“Excellent Fine Dining Restaurant” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Saphyre

Saphyre
Ranked #50 of 1,041 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: British, Irish, Contemporary
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Excellent Fine Dining Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

We had been intending to visit Saphyre for some time and i wish we had visited sooner. The setting at the back of a converted church is stunning - you can tell the owner is from a design background. It was a summer evening and i was really pleased to see the new summer a la carte menu which is heavy on fish.
Great cocktail list from which we had their signature Saphyre cocktail - recommended.
For starters my wife had the Crab with Gazpacho Avocado and Pepper. I had their signature Ulster Fry starter with a healthy slice of truffle on top - an interesting take on the classic but very much a fine dining interpretation. In truth i cant recall what our 2 dining companions had but it looked good. I am quite annoyed i only manged to take 1 photo during the meal so you will have to use your imaginations.
The highlight of the whole event for me was the Lobster Cannelloni. A healthy piece of lobster tail twinned with a very large fresh cannelloni stuffed with a superb but light lobster mousse. Amazing. My wife had an equally good Fillet of Turbot and i actually recall our companions both had the Rose Veal ( its not all fish) which they loved.
We don't normally do desserts but we had our arms twisted and we shared 4 different dishes between us - the 3 i can remember were the Strawberry Cheesecake with fab basil ice cream, Raspberry Rose Bakewell , a Chocolate one and a 4th i cant recall either. Yes it was a fairly boozy night. All 4 were really fantastic - very unusual in that deconstructed sort of style with great flavours.
In summary an excellent fine dining addition to Belfast's restaurants with stunning food and a pleasing ambiance.

3 Thank Mark_Robinson1964

Ireland
“Style over substance”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

Beautiful looking restaurant, gorgeous decor but trying a little too hard to be 'Michelin' style in terms of food and price.
Maître d' a little rude I thought- bit too arrogant, felt like he was doing us a favour by being there, got friendlier towards tip time which was already added to the bill. Other staff were warm and welcoming though.
Food was beautifully presented and portion sizes small (as expected), but trying too hard..Finger bowl for a solitary shelled prawn was OTT in surf/turf main. Lots of foliage and flowers to eat too.
Bill wasn't correct when it came- which just shouldn't happen at this level of restaurant when staff nearly outnumber customers.
Glad I've been to see what the fuss is about but won't be back. Prefer merchant hotel or Shu for this type of dining.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank cdz
“Lunch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Staff courteous and attentive,decor lovely. Portions small, presentation impressive. Had to ask for vegetarian menu.

1 Thank Kitty M
Belfast
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing the best in Belfast ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Second visit last night, first one was so amazing with my husband, beautiful ambiance, amazing food michelin star standard to say the least, I was hopeful that the next visit would be of the same standard when I went with my friend (who is a food/wine snob) and I was amazed yet again!!! The food was totally exceptional we went for the tasting menu as myself and my husband had and the maitre d Sam (who's service is fantastic) offered an alternative tasting menu, as it had only been 5 days since my last visit and wow it was beyond my expectations yet again, the eye to detail was amazing and the taste was wow every bite was a delight. Highly recommend this restaurant for exceptional fine dining, having dined in many Michelin star restaurants to compare to, saphyre is of a much higher standard overall.

1 Thank Debbiecat30
Belfast, United Kingdom
“So unexpected !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

I was taken here for Saturday morning coffee and was so hooked I booked supper for my husband and our middle and his wife this week ...
it was a delight, lovely surroundings and very very tasty food
Please please go
Saphyre is a treasure .. even if you cannot afford the "shop/boutique"
It might be the "wrong" end of the Lisburn Road this is a "to go" !!

2 Thank usat4