“Cracking good value”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Ate here last night for my tea before a meeting.

The menus look very appetising and on the face of it provide excellent value for money. I opted for the early bird menu and had the winter vegetable salad and the pulled pork croquette with a anise sauce and vegetables. The salad delivered on flavour, but not on concept, there was a truffle element to it which was so slight it was overawed by the excellent pickled winter vegetables. They had been mildly pickled giving firmness but delivering on flavour. The parsnips, maybe because they were a softer vegetable took on more of the pickling juice and were out of balance with the rest. But a dish with lots of potential.

The main of the pulled pork croquette was more pork than croquette, but who cares it was bloody gorgeous. The anise sauce was a perfect accompaniment to the pork and with the pureed carrot provided a culinary delight. Kudos to the chef for this creation. Maybe not one of the best dishes I have had this year, but it comes close. The dessert of nougatine and pear parfait with a buttermilk sorbet had potential but didn't deliver. The nougatine dominated the parfait, which came across as a semi freddo rather than a parfait. The buttermilk sorbet, just a little too watery and crystaline.

Where this restaurant doesn't deliver is in it's wine list. It erred towards the commercial and price conscious, with very few quality choices. Decor, comfortable yes, stylish yes, I heard it described as industrial chic, I think that is a good description. Service was attentive, but as it started to get busier a little rushed. I will be back, infact will be going again next week with a friend and look forward to a better experience, which I am sure it will be.

Malt R, Public Relations Manager at Malt Room, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

We are very sorry to hear that different variables were not up to scratch, I am sure that your next visit will be better and we look forward to seeing you dine with us again this week.

There are newer reviews for Malt Room

Reviewed 20 March 2014

We ate here a couple of years ago when it was under different management. We thought it was good then but it had nothing on its current incarnation.

We decided what we wanted for dinner in advance, having looked at the menu online and so were delighted to find everything we wanted on the deal which gave us three courses and a bottle of wine for £55.

The service was absolutely fantastic - friendly, charming and helpful. And the food ... there are no words to describe how amazing our dinner was. The head chef was at the pass and he inspected every single plate served, tasting the occasional one - hugely impressive.

Our only criticism of Malt Room is that it's so far away and we can't eat there regularly. What a find.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your visit to the Malt Room and that everything was more than you expected. We really do hope to see you dine with us again soon. Thanks.

Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

We stubbled on the Malt Room today on Great Victoria Road just across from the Europa hotel. Lunch is 2 courses for only £12 and the food experience has been absolutely amazing! The building itself is breathtaking and the staff have been so friendly and warm. Really a must go for either dinner or lunch when in Belfast!

Truly fine dining in a cozy and friendly environment!

Malt R, Public Relations Manager at Malt Room, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Thank you for your lovely comments. We are extremely happy that you enjoyed dining with us for lunch and that everything met your expectations and we look forward to seeing you dine with us again soon.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

what a dining experience we had at Malt Room ... Defaintly the best meal I have ever had in my life. The service and food could not be faulted in any way. The food garnishes and presentaion spectacular and the flavours outstandingly wonderful. taste sentations. Well Done Malt Room I will be back...

1  Thank Lesley D
Malt R, Public Relations Manager at Malt Room, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Thank you for your kind comments. We are very glad you had an excellent experience whilst dining with us and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Stayed at a local hotel and saw an advert for this place. It was very cosy and welcoming. Not busy at all. The pork was excellent. We were served by eve I think. Very friendly and like my wife can talk. She could not do enough for us. Would revisit.

I am very glad you enjoyed your evening with us and that Eve was such help. We look forward to seeing you again soon.