“Don't miss out on Saphyre”
Review of Saphyre

Saphyre
Ranked #64 of 1,096 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: Irish, Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 20 June 2014

This is my second visit to Saphyre , this restaurant is just fantastic, the whole experience is wonderful, customer service is first class and the food is top notch you will have to try it and you will not be disappointed,

1  Thank flex43

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Birthday meal. First time visitors. Decor fantastic, pushed boat out on tasting menu, it delivered!

Belfast has lost a few of its fine dining places over years, this is a great addition. We opted for the summer tasting menu and it was an excellent choice. Highlights, the lobster was close to best I've had in a restaurant, I grew up being able to get it fresh, off west coast of scotland... Great select of other courses, and they catered for partner not keen on foie gras. Loved the choice of wines, red, white & champagnes to go with courses. Attention to details great and some simple details can be key, at end, partner had americano coffee, it came with jug of warm frothed milk, meanwhile the Nikka whiskey was perfect end.

2  Thank ProfBowman
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Just "simply" fantastic. Dined here with my wife and daughter on fathers day. The breakfast was just perfect. The service was just impeccable. The decor is different and the toilets were very clean. Would highly recommend!!

1  Thank belfastim
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Staying a few nights in Belfast after getting married we ate here on a Saturday evening, so it was quite important. The restaurant is at the rear of an old church, and while squeezed into a relatively small spot, it manages not to feel claustraphobic. There's a good use of space and a pleasant, albeit tiny outside area for drinks or coffee.

We opted for the tasting menu, each course really was quite good. From the gazpacho with crab, a parfait encased in a peach skin, grilled and tartare of mackerel, lobster cannelloni, lamb, a clever goats cheese and two separate desserts, one strawberry one chocolate, the food was spot on. Of particular note was the quality of vegetables used...I'd go back for the vegetarian menu, and that's a rare admission. Only aspect I didn't enjoy as much was the sauce with the lobster dish. Whilst the lobster and mousse were great, the sauce had the taste and scent of burnt shells. Other than that, it's hard to find fault.

The decor if you like that type of thing is impressive. Not quite my cup of tea as it suggests unnecessary formality...but don't let that put you off. Service is very proficient yet relaxed, and is trying very hard, yet maintains friendliness and chat...and even a bit of craic!

Prices are fair for the level the food is at, and the wine list is actually very good value, as is the rest of the drinks list.

It's a good spot and deserves to do well. A definite return spot!

2  Thank McFoieGras
Reviewed 5 June 2014

My wife and I recently visited Saphyre with a large group of our closest friends to treat ourselves to a first class fine dining tasting menu with wines, and I have to say we loved every minute of our 4.5 hours there, it was everything we expected from such a night out, and more...

When we arrived we were bowled over by the decor of the place... no expense spared, no detail has been missed... even the bathrooms were stunning! Our table was pride of place in the centre of the room, but close enough to the oudoor area to allow us to enjoy the great weather outside.

We started with a couple of rounds of the signature cocktails, which I would highly recommend.. I had the 'Ruby' which was a unique bourbon based cocktail with a potent kick!

The opening dish was a fois gras delight that was as appealling to the eye as it was to the palette... a technically superb dish that was admired by those around our table before it was eagerly devoured. This set the tone for the rest of the evening... every dish was technically superb in terms of its design, flavour combinations and skill level. The anticipation of what was coming next helped to build the atmosphere of our experience.

Next course was an 'Ulster Fry' like you've never had before... cleverly deconstructed, with the potato bread espuma, a kind of whipped mousse/foam, being one of the highlights of the night for me... it was delicious, and clever, but not taking itself too seriously. Note to the chef... you need to work some sausage in there to be 'proper' Ulster!

A cold scallop dish was next, citrus based with blood orange... cleansing on the palette and the perfect contrast to the previous egg based offering

For the fish course, the John Dory listed on the menu had, much to our delight, been substituted for Turbot... a result as this is my favourite fish, and it was cooked to perfection. Served with pak choi , asparagus puree and artichoke heart, it was a delightfully balanced dish that screamed freshness

The evenings meat course was duck, again to my delight as its another favourite of mine. Served beautifully pink with what i think was a concentrated satsuma gel.. i enjoyed it so much I had two!

The highlight of the whole night for me was the dessert.... chocolate in many different forms and textures. It was absolutely sublime! Im not always a massive fan of chocolate based pudding but the Saphyre interpretation of it was to die for, very decadent and again, the design was visually very appealling.

The cheese boards that arrived to the conclude the meal were almost fought over at our side of the table.... a fine selection with some beautiful softer offerings that were really enjoyable.. I know nothing about cheeses , but they were very knowledgeably described by our young waiter for the evening. IIf there was anything that could be improved though, we could have done with a few more biscuits to go with the cheese.

The wine... again i know nothing about wine... but there wasnt wine on the list that I didnt enjoy. I loved the whole experience of trying my way through a selection of different offerings from sweet almost dessert wines and smooth reds , to a fizzy rose offering. One minor criticism.. I was surprised that the waiter didnt leave the remainder of the bottle each time they went round the table sharing it out... there was eight of us, and i dont think it would be asking too much, especially given the cost of our experience.. I mean, what you you do with the leftovers of a bottle of something fizzy?

The service also added to the experience of the evening.. I expected it to be a lot more formal but he Maitre D, our young waiter from the North West, our waitress, and the South African bar man... they were all great craic, welcoming and very knowledgeable about the cuisine and the drinks, and that makes all the difference on a night out, and they didnt disappoint.

Overall, it was one of the finest meals I've had in this country - the food, the drink, service and surroundings were all to a level that I hoped they would be, and I'd love to do it all again. ... I'd highly recommend Saphyre for an experience meal with friends or a partner!