but I know I've always wanted to try one. My husband hates the idea of a b&b, for fear of some old place ran by creepy people and no privacy. This place was the complete opposite. It was modern, clean, nice normal people managed the property, and plenty of privacy. The breakfast in the morning was good and done in a timely manner. The front desk (Andre) was extremely helpful with all of our needs, including tour booking and dinner reservations. My only complaint is the whole credit card issue... It's difficult to find anyone who accepts credit cards in Belfast (maybe when tourism gets bigger here). Other than that, I would highly recommend this place!!!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Perthshire, Scotland
Reviewed 3 May 2014

If there ever was a time to use the phrase "don't judge a book by it's cover" this is it!

Booked 2 nights here with 2 friends on our 1st pleasure trip to Belfast. When we arrived at the front door we all wondered what we were getting ourselves in for and we had a comedy moment when one of us almost refused to go in and when we opened the front door it looked even worse. Once we got checked in and used the communal toilet, we had to convince ourselves it was just a bed for 2 nts and we'll just hang on in there BUT when we got to our room, our opinion changed.
We had a spacious enough room considering there were 3 single beds and a private bathroom which was tiny but clean and had a good shower. We kept laughing at our multi tasking brushing teeth whilst sitting on the toilet because there wasn't much room for anything else.

What would be handy is a hook on the back of the door where you could hang your towel/clothes whilst in the shower. Apart from that, I couldn't ask for anymore.
Breakfast was adequate with a choice of cereals, toast and a hot cooked dish, just as good as any average hotel cooked breakfast.
Location was perfect, plenty of Restaurants, Cafes and Bars around.
Just along the road from The Empire where we went for Friday Night Salsa - most fun I've had in ages!
Would definitely stay here again

Room Tip: Always go for en-suite, the communal bathrooms/toilets aren't as nice