All reviewsshared bathroomcity centretriple roombotanic gardensfree wifitrain stationshort staywater pressureminute walkfamily roomqueens universitybreakfast was includedone night stayulster frybars and restaurantstea and coffeecomfy bed
Reviewed 24 October 2017 via mobile

Myself and my partner stayed here for two nights on a city break to Belfast.

On arrival, we met a friendly receptionist called Thomas who checked us in. He was informative and advised us that the city centre was only two stops away by train, and the train station was a short walk up the street. Reception is open from 07.00-20.00 daily.

Good points about the hotel:
• overall decor of the communal space/hallways (see picture) was decent, inc. the dining room. Unfortunately I didn’t get any pictures of the bedroom but it was decorated neutrally and not too much furniture rammed in
• the breakfast was good I thought, the Ulster Fry was a highlight and it was just enough to get going in the morning without being too big a portion. Wide selection of toast, tea, coffee and cereals available also, along with other hot food.
• the place seemed clean enough......

Areas of weakness:
• ......but there are improvements that could be made, like a coffee cup stain that was in the hallway when we arrived and wasn’t wiped up over the nearly 3 days that we were there.
• the mattresses were far too firm for my taste
• only one quite flat pillow per person - however, I asked for extra and on the second request we came away with extra pillows
• the en-suite was TINY
• shower was a bit hit and miss in that the water sometimes stopped mid-shower but the water pressure was good when it was going!!
• no lift so not suitable for people with mobility issues

The area was pretty central, but we were very aware of being in the student quarter of the city - a little “grotty” in places (which is no disrespect to students, just telling it like it is). There was some noise but not so much that it disturbed us. We found that the train into city centr took you too far almost, and that walking was better to get to the restaurants and bars. On street parking was minimal and there didn’t appear to be many spaces.

Overall, it suited our needs which were a place to get our head down & have some breakfast in the morning. I wouldn’t necessarily recommend it outright but for those more budget minded and more relaxed about the finer details of accommodation then it would be a sound choice.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jonty86
Reviewed 14 October 2017 via mobile

We were happy to be in Belfast for a few days. Botanic rest gave us a good value for the money. The staff was very willing to make us feel welcome and at home. The room was as promised, the breakfast good and the service excellent. The tips for sightseeing were fitted for us, and all of it made our trip to Belfast a trip to remember.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2017

Visiting Belfast was a spur of the moment thing. I booked a room here and didn't know what to expect when I arrived but I was pleasently surprised. The staff was extremely nice, breakfast was delicious. The room was clean, tidy and comfortable and the location was absolutely perfect. You can get into the city centre in 10/15 minutes if you walk, the train station is just 2 minutes away and there are loads of places to eat nearby. Would love to come back one day! :)

Stayed: September 2017
Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

Arrived, checked in, dropped cases and headed out .... Arrived back to no lights in our room, poor girl in reception tried so hard to locate trip switch with no luck so brought us a lamp to use, after sleeping in a small clean bed, with one flat pillow we headed for a shower in the tiny bathroom to have water burning hot or cold with broken thermostat and a leaking small shower head and one small towel each, not even a hand towel to use in bathroom only teletext on tv, we ventured down for breakfast ....... Where do I start, it was 8.55 am and dining room full so was asked to sit in lounge, a very miss jointed room, we waited and waited then a gut came and asked us to choose our breakfast, full English, omelette, boiled eggs or scrambled we chose 3 English after now waiting 40 minutes we asked for some tea which they brought us a pot no cups etc then we started looking for cups and 5 mins later 3 breakfasts got plonker on table, no cutlery etc shocking we asked to move into the dining room instead of the dark dingy lounge ..... we got our own cutlery, toast sauce etc and sat down to a luke warm breakfast with hard egg, we were hungry and a bit hungover so ate it .... the choice of cereal that we should have had was corn flakes or rice crispies and choice of diluted orange or blavkcurrent squash, we stayed our 2nd night with lights in our room, arrived for breakfast at least we got a table ordered breakfast and asked for runny yolk to go with our deep fried sausage, 1 slice if bacon and tablespoon if beans we got another hard boiled...... we just ate it as yes again we were a little hungover again from the fabulous bars up in city centre. The manager was suppose to come and see us but surprise surprise he had a doctor's appointment on Saturday and his day off was Sunday, the young lady from reception needs a medal as she tried so hard and was so apologetic towards us, but it wasn't here fault.... we paid 270.00 for a triple room for 2 nights totally been raped !!!!!!!!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank lisadinga
Reviewed 5 October 2017

My husband and I had a twin share room on the top floor. It was a tiny room but the beds were clean and very comfortable. the bathroom left a lot to be desired although clean it was extremely small and difficult to manouvre around. Breakfast was ok. The volunteer staff from overseas were very obliging and attempted to assist in anyway they could. I would not class this establishment as a BnB, it is more like a hostel. If you want a quiet place to stay I wouldn't stay here there are students everywhere and then tend to hang around the streets until the wee hours of the morniing and are very noisy

Room Tip: No tips, I would not stay here again
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family