“Handy location but no privacy”
Review of Hotel Etap Belfast

Hotel Etap Belfast
Ranked #30 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed here for one night - booked directly through the Ibis website for a cheap rate, paid little extra for breakfast as I didn't know the area, but there is lots of lovely cafes and eateries nearby so I'd recommend going there as brekkie wasn't worth the extra money.

Bedroom was clean and fit for purpose however please be aware if there are more than two of you - it is quite cramped.
Overall it was cheap and cheerful, however the biggest negative for us was the toilet doors are "saloon" type doors with large gaps at the top and bottom so anyone in the room with you can hear you on the toilet, which is embarrassing and wholly unnecessary!

If you're on your own or as a couple and need somewhere cheap to stay in the centre of Belfast, this is highly recommended.

Room Tip: They're all pretty small!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Running_Epilogue
Patrice R, General Manager at Hotel Etap Belfast, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We treat all of our comments with the utmost seriousness. I am sorry that you were sisapointed by the room design. I hope that this will not deter you of using our hotel in the future.Kind regards, Patrice Renault, General Manager

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I stayed here for a night out for a friend's birthday. The room was small and very basic, although clean. The room has a capacity for 3 people (bunk bed above the double bed) and if three people where in one room, it would be extremely cramped. We paid £70 for this room for one night (no breakfast included) which I feel was very expensive, especially for this level of basic-ness.
The 'ensuite' facilities were not separate from the bedroom. The toilet is in the bedroom with nothing but a swing door for privacy. It does not properly close and there is no lock on the door. The shower is also in the room meaning you must get dried and changed in the middle of the room in full view of your friend.
I would not stay here again, and for anyone that does stay, I would recommend bringing a friend or partner that you are not shy around. I understand it is a budget hotel, but this is pushing it. I would definitely prefer Premier Inn. For a similar price you get more value for money and they are generally much nicer.
Also, we were staying for a night out so we weren't back in our room until late. But I imagine that anyone staying here and not going for a night out, would be very annoyed at the level of noise coming from the club next door. It is definitely not a place for a romantic or peaceful break. Would not recommend.

Room Tip: Stay in a Premier Inn instead.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank S S

Thank you for your feedback. We treat all of our comments with the utmost seriousness. I am sorry about the disturbance that you have experienced with the noise coming form the pub next door and by the room design. I hope that this will not deter you of using our hotel in the future.Kind regards, Patrice Renault, General Manager

Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my girlfriend and best mate in a triple room last week. We're not a typically coupley couple but some back home found this odd!

Our first thought when we walked in was, very clean and modern if a little compact. The open sink and partially frosted shower and thin door on the khazi mean that you should be comfortable around each other if you are thinking of staying here.

The matress was a little firm but the triple bunk layout was sturdy enough. The fitted blinds meant that the room stayed dark at night.

Staff were friendly and there was a lively bar on one side and a cracking little pizzeria the other.

Perfect base of operations for a city visit; would definitely stay again in future.

The vibe I got was that it was suited to a younger crowd/groups. You may want to consider if this is your bag!

Weekday prices were very reasonable, happened to be double for our last night (Friday) kind of expected but once you're creeping up to the £100 mark you kinda want more.

This stopped it short of the 5 for me, in summary, think of it as a posh private roomed hostel.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Patrice R, General Manager at Hotel Etap Belfast, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Thank you very much for your kind review. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon. Kind regards, Patrice Renault, General Manager

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Stayed over for a weekend, reasonable price in this new hotel. Everything clean and the rooms functional. The staff on reception friendly. The location is good so you can walk into the centre easily. Stayed on the 4th floor and had a quiet night, the pub next door was closing as I got back but no real noise to worry about. I would use this hotel again when I come back to Belfast.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I just spent 2 nights at the Etap with my husband in one of the Capsule rooms on the second floor.

For the price, there is really nothing to complain about - the room was small but well designed and very clean. The shower cubicle is literally next to the bed, the toilet door doesn't quite meet the floor and the sink was in the room but this wasn't a problem really as long as you've no secrets from your roomie : )

There was no kettle, phone or hair dryer, but you can borrow the latter from reception. The reception staff were all incredibly friendly and helpful. We arrived early before check in and were able to leave our bags while we went off to get lunch.

The only problem we had was with noisy guests who enjoyed shouting up and down the corridor after their super-fun late nights out, but I guess that's a down side of staying in a budget city hotel.

We didn't have breakfast in the hotel; there isn't a separate dining room, you eat just off reception which felt a bit weird. We ended up going to the Wetherspoon's a few doors down (opens at 8am) for bacon butties/bagels etc.

If driving, there is an NCP car park down the road exactly opposite the hotel (not sign posted) and the Etap can get you some money off an overnight stay. Don't get caught out like we did, tried to pick up our hire car at 8.30 Sunday morning and it was closed til 9.

There's nothing luxurious about the Etap and 2 nights was enough, but we would use it again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MCornell
Patrice R, General Manager at Hotel Etap Belfast, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Thank you very much for your kind review. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry that you were disturbed by noise during youir stay. We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon. Kind regards, Patrice Renault, General Manager

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Booking the hotel was quick and easy.
Upon arrival heading to main desk we asked if we could check in - at 10:20am - knowing that check ins started at 12pm. (We thought we would give it a go) the receptionist at the front had a look and said we could... However she suggested that we waited for a room which was on the other side of the building due to the noise that the local bar, Filthy McNasty's, generates due to its popularity at night.
So we waited. And a little while later the same receptionist came to us and asked if we would like to check in - she had found us a room available. Perfect customer service.

Rooms:

The room a reasonable size but it is best to be noted that the privacy in the rooms is not ideal for friends that prefer closed doors.
The bathrooms are open and only a masked glass to stop people in the room seeing into shower (see pictures).
The toilet is also lacking privacy due to it not having a door and more of a toilet stall door (you can put your feet so they stick out into the room) with NO locks. So aside from the noise it's can probably put people off from using the toilet inside the rooms... (Just as a heads up).

Enjoyable weekend so far and will recommend to friends that wish to visit Belfast.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Patrice R, General Manager at Hotel Etap Belfast, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

We were staying for one night just for the concert in the Odyssey. Hotel is centrally located to all the major attractions. Room was on the small side and at 2 am in the morning there were people roaring outside our door. As there was no phone to ring to reception I couldn't inform you, and I was nervous to get involved. Booked for breakfast and it was a continental option. It was very substantial. Found the staff pleasant and the room was very clean. Would recommend but I would ensure to ask for a quieter room.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends