“Poor service and room didn't exist!!”

Paddy's Palace Belfast
Chester, United Kingdom
“Poor service and room didn't exist!!”
Reviewed 20 April 2013

I arrived on a plane from Manchester ladened with a heavy bag at 10pm and I was a lone female. When I arrived, the receptionist did not orientate me well and did not show me to the room. He gave me a key, pointed to vicinity of the room. I went looking for the room - up and down the stairs several times... The room could not be found. I had to pass past some lads having a party and they were quite intimidating and told me the room did not exist. I went back down to receptionist, but he had gone. It was now 10.30pm. I called for him and he did not attend. In the end, I had no room and no receptionist to find me a new room. I had no choice but to check out and find a new hotel. I traipsed the streets of Belfast and knocked on the doors of hotels - a lone female walking the streets of Belfast at 11pm.....not ideal and not safe !! To add insult to I injury, they kept my deposit and haven't answered my calls to return it!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Razzaline

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 5 April 2013

Overall, it was okay. The location wasn't the best, but we weren't that far from everything either. The 4 bed room was a decent size and we had our own basin - which leaked all night. The beds were comfortable enough, but I wish there were more power points around.

We only had a couple of showers and toilets to share with a lot of people. It would've been nice to have mirrors in the actual rooms so that people didn't have to use the limited bathrooms to get ready. The shower was freezing cold so we could barely use it.

The hostel didn't have much of an atmosphere, but I didn't spend much time there. It was fine for the night but having more bathrooms (and showers that have hot water!) could really improve things.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Belfast hotels

Reviewed 16 March 2013

The room was a bit cold and small, and the beds weren't great... The bathroom were nice. The staff was ok. The living room was very warm. The location is quite good. The breakfast was just as in every other hostel. The hostel was pretty quiet.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 March 2013

Hostel in itself was reasonable, but on checking in part of the paddywagon tour we were issued 2 keys for 6people in a room of basically single people and told to stick together if going out and deal with it.. This is not great service when checking in anywhere in the world. Room tiny for 6 people.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank TommynReens
Hythe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2013

On our Paddywagon Tour of Ireland, we stayed here while in Belfast. Luckily we were in the renovated part of the hostel. Like most hostels I shared a dorm, with 5 others. The room was clean and we had a small heater, coat hooks and a basin.
The bathrooms had just been renovated and were nice and clean. Although a bath mat woudl've been nice.
The common room was smallish but nice. About 5 chairs in the kitchen/eating area, could do with a lot more.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Paddy W, Manager at Paddy's Palace Belfast, responded to this review, 5 March 2013
Hello, Thank you for your positive review, we are glad you liked the renovated part of the hostel and enjoyed your stay! We will take on board your comments about the bath mats and chairs. We hope to have a new kitchen and dining area come summer. We hope to see you in Belfast again.
Thank you.
Varazdin, Varazdinska, Croatia
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We stayed in Paddy's Palace for 2 nights in 6 dorm room. The hostel was little hard to find because they didn't had any sign that says that hostel is there. Also we got a room that was close to kitchen and the window that was facing the kitchen would not close because it was broken and it was open a whole night long. The room didn't look very clean. Windows were very dirty and moldy.
Staff was OK. Hostel is a walking distance from the center. They were renovating common room so i hope they gonna renovate the room also.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Verilala
Paddy W, Manager at Paddy's Palace Belfast, responded to this review, 27 February 2013
Hello, Thank you for your review and feedback. You will be glad to know we have almost finished renovating. We now have new bathrooms, floors and the rooms are finished just the kitchen to go. Hopefully you can come and stay again and see the changes. Thank you.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 11 February 2013

I stayed at this hostel many years ago and i can undertand why some of the previous reviewers had a negative experience. It certainly had room for significant improvement but it seems like management have taken this feedback on board as when i stayed last weekend the interior had vastly improved! The hostel seems to have been freshly painted and the bathrooms are new and spotlessly clean. The old ones were shocking!! One big negative for me with this hostel is the kitchen area, it really lets it down. Very damp and grotty. It wasnt a big deal for me as i was eating out but it could be a deal breaker for budget conscious travellers. Overall, a reliable centrally located budget option

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends