2,926 results
All reviews art deco cocktail bar great room hot tub afternoon tea cloth ear victorian room berts jazz bar ulster bank rooftop jacuzzi special occasion turn down service pure luxury beautiful hotel huge bathroom truffle star hotel
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Stayed at the merchant last night with my girlfriend and it was totally perfect. The art deco room was wonderful and you would be nit picking to find something wrong with our whole stay. We just wished it was longer. Highly enjoyable!

Date of stay: April 2012
3  Thank CobraKai82
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I splashed out and stayed in a suite over Christmas 2011. The hotel is lovely and easily holds it own on the world stage of top class hotels.

The food is good, the cocktail bar is super awesome and the staff were outstanding. I love the location. The room was also incredible extremely sumptuous. In fact it was a heavenly piece of luxury in Belfast.

The reason I have marked it so low is because they have a nightclub in the hotel. If you stay on a Friday or Saturday night then there is a non stop, low frequency "boom boom" all through the night which stops you getting to sleep. I went out into the hallway and could hear it all over the floor.

I asked the lady in the help desk about this and she said the night lub was I the bank vault to try and eliminate noise.

I guess from Sunday until Wednesday I would rate truly five star. It's harsh to rate as terrible but I just thought the basic principle behind a hotel was to get somewhere to sleep. It just failed in this one area despite surpassing expectations in every other area.

If you are a deep sleeper though then this probably won't be a problem for you and I'd rate it as 5 star again. A real shame whilst I love the hotel I probably wouldn't stay there again.

Room tip: I would avoid the suites, other rooms may be quieter on a weekend.
Date of stay: December 2011
7  Thank PaulR259
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I booked this as a treat for my parents retirement as I knew it was the sort of thing they wouldnt really book for them selves.
What atreat!!
Mum said the surroundings are so oppulant and ornate but the atmosphere is calm and relaxed.The choice of cakes and sandwiches were to die for and when they couldnt eat them all,their waiter boxed everything up for them to enjoy later!!
The icing on the cake though(excuse the pun!!!)was a little extra cake which had written (in icing)"Happy Retirement".

Date of stay: March 2012
3  Thank SOPHIEDOFEY
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Stayed at the Merchant on the Thursday before Easter 2012. Was delighted when we checked in to get a room upgrade! We were warned that thae room at there "might be a bit of noise." Beautiful suite-huge room, great bed all seemed good. Went for dinner and came back early-2 young children at home so an early night rather than a club was what we fancied.
The room was noisy when we got back but got asleep. At 1.30 the noise from outside was unreal. Looked ot the window and there were over 100 students drinking and roaring. This went on for almost 2 hours. In the room the noise was so loud that you would have said there was no glass in the windows.
The hotel was quite understanding the next morning. I'm not sure if the students were drinking in the Cloth Ear (bar of the hotel) or a nearby pub or if this is a one off or a regular occurence. The Merchant is owned by a guy who owns 40 pubs in Northern Ireland. This is his main business. I reckon his priority is to have his pubs overflowing with people of any age regardless of whether there are people above paying hundreds of pounds to get a good nights sleep.
My advice having stayed in other hotels in Belfast is look at the Malmaison, not quite as exquisite but a good alternative and less expensive. If you do stay in the Merchant make sure you don't stay in the front of the old building above or near the Cloth Ear.

Room tip: Stay in the Art Deco rooms. We stayed in a Victorian that look gorgeous. We were in The Heaney Suite-extremely noisy
Date of stay: April 2012
1  Thank liamglasnevin
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Excellent staff and location in Belfast, away from clubs but close enough if you want that. Had a superb reception here and since had many family gatherings. Slightly more expensive than other places, but you pay for what you get. Highly recommend.

Room tip: Parking a little difficult so ask hotel in advance for advice. Very helpful.
Date of stay: November 2011