“Really great, unique stay in a trendy hotel”
Review of Malmaison

Malmaison
Ranked #24 of 45 Hotels in Belfast
London, United Kingdom
“Really great, unique stay in a trendy hotel”
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Having stayed in Belfast a few times before, Malmaison has always piqued my interest but never gotten around to booking into it.

For a special occasion this weekend myself and my partner stayed for a night. It's a little more expensive than similar hotels in the city centre, so I was a little put off about staying unless it was for a special occasion.

The hotel is gorgeously gothic, inside and out, and is a really unique building within the modern and burgeoning Cathedral Quarter area of Belfast. Especially easily accessible if driving as it's just off the westlink if you're coming in on the M1/A1 from the South.

Though the hotel website suggest the nearby Hi-Park Car Park I wouldn't recommend it. I would go literally a street further north to Talbot Street and park in the Q-Park at The Mac/Saint Anne's Square. It cost me just £10 for 24 hours parking on a Friday evening-Saturday evening. Convenient, new, spacious and cheap!

Our room in the hotel was facing the street, though it got a bit noisy through the night and quite a number of ambulances/loud cars passed by it was overall a great sleep, uninterrupted.The walls between the rooms are a little thin and we could hear next door's TV quite clearly all morning but that's something which maybe cannot be helped.

The room was magnificient. Really luxurious and opulent with rich curtains, comfortable bed, neatly stored appliances and even a built-in DVD player. The bathroom was something to behold with a drench shower, lots of own branded toiletries and overall just lovely furnishings.

Only wished we could have stayed an extra night! The breakfast seemed completely overpriced for what was offered so we didn't even toy with the idea. We went about a three minute walk into the city centre and both ate a full, hot, Ulster Fry for less than Malmaison was charging for a contintental breakfast for one. Some improvement there, maybe?

The woman on reception was the same for us for both check-in and check-out and was full of questions about our trip and what we were doing/seeing which made it more personal and she was very professional, helpful and interested in her guests.

Next time we will definitely check out the (24 hours) bar in the hotel - there wasn't a seat free when we tried to go in!

1 Thank iPadz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Chesterfield
Reviewed 12 April 2013

This is our second trip to this lovely hotel. We love the brilliant location which is a stones throw from shopping, bars, clubs etc. The staff as always were super friendly and nothing was too much effort. The hotel has a very romantic ambience with the crush velvet decor, low level lighting in all the right places. The restaurant has a nautical theme but very nicely done. We only ate breakfast here which was superb. They had there own home made cereal which was divine.
We love the city of Belfast only made better by the consistent quality of Malmaison.
Although we travelled as a couple this was a business stay over and judging from the type of people sat eating breakfast it was popular with business people.
We would have given our room a 5 rating for sleep quality but unfortunately the people in the room above us took to tap dancing at "silly o'clock" in the morning. Not much the staff could have done about this really so we didn't feel it was worth complaining.

Room Tip: The best rooms for views are on the first floor overlooking the main road. Our room was perfectly fi...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2013

We won a weekend stay at this hotel courtesy of a radio competition. We hired a car and drove around the area for days before.
The hotel was easy to find, but the entrance wasnt. There isnt a Reception plaque on the door.
Reception was a bit dark all being black and purple. I didnt know whether to book in or have a seance.

The Reception staff were delightful, knew bus times and where best to walk too, and local activities and were always cheerful and helpful. They need special thanks.

The lift was strange with black velvet padded ceilings.

The room was really nice but dark again.

The coffee was lovely but weird to use. Hanging it on the cups??? Odd !

Doors slam too easily, theres no slow closure on the door hinge, its SLAAAAAM !

The Housekeeping staff were lovely and friendly.
Shame the supervisors cupboard for her computer was soooooo tiny, her chair in the hallway.
The housekeeping staff quick to get us extra coffee and even fresh milk. it was so cold outside and we needed top ups. And they took pity on me. The Housekeeping need special thanks they are a credit.

The breakfast was lovely and the staff knew the history of the building which was great.
Music a bit loud though for the morning.

The choice of entertainment in the ladies toilet was weird, excerpts from the Goons. I am old enough to remember LOL.

The main bar was great, loved the decor and cushions and rhe chocolates on the bar.

Special thanks to the bar staff especially the newly married barman who kindly put the football on the TV for my husband while we waited to go back to the airport. We stored our luggage and had a drink until it was time to leave. That was perfect as our flight was not until late afternoon.

An enjoyable central location.

Room Tip: Higher up away from general dining area.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2013 via mobile

Spent a Friday and Saturday night here last month to celebrate my fiancé's birthday. Splashed out and booked a superior room with a total cost of £306.00 for bed and breakfast. Arrived and checked in with no problems with a friendly and helpful receptionist. Got to the room and everything was fine...the only issue being the darkness for anyone trying to do makeup etc. A light over the mirror could easily sort this out.
Anyway, went down for a few cocktails and some bar snacks. These were tasty but all quite pricy so the cost quickly adds up after a few hours in the bar.
After that we went back to the room to go to bed. Tried to sleep but unfortunately our room had a door adjoining the next room. Whilst we didn't have a problem with the door being there, it was not properly soundproofed. In fact we could hear every single word that was being said by the guests next door (even though they weren't being in any way loud). So that alone unfortunately kept both of us awake late into the night (even after 4 cocktails each). I also found the pillows of poor quality for a hotel.

So, the next morning we went to reception and without causing any fuss, asked for a new room. This was quickly organised and a few hours later we were shown to our new room. The new room was much smaller not being a superior room which I was disappointed in. I assume they had no superior rooms available. Other than that the room was fine and we both had a much better nights sleep. I was a bit disturbed by a big brown stain on the sheets though which made me feel a bit paranoid not known if it was what I though it was. At this stage I couldn't have been bothered complaining and just sucked it up.

Checked out the following morning and we were charged for two nights in a superior room so we informed the receptionist that it was not a superior room the second night. She reduced the second nights rate by £20.00 to the regular room rate (I assume this was correct but never actually checked). She made a comment that she would put a note beside my name saying that i don't like adjoining rooms. I found that comment slightly rude, belittling our complaint (maybe she was trying to be helpful, I couldn't quite tell).

To summarise, I spent around £500.00 over the weekend in the hotel between the room, food and drinks over the two nights. I left feeling £500 poorer with no good memories to make it feel worth while. Actually feeling a little unappreciated for my custom. I spend a lot of time in hotels and find that a mid range hotel such as a premier inn is usually consistent and you leave feeling like you have got good value for money.

There, rant over.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul D
belfast
Reviewed 6 April 2013

Stayed one night for dinner b and b. Had a lovely meal in the brasserie. Very nice staff in all departments. Comfortable bed. Close to Cathedral quarter, good bars etc. Didnt Notice any noise at night.

Ballymena
Reviewed 5 April 2013

Stayed here for one night over Easter and was really impressed. The hotel has a nice feel about it and the lobby is welcoming and comfortable. The check in staff were really pleasant. The room itself was really nice. There were a couple of things that could have been better - the bed was rock hard and I agree with other reviews that the lighting in the bathroom isn't great for doing make up! Both small issues really. The hotel is in a great location in the centre of Belfast and I will definitley stay again. I didn't have the breakfast, so can't comment on that. But did order a late night snack on room service and thought it was very reasonable.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2013

Due to the bad weather cancelling our trip to London we decided to go all out and book a superior twin for two nights. On arrival the ladies at reception were very engaging and helpful. Despite the power cuts across the city we got sorted with our room. Very big room and reasonably priced for a 4star hotel in a capital city. Was quite a gothic design which suited our style. The shower was powerful could have stood in it all day. Food was a tad expensive but again the quality was top notch. The waitresses were very friendly and took time to have conversation. The breakfast was disappointing though. For the cost there could have been a greater selection from the buffet and more pieces from the grill. Apart from that very good

• Stayed March 2013