“Take care not to get fleeced with your Fruit & Veg”

St. George's Market
Book In Advance
More Info
US$17.53*
and up
City Sightseeing Belfast Hop-On Hop-Off Tour with 48-Hour Pass
Ranked #8 of 233 things to do in Belfast
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We have been here many times, and had a great experience both eating and purchasing fresh produce such as fish and meat.

However, recently we had an experience that left a sour taste so want to warn others. The fruit and veg is not all priced on the biggest stall in the centre of the market. So you grab your produce and had your wicker basket to the stall holder. Then he shufflers things around and tells you the price. On this occasion, all was well, a small basket of bits and bobs, and a tenner in my hand - previous experience told me this would be about a £5.

So, he turns and says £11.90 please - my jaw dropped!! I didnt have enough cash so left to grab some from the ATM - he insisted he took my purchases with me....

So while I was getting the cash, we looked through our purchases and couldn't understand where the £11.90 came from. So I went back with my money in hand and asked him to check... Instead of owning up to a counting error, the stall holder told me that "of course it's that price, because the small pack of herbs and the pack of chillies were £3 each!! Jaw dropped again - that's more than 5 times more expensive than Tesco!! He asked "do I still want them", I laughed and said no - gave him the £5.90 I owed him and won't be back!!

Just take care folks!! It's a great place!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,153)

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Anybody that's in Belfast on a weekend and have time before going home must go to St George's Market at the bottom end of Belfast,going to a market will never be the same again.Its lively full of character and live music,Food cakes fish and local meats ,blends of all kinds of tea as well as bric-a-brac,its wellworth a couple of hours of anybodies time.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Good market with a ton of food options and some unique souvenir options. Perfect for a Sunday morning breakfast and browse.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

I'd gladly go to St. George's market every weekend, the massive array of food stalls from around the world and the live folk music make this a great place to be.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Great place to go for breakfast, enjoy some music and a nosey around stalls of fresh fish, chutneys, veg, sweet treats and crafts!

Very busy, but well worth a visit!!