“Cracking joint”

John Henry
Ranked #630 of 1,058 Restaurants in Belfast
Price range: US$7 - US$20
Dining options: Takeout
Description: John Henry set out from his home in Richhill, Armagh in 1889 seeking adventure and discovery in America. Travelling from town to frontier town finding work where he could, he discovered the brave flavour traditions of the wild west and the joy of outdoor living and cooking. He collected these skills and recorded in his journal, recipes and methods for everything from wood firing meat to making fresh lemonade. In 1896 he returned, bringing this knowledge home with him and passing it down through the generations. Today, we use the same original Spice Mixes and Blends in our Pulled Pork, Bourbon Beef, Mixed Meats and our extra special Veggi Chilli. Why not come down and sample some wood-fired slow cooked pork ribs, or crispy-roast chicken, served with our secret family sauces and a range of Super Food sides?
Ontario, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Cracking joint”
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

Sitting down to my full rack of ribs early on a Tuesday afternoon with a bottle of beer, I felt like Kevin Spacey in House of Cards. Really nice ribs. I only go for the ribs in JH's so I can't give an opinion on the other dishes.

Also the service is great, except there is one guy I cannot understand a word he says, but it doesn't really matter because I know what I want and he means well.

Perhaps the price is a bit steep but nothing out of place for Botanic Avenue and certainly alot better than the Cathedral quarter.

Advice? Go for it. Boojum and Maggie Mays have lost their way, JH's has freshened the whole place up.

“Jack of all trades, master of none”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Tries to be Bubbacue & Boojum but doesn't quite achieve either.

Arrived at 5.30pm on a Friday and it was dead. Thought it would be worth a try as boojum was queued out the door.

Tried the Texas wrap... A small scoop of meat and rice with cheese. My jaw hit the floor! A third of the portion you get from Boojum or Chalcos. I almost felt like stopping her mid-wrap and just cancelling it.

Such a nice interior, with so much potential. But they got the portion size and limited fillings for the wrap SO wrong. I couldn't recommend the trip... You'd only be disappointed. Quality was fine. But I won't be back.

The fact it was dead was the red flag. I give them 6 months

• Visited March 2014
4 Thank Pelios
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Scrumptious”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I popped into john henrys while in the botanic area ,i was greeted by a very friendly waitress called hayley who helped me choose what I may like from the menu me and my partner had the mixed meat wrap and a side of out choice,this with a drink was £6 which I found really really good value for what we got. The restraunte was quite quiet but I dont think enough people know about it to be honest,most people think john henrys is a hair salon=( but take it from me it is definatly worth a try,will defo be back to try there ribs,they looked devine

• Visited March 2014
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
“Not bbq, not smoked but not bad”
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Called into this page for some lunch on Friday. The food is quite good. Not really what I expected but the pulled pork sandwich was fairly tasty if maybe a little fatty. It was served on a Belfast bap, that wasn't a Belfast bap but was actually nicer.

The mac and cheese is very good. Contrary to what a previous reviewer said, it is proper maccaroni (large elbow macs) with a nice amount of cheesiness. The camp fire hot sauce is very tasty.

It's the cooking method that I wouldn't be sure of. You would expect more of a smoked flavour to the meat but it isn't there. It just tastes like good roast pork so I think the wood fired oven is a bit of a gimmick.

For smoked / American bbq there is better (big Als) and for a pork sandwich there is also better (meat in a bap) but there is also quite a lot worse or there so Henry's is worth a punt.

belfast
“Something Different”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Went on a Saturday afternoon and was not overly enthused by the fact that the place was completely empty. However, I and a group of friends thought we would try it out as we had heard positive reviews. Food was very well received by each member of the group and the portions were generous.
The staff were friendly and helpful in explaining each item on the menu. My own meal in particular was tasty and healthy. Unsure if it will stand against the local competition but I would definitely return.

• Visited January 2014