“rooms were lovely but avoid diner if u like your meat well cooked”
Review of Malmaison

Malmaison
Ranked #24 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Omagh, United Kingdom
“rooms were lovely but avoid diner if u like your meat well cooked”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Decided we would head here for a much needed night away to celebrate 3major events-a birthday,an anniversary and a 1st fathers day. So we arrived on a Sunday using the Sunday saver booking. On arrival we were really pleased with our choice. Hotel is beautifully decorated. Staff were so helpful and pleasant on arrival. We went to our room had a quick look about and went down for 'the biggest lunch in town' in the Brasserie. This is when the disappointment started. Starters were served from the chefs table which were amazing. I just wished I had of taken more since my main was such a disaster. We both ordered roast beef but specified we wanted it cooked well done. (We even joked with the waitress to 'burn it') when it arrived blood was still on our plates. We sent both back but they only cooked one a bit more and the other must have only been kept warm. But it still wasn't well done. After this we didn't see any serving staff for 35mins. She asked if we wanted to order anything else but by this point we had another place to be so we told her how unhappy we were and said she will inform the chef. When we went to leave they tried to charge us for food we hadn't order and even if we did it was included in our room price. This really angered me. I told manager this wasn't acceptable after having a problems with the meal. He just told me "well the chef didn't know how well done you wanted it"!!! Unacceptable!!! If you are a chef and don't understand well done ....well it says it all in my eyes. So we went out and about for a few hours (and got a bag of chips) and came back to unwind in our room. The noise of the next rooms tv was unbearable, I reported it to reception but 2hours later still no difference. We went to the bar which is amazing. Bar staff are amazing and even made me a cocktail not on the menu. Back to our room and finally quiet but the heat was stifling. Changed thermostat in room but didn't make a difference-it made for one uncomfortable nights sleep or lack of. Bathroom was grubby-dust everywhere, hair clumps in drain, really dirty plug holes. Mini fridge had yellow stains inside. Wasn't impressed with cleanliness or customer service of restaurant staff. For the price was expecting a bit more. Even an apology for our diner being ruined would have changed my opinion.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Ottery St. Mary, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

With eight of us staying for two nights something had to go wrong!
Well it did however I must say the hotel looks great. Design and decoration is different than most of the boring modern hotels.
The problems were...
1. Beds are small unless you get an Accessible room where the beds are much wider
2. Cleanliness was poor. One room was not clean with litter on the floor and cups still dirty
3. There is no air conditioning and the fans supplied in each room although efficient are noisy if you need to leave them on all night.
4. Breakfast was a disaster. We arrived in three groups. Four then two then the final two. The two's were served first!, with the four remaining guests waiting 55 minutes for their breakfast. They also waited 30 minutes for their tea/coffee.

Positive points did follow. Our room was changed so we could sleep properly (larger bed) and the eight breakfasts were not added to our bill.

Would we use this hotel chain again? Well, I doubt it in a group of eight however perhaps if just two of us.

Enjoy!

Room Tip: Ask for an Accessible room (wheelchair friendly) as they have larger beds. We were on the third flo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank dhogs
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014

What a fantastic concept this hotel chain has, from the first greeting to the cheeky notes on the complimentary goodies in the room you will be smiling for your whole stay at this hotel. Great atmosphere, food and staff. We will definitely be looking for Malmaison hotels when we book any future holidays.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

We booked this as a special treat before my husband went away to work....we got a very good price by booking through booking.com £62.30 for room only....when we arrived we were greeted by a lovely friendly receptionist behind a desk that looked like an Internet cafe set up. We were upgraded free to a superior room which was a lovely bonus....the room was very spacious with a massive bed and decorated very unique...the toiletries were different and everything matched in with the decor...a mini bar was provided, yes the items were expensive but the easy availability is what you are paying for....£4.50 for a bottle of Heineken when you pay £3.85 in the bar downstairs isn't that bad.
The room was very warm they provided a fan which we had to keep on all night with the window wide open....the temperature outside was only 18c so I wouldn't like to feel the heat in the rooms in the middle of July and August when temperatures are maybe 23c....some kind of air conditioning does need fitted in the rooms someway.
We had drinks in the bar downstairs to which I have to give a special mention to the 2 bar men Mark & Sean....they made our night and we had good crack with them before retiring to bed. Staff members like these certainly make a hotel stay even more enjoyable.
We had a lovely nights sleep and left feeling refreshed...we didn't have breakfast as we had no time to stay. Checking out was easy enough too no hassle at all.
I would love to stay at the Malmaison again and would recommend it for a special stylish night out in Belfast.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank jomca
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed for a long weekend, but didn't use the restaurant. The bar, however, was exceptional, in terms of drinks available and willingness of the staff. It is also a lovely space, with comfortable seating. The hotel room was very nice - couldn't have asked for better - and the position of the hotel is very good for all the attractions. Belfast is amazing!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank razinha1
Dublin
Reviewed 6 July 2014

When I booked online I was offered an opportunity to upgrade if a superior room became available. I decided to avail of this option. When we arrived in the hotel no mention was made of the upgrade superior room being available. Upon check-out next morning I noticed an upgrade charge for a superior room and an additional sum for £29 for beverages. I queried both charges as in my view we had not been given the upgrade room option on check-in to be told it was automatic. If you are being offered a better room for an additional fee you should at least be given this option at check-in and an option, if you wish to see to see the difference between the standard room and the so called superior room. The beverage charge was incorrectly added to our bill and both the upgrade charge and incorrect beverage charge were removed. The hard sell appears to be this group's modus operandi. We were offered breakfast for an additional fee at check-in and when you log in to the wifi you are offered the opportunity to purchase more items ! The room was littered with tubs of crisps and chocolate bars should you wish to purchase them. I wondered wether we had decided to stay in a latter day brach of Woolworths. My advice - loose the hard sell, remove the tat from the rooms and concentrate on getting the basics right. Loose the drab decor and put proper lighting in the room. Only a bat could attempt to read with the lighting in the room. The air conditioning was abysmal and the room was boiling hot.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank templeDublin
Co Down
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

My wife treated me to a birthday stay at this hotel. The check in is very informal, initially thought it was an internet station! But this didn't take away from the excellent service we got, arrived 2.15 and room wasn't quite ready but after a 5 min wait we were told we had an upgrade to a superior room, lovely surprise! All staff very pleasant and room was excellent. Bed very comfortable and some useful toiletries. Wouldn't hesitate in going back

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple