“Best Malmaison yet!”

Ranked #24 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Edinburgh
“Best Malmaison yet!”
Reviewed 22 October 2011

Stayed here for a two night break with my husband while attending a function in the Odyssey Arena. The location was fabulous for both the city and the venue and we really enjoyed having a good wander around exploring Belfast.
The decor was the usual Mal style and the rooms were a good size. We enjoyed the bar area and loved the cocktails. Some unusual blends and we sampled many of these on the 2 for 1 offer which was running! The restaurant was beautifully designed and the breakfast was really good - I can recommend the boiled eggs and omlette.
We had room service on both evenings and the food was good quality and piping hot. On our first night, while we were waiting on our meal, the fire alarm went off. It was nice to have our meal re-prepared freshly on our return back into the building. (On a side note, the last time we stayed in a Mal (Glasgow) our night was also disturbed by a late night fire alarm!)
All in all, a great weekend and I would say probably the best Mal we have stayed in!! Can't wait to go back!

1 Thank KayeD

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Manchester, UK
Reviewed 20 October 2011

I stayed at the Malmasion for 2 nights in July 2011. It has the distinctive hallmarks of a Malmaison - trendy boutique conversion of a lovely old 19th century merchant warehouse building, with impressive reception, lobby, bar, etc, subdued lighting.... My room was compact but had everything you'd need and was spotlessly clean; the bed was wonderfully comfortable and huge! My only complaint about the room I was in was there was quite a lot of road noise as I was in a room facing Victoria St (a busy city centre route), and the secondary glazing didn't do much to reduce the noise when the traffic started at 7.30am. I did ask if I could be transferred to a a room not facing the road but there were none available; I guess the moral of the story is if you are a light sleeper then ask when you book for a room away from the main road!

All of the staff I encountered throughout the hotel were excellent and check-in/check-out was speedy & efficient. I didn't eat at the hotel restaurant but it looked pretty chic and seemed busy every evening(which is usually an indication that it's good), plus I've heard good reviews from locals who dine there frequently.

The hotel is located is a little way from the main part of Belfast city centre, in a slightly quieter area. This may unnerve some people, especially lone travellers, but I felt pretty safe walking around at night. And Belfast has such a small compact city centre that doesn't really matter too much unless you have mobility issues. Hint for those arriving by train - the hotel is a bit of walk from both of the city's main train stations (Gt Victoria Street and Central) so I'd suggest getting a taxi.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper ask for a room away from Victoria Street.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Mcr-traveller13
San Diego, California
Reviewed 18 October 2011

I was pleasantly surprised with this hotel. The outside is so classic, but the rooms are modern, large and clean. There is no parking, but there is a structure behind the hotel that you can use. We got a really good deal--something like £115 for the room and included a £75 food voucher! I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nettersbetter
Reviewed 15 October 2011

We stayed in the hotel after hearing mixed reviews. For what we paid for it didn't live up to standards. We found the rooms did not live up to what you would expect, the shower handle fell off, the windows and carpets were dirty, when u paid for sumthing you expect to get it especially small things like rooms being cleaner.don't get me wrong staff are nice and it's a good loction for the city but I can't help but think they prices need to be more realistic for there standard.

• Stayed September 2011
Ireland
Reviewed 8 October 2011

What a great hotel. The room was fab, so modern and new. the Bar had a really nice relaxed vibe to it. The reception and entire hotel was trendy boutique style hotel. the food was good and the location was excellant. will definately be heading back

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Keane79
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2011

Was visiting Belfast for the weekend and wanted a slightly nicer hotel than the Days Inn or Travelodge. Had previously stayed at Ten Square but that was fully booked so I thought I would try the Malmaison having been to the bar once or twice.

What an excellent decision that was. The hotel was superb. The room was very comforable, if perhaps a little warm, the service friendly and unintrusive, the breakfast menu was varied and tasty and to top it all off, I had booked under the Sham-Rocking package (available online) which included free cocktails on arrival and tickets to go on a musical tour of Belfast. The cocktails were excellent (so we had more than just the free one) and the musical tour was really interesting and well worth doing.

As I was checking out I booked my next visit. Need I say more?

1 Thank M5835ULandym
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2011

Ive have just been on 3 day break to belfast and stayed at this hotel, and loved every minute of it,(belfast and hotel) i was able to check in early as the room was ready and was immediatly made welcome by all staff (lovely happy people) room was well presented and clean bed linen and towels changed daily, cocktails amazing lovely bar staff, lovely waitress(wish id took names) lovely breakfast!! i didnt want to leave *sob sob, perfect location, cant wait to go back, had a fantastic time!!! :)))))))))

1 Thank HappyH976