“What's happened to Malmaison?”
Review of Malmaison

Malmaison
Ranked #24 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Manchester, United Kingdom
“What's happened to Malmaison?”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I haven't stayed in a Malmaison hotel for a couple of years and I haven't stayed in the Belfast one for a few more. Oh my goodness - what's gone wrong? It was terrible - the room was appalling - dirty, grubby and worn. Got in bed and stayed there to avoid the dirt only to be woken at 1am by creaking floorboards from someone walking round in the room above (not their fault!). The staff were disinterested and distracted both on check in and check out - asked if I was having breakfast I replied that I couldn't remember if I had included it with my booking - so the guy just checked me out and didn't bother looking?! The pictures here are dark, as is the room(nothing has changed there) but you can see clearly the worn appearance. I used to be a fan but a good chain gone wrong in my opinion!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Helen J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
Northern Ireland
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We stayed on a Saturday with a good last minute offer and were very pleased with our choice. The hotel is in a good location, close to a lovely area of Belfast with shops and bars. The architecture of the building is stunning, both inside and out. The inside reception, bar and restaurant are also decorated beautifully. The bar was so relaxing and comfortable we could have stayed there all night, very atmospheric with candles lit on all tables and service was great. The rooms are clean and have comfortable beds and are very roomy. They are very quirky. If you use the car park across the road over night the hotel will do a deal of £10, not bad. The receptionists were very helpful and gave us a few places to visit and eat. Would definitely stay here again and recommend it.

1 Thank lindaking103
Reviewed 29 October 2013

stayed here last night and was disappointed firstly when you check in they expect a £50 deposit in case you take anything from the fridge in your room but if you don't want to leave money they will arrange for it to be taken out. The beds are like a road very hard and uncomfortable aswell as one side being sunk in , to add to this the room above had very sqeeky floor boards we could hear every time they walked on them which was annoying. overall I would not stay in this hotel again.

3 Thank olivia w
Manila, Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 29 October 2013

The hotel is located in the City Centre of Belfast City, which makes everything so accessible from it. I looooove the huge bed. It makes you wanna stay in it all day. :) One thing though, is that the bed linings can be a little rough on the skin, especially right after taking a shower plus the cold weather (sometimes you can get skin burns), but nonetheless, the bed is very comfy. I also enjoyed the soaking in the bathtub after a cold day. Staff are very helpful and accommodating. The floors are wooden, so it can be a little squeaky, especially in the hallway.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

My husband and I stayed here on 19 October 2013, it was very last minute, we didn't even have a toothbrush! That was immediatley remided, the reception not only gave us a toothbrush and paste each, but also gave my husband a shaving kit.
Our room was warm and pleasant, clean and welcoming.
We went for breakfast the next morning, and was greated by a very pleasant girl who showed us to our table and took our order.
The food came promptly, hot and tasty.
I would definatley recommend this hotel.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

After my previous disastrous stay in this hotel I vowed never to return. However, I needed a hotel room in Belfast on a Sunday evening and the Malmaison do offer a great deal on a Sunday evening called the Sunday Stopover. Basically the price of the room is £25 as long as you spend at least £75 in the bar or restaurant. Seeing as I would easily spend that anyway on dinner and cocktails I thought it seemed like a bargain.

On this visit I didn't have any major problems, just a series of small issues that taken together were a bit of a disappointment:

i. When ordering my first drink at the bar I ordered food which didn't arrive, after 25 minutes I enquired about it to be told that there was a 'glitch' with the till i.e. they forgot to put the order through.
ii. In the restaurant we ordered two drinks and while my wife's drink arrived mine did not, it wasn't a big order so difficult to understand how they forgot about it but they did.
iii. The restaurant is fine for breakfast but not really suitable for an evening meal. There is very little space between the tables so little privacy is offered. I did see customers requesting to be moved to other tables because in some cases there's about 18 inches between your table and that of the party beside you. Also the decor needs revamped, on the seat beside us they have patched up a large tear in the upholstery with an iron on patch (see picture). Not exactly very professional.
iv. The food and drink is pricey. All I wanted was a burger which was £15, not exactly scandalous but a little on the high side. My burger was more well done than medium (which is what I had requested) but my wife enjoyed her seabass. The cheapest 'decent' glass of wine was £11 for 250ml and the cocktails in the bar are £8.95. All expensive for Belfast prices.
v. It's only after reading my previous review that I realised I had been allocated the dreaded room 208 that had caused problems on my last stay. Thankfully the issue with the noise of wind blowing through the window has been sorted but it still isn't well sound proofed to the noise of cars on the road outside. This wasn't much of an issue on a quiet Sunday night but it did cause me to waken at 8am the next morning as rush hour began. I would suggest requesting a room to the rear of the hotel.
vi. I know that it's an old building but you can really hear the floor boards above squeaking when anyone in the room above is walking around, I found this to be worse when house keeping were servicing the room above in the morning while I was trying to get a lie in.

Any of these issues taken in isolation isn't a big deal but taken together I would still recommend staying elsewhere if you're paying full price. That said, the Sunday Stopover deal is a bargain and is probably the only reason why I would stay here again. Just for balance I will say that the plus points of this hotel are the friendly staff, great locations and well furnished bedrooms.

Room Tip: Request a room at the rear of the hotel to avoid the noise of the busy road in front of the hotel
1 Thank ewerk1
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We were very impressed with this hotel from the outset. friendly reception staff who really went out of their way to ensure we had a great night by offering a fantastic upgrade. The samson suite was first class and great fun to stay in. We really enjoyed dinner at the mal, great food, friendly effecient staff and relaxed atmosphere. Breakfast was to the same high standard. We look forward to returning soon. The worst part of the experience was having to leave, thanks for a really special stay.

Room Tip: Book the samson suite as its spectacular. We loved it.