“Lovely quirky hotel”

Malmaison
Ranked #24 of 43 Hotels in Belfast
“Lovely quirky hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

I stayed here for one night on business with a group of 9 other colleagues. All of us were really impressed with how spacious and luxurious our rooms were. The bed was comfortable, large with beautiful crisp white bed linen. There was also a well stocked but predictably expensive mini-bar. My bathroom had a huge bath, fluffy towels and lots of quality complimentary toiletries.

The whole group of 10 ate in the hotel bistro. Our table was booked for 7.30pm and despite only 1 other table of 2 in the restaurant, our food didn't arrive until 9.30pm. However when it did arrive everyone agreed it was delicious if a little pricey.

Breakfast was tasty with the full cooked offering having an emphasis on quality rather than quantity. Although if I'd have paid the £15 it cost I would've felt a bit short changed.

Whilst my booking was paid for by my employer I was still required to provide a £50 deposit when checking in. I was asked for a credit card to do this but as I didn't have mine with me I had to hand over my debit card. £50 was duly deducted from my account. Although when I checked out the following morning I was told this would be credited back to my account, this didn't appear until the following week. As this was the last week before payday it left me quite short of funds.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Horsham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Decided to take a trip to Belfast because we found a special offer for the hotel which included dinner, a cocktail and accommodation. We were not disappointed. Hotel is located near the main shopping centre and a 15 minute walk from the Titanic museum - so just right for our needs. It was quiet when we checked in and we were thrilled to get a room upgrade. Our room (106) was spacious and elegant with tv and dvd (typical for Mal). Toiletries are fab. Dinner in the nautical themed bistro was delicious - the staff were friendly, helpful and discreet. We also spent time in the luxurious bar (for the complimentary cocktail!) - more excellent staff. Breakfast was another highlight - homemade bircher muesli and waffles particular highlights. Room overlooked the main road and was a little noisy on our first evening.

Kesh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed with hubby, checked in no problems (strange reception set up!), very friendly staff who were also helpful. Room was fine and this real winner is location, minutes away from city centre and all we wanted!

We ate in the bar one evening, food good and server informative and friendly.......I could t fault the staff at this hotel - liked the bar and the atmosphere in there.
Bathroom skirtings etc a little dusty!

Room Tip: rooms at the front are interesting, people watching on the street below!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Stayed here for our first wedding anniversary and we received a card and mini bottle of Prosecco in the room which was a lovely touch. Service and room lovely, although drains in bath and sink were seriously blocked and room very warm at night.
We dined in the restaurant at night and the service was very slow and food just average.
Our package included a cocktail and that was excellent, along with the bar staff's service.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

Arrived well before checkin time but as the room was available there was no problem handing over the key. Great location - if you like to walk its 20mins to the peace murals and about the same to the Titanic museum with the city centre 5mins. Discount city parking across the road. The hotel bar has plush seating while the room was not big it served our overnight stay perfectly.

Stroud, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

We booked into the Malmaison Belfast as a treat for our trip away to celebrate birthdays and visiting friends who were filming in the area, and it was lovely! Located minutes from the centre and shops it was ideal and met all of our needs.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank KateW-B_12
Lisa S, General Manager at Malmaison, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Kate W-B_12
Thanks for takign the time to comment on TripAdvisor - pleased that we looked after you.
Best Wishes
Lisa S
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

I booked a group of five for a Sunday lunchtime treat. Expecting just the usual brunch menus of Eggs Benedict or a fry, we were astounded that the glorious array of foods , prepared and served by a very friendly and helpful chef were also part of the deal. The selection of hot and cold meats, seafoods, cheeses, breads and all sort of dainties to which you could help yourself was unlimited. One of us even had a fresh crepe made and another had a freshly cooked waffle. All of this was followed by the main menu, which did indeed include a delicious Eggs Benedict for me, but there were also fries and grills for anyone who could face them after the extensive starters on offer. The waiting staff were friendly and helpful, so when I explained that I could not manage a third course from the selection of sweets available, I was offered a coffee instead. This brunch in the Mal's restaurant has to be one of Belfast's best kept secrets. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Lisa S, General Manager at Malmaison, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Audrey062
WOW - thank you for your comments - we're delighted that you enjoyed everything. We love our Sunday Lunch too.
See you back soon?