“disappointed :(” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #24 of 43 Hotels in Belfast
Derry, United Kingdom
“disappointed :(”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

Was excited about staying here as had heard great reviews but sadly ended up disappointed and very tired :( To begin when we arrived the rooms weren't ready and we were advised to wait in the bar. The staff who were working on the desk and in the bar at night were really nice though, the room was lovely, the bed was comfy, the tea/coffee facilities, toiletries and all the little touches were top knotch (although the room was a little on the small side) but nothing that would make me give a bad review. However..having been to a concert it was late when I got to bed and as I had taken some holiday time off work was looking forward to a lie-in :) I awoke at around 7.30 to use the bathroom and climbed back into bed, I was just dozing over again when I heard this humming/drone type noise that was endless. I got up and checked to see if the heating or something had come on but there was nothing. I don't know whether it was a heating system/water system (it made the same kind of noise my oil heating makes when it comes on only a LOT louder and continuous) but it knocked on at around 8am and didn't stop after that, making it was absolutely impossible to get back to sleep, in the end I got up and went to the shop hoping by the time I came back it would have stopped. Sadly this was not the case so I tidied up and lay reading until near checkout time. When I went down to check out, the young man on the desk didn't as much as lift his head when he was telling me the bar charges etc or acknowledge me at all. He asked did I want to leave my bags there if I needed to go shopping or anything which I thought was good (most likely policy though and not this young man). However.. when I advised that I couldn't wait to get home because I was so tired and explained why, he was extremely dismissive saying that the heating was off at this time of year so he didn't see what it could be but he would try and look into it, this was all said in a 'cant be bothered with this' type of attitude! The night I arrived I would have said 100% I would be back, but after minimal sleep and attitude towards my complaint I would say this is very doubtful... I've marked it down on value and service though because all the little things are meaningless if you can't get a sleep and get someone with a crappy attitude if you complain!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank caellieh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights . We arrived into Belfast central train station and the taxi rid was £3.90. not far to walk but as we didn't know where we were going it was perfect. The location is great just a short hop into the main shopping area. The hotel is lovely yes it is dark inside but you get used to it. Our room 115 was a nice size to too big and not too small. The bathroom had a love shower and the fluffy white towel on the heated towel rail was more then I have at home.

The staff were friendly giving us a tip to head out into the Cathedral quarter for a really lovely atmosphere and places to eat. Would definitely go back. More of the couple place then family and We decided against breakfast just to pricey.

Room Tip: room 115 was next to a exit door that was used a lot so pick another if you want a quiet nights slee...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cathburk
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

We stayed here in August 2014 and the service was incredible. The hotel was very nice and boutique. It was well designed and though out. I have heard the breakfast is great but unfortunately didn't have time to try it.

I will definitely stay here again.

The only negative was that the room was a bit warm (during the summer) and there was only a fan to cool the room down. This is probably not so much of an issue most of the year in Belfast though,

The bar is great and the reception staff some of the nicest I have ever met.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
Stafford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

I have just returned from a one night stay at the Malmaison Belfast and can thoroughly recommend it.
It's location is great, just minutes from the shops and the main sights of Belfast. As advised we parked in the local car park as the hotel does not have a car park and you get a special rate of £10 for 24hrs. The car park is a couple of minutes walk away but this wasn't a problem for us.
I have read some of the reviews on here about the hotel being 'dark and dingy' and I agree that it is dark but this just adds to the atmosphere at the Malmaison hotels. In the evening when the candles are lit it looks lovely and there was plenty of light in the bedrooms where needed.
Our room was spotless, no dirty sheets or tired furniture and the lovely toiletries and big fluffy towels were appreciated.
We also ate in the brasserie and had a delicious meal. We both had the special main course of the day - steak with half a lobster and a glass of prosecco for £25 which I thought was good value. The cocktails in the bar were excellent and the bar staff were very friendly and helped to recommend what we might like to try. The waiter in the brasserie (he may have been the manager??) was great. His service standards were impeccable and he was knowledgable about the food and wine also. The girls on reception were very friendly and approachable - not at all stern like you can find in some big hotels. Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone that is looking for a stylish hotel in a great city centre location with fantastic food and friendly staff! What more could you want?

• Stayed August 2014
      Location
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

So I booked this hotel through my employers expense tool as usual. The photos on the website looked good. It was for 1 night for a business trip, usually stay in premier inn when I come to Belfast but this looked good. Check in was fine, although it's very dark colours, purples, black etc but this was ok. The room looked ok when I went in, nothing over the top or too special but upon closer inspection (I was alone on business a little bored) I found the room to be dirty, tired and a real let down. Again a lot of black paint which is fine but the problem with this is if the surface is not kept clean it shows up every mark everywhere, and this room was not clean. Dust was everywhere so much so it actually looked like a rubbish paint job but from the photos you can see it was thick dust and dirt. This theme continued with dirty curtains, stains on the walls, stains on the net curtains etc so much so I actually had to check the bed sheets just in case. Luckily no issues there. The bed was rock hard, I'm not fussy, I go camping but it was unreal, so much so I actually used the second duvet to soften the bed. As others have mentioned there was no aircon, luckily the room was not very hot, just warm but you could feel it and I would have put a blast of air on should it been available. None of these issues are something you should have to think about in a supposedly 4* chain of hotels. The shower was however very good, big pan head lots of water etc but the door did not fit the gap so water just flowed onto the floor! In general this room needed a good clean, especially a dusting,a fresh paint job and new furniture that was not chipped. It was simply not even close to good enough, especially when I have stayed in hotels down the road which are cheaper. I will not be returning and will inform my business to get it removed from the hotel list to pick from when travelling to Belfast. The photos attached do not lie! Maybe other rooms are better but this was not what I was expecting for around £120 for 1 night.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
11 Thank Darren23
Bangor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Thank-you Malmaison for a great experience and a special birthday. From the moment we walked into the front entrance we were very impressed with the modern, boutique decor and style of the hotel. We were greeted with a warm welcome by Kris, who was more than helpful and went above and beyond to ensure that we had an enjoyable and peaceful stay.

The room was unbelievable, one of the best suites in Belfast. Modern facilities, large lounge area, comfortable bed and best of all a full sized pool table situated in the lounge area!!! Unbelievable. A few moment from arriving a knock on the door, a complementary glass of champagne with a happy birthday slate. Lovely small touch and much appreciated. Thank-you.

Thank-you to the entire restaurant staff, beautiful meal, food was outstanding and very comfortable relaxing restaurant environment.

I would like to personally thank Kris the head reception manager from making our stay extra special, was a brilliant birthday treat. We will most definitely be making a return.

Many thanks

Andy

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank amcnabb11
Banbridge, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

This hotel was such a disappointment.. The hotel was dark and dingy and dirty.
The sheets on my bed had several beige& brown stains. I only discovered this in the morning because the room was so dark and badly lit at night. I still feel sick when I think that I slept in such a dirty bed.
We requested an ice bucket and glasses when we checked in but had to ring reception when it never arrived to make our request again.
The service in this hotel is atrocious, my friends and I sat at the bar for over 20minutes before we were served. There were 4 staff behind the bar but they all ignored us and one who we got eye contact with, said he wasn't serving but continued to polish glasses. When a batman did take our order, he proceeded to serve another man first and then got our order wrong. This hotel was also also very noisy, both road noise and thin walls.

Room Tip: I would advised that you avoid this hotel..it is way over priced..worst hotel I have ever experience...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends