“No bad...no perfect”
Review of Carlitos Restaurant - CLOSED

Carlitos Restaurant
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

I gone to Carlitos last Saturday. We arrived at 3pm there isn't too customer so the service was fast and waiter has been nice and professional. The starts are fine! The problems arrived with pizza and main dish! The dough didn't cook in the middle of pizza and spaghetti of my friends cooked long time! For close our lunch we drink two coffee and two limoncello and the waiter offer us these drink to apologize for the problem with main course! So no bad...no perfect!

Reviewed 11 May 2014

This restaurant was chosen because of the close proximity to the Queen's Film Theatre located just minutes away. It is in no way my first choice when coming to Botanic Avenue to eat, however, given it was a Sunday evening options were limited.
To begin with the restaurant wasn't very busy and we were unsurprised by this given that it was late on a Sunday evening. The waitress was friendly and we were served quite quickly. As we ate the server regularly checked to see if all was well, which it always was, In exception to this the waitress did forget the side order and had to be asked, surprising given how quiet the restaurant was.
Food was decent and good value for money. However, Italian restaurants have a strong presence in the area and feel out of the three this restaurants it lacks the character that the others have.
Overall, I did enjoy the experience but feel on a given day with plenty of options in the area the Restaurant would sadly not be my first choice

Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

Good points : waiter welcoming. Cocktails were good. Antipasti quite tasty.

Unfortunately come the bad points :

We Were offered a far too large table for just a couple.
The door was openned even though it was during the evening. Altough it was closed when we were half way trough the main dish.
We had to ask for water.
The pasta were not well cooked white wine sauce turned out to be a lot of butter. So too greasy and poor ingredients were used for the main dish.
But according to the price per dish we wouldn't have bothered that much about it. Thing is we were not offered any deserts at all they even switch off the kitchen's lights as if they simply waited for us to leave asap.

This is actually not the original brand carlito's but the new one. Still in the end quite dispointing.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

My husband and I ate in here yesterday. We were seated and waited on our meal which took quite a while to come out even though the restaurant was pretty empty. I had specifically told the waiter that as the pizza comes with chillies, and I love spicy food, to tell the chefs to make sure it was spicy.

While we waited on the meal one of the waiters came to the table next to us and covered the table in some sort of disinfectant. That's all well and good keeping up the hygiene but not so much with two diners sitting right next to it! I could actually taste it, it was that strong!

When our pizzas did arrive I noticed straight away that there was a huge amount of cheese on them, as my husband is not a massive fan of cheese. I also noticed that it was burnt in places near the outside of the pizza, with pools of grease on the inside. Of the few pieces of pepperoni I actually got on the pizza, all were black! I was extremely hungry, having just come home from a 5 hour journey and this had taken so long to arrive, so I figured how bad could it be. I usually have black pepper, but as the waiter had disappeared without offering us anything more I began to eat.

As I cut into the pizza I realised that it was literally so dripping with grease that it was making the base incredibly soggy. I tried lifting it to eat it, but there was so much grease even on the bottom that it covered my hand. I had to use my napkin to blot the grease and had to take a second napkin off the table beside us as there was so much to mop up. Incidentally, I couldn't even taste the chillies!

During our entire meal not one waiter came near us to ask if everything was ok even though I was moping up the grease in full view of the counter. In the end I ate what I could then boxed the rest for our dog and left very disappointed and quite nauseous.

I felt compelled to write in, as I have lived in Newtownards and our favourite Italian was Carlitos, so I know what standard the food is usually at. Those guys work incredibly hard and always make you feel welcome, showing huge pride in the food they serve and the service they provide.

I had eaten in this Belfast branch in October for my brothers birthday and the service and food was everything I was used to in Newtownards. I don't know whats changed in the past 6 months but something has gone wrong. I would have scored this a zero but due to previous visits and the Newtownards branch I raised the score.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

We visited this place because it happened to be over the road from our hotel, and we were very very glad we did. The meal was great the waiter was very good, atmosphere is really nice and we will definitely be going back if we are in the area again, well worth a visit