“Great hotel, one minor issue”
Review of Merchant Hotel

Merchant Hotel
Ranked #2 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Stayed in one of the Suites here back in May. The Suite was absolutely fantastic. My wife is from Belfast so we had previously been in for drinks and some food, so we knew how nice the hotel would be. The Suite was huge and finished to a great standard. We also used the Hotel's Rolls Royce to pick us up. The price was exceptional for this, and the driver so patient and a charming chap.

The only issue I had is a small one and sounds like a trivial thing but took the shine off of the stay on check out. Our bill upon checkout was around £500, which sounds a lot but we did have some drinks and champagne at the bar. So actually think it was good value.

However was disappointed that they had charged me £10 to use a phone charger for a few hours. Whilst this seems trivial and is only a matter of two percent of the bill, it did leave me slightly annoyed. The staff had been so welcoming and helpful, it was a shame that just as I was leaving the hotel I suddenly got a stark reminder that the prime reason I was there was to generate revenue for the hotel. Whilst I know this and expect this, it was a shame that it was highlighted by this small action and after a stay when we had been made to feel so welcome.

To clarify a great hotel and will still visit on special occasions and for food and drinks in the meantime, probably a pedantic comment but it just took the shine off of it a bit.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Richard A

Reviewed 17 October 2013

Great spot for a romantic evening. The food was good, the music was nice. It has a clubby and warm feel to it, my partner and I enjoyed ourselves tremendously. The singer was Michael Buble-ish, live music is the icing on the cake.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Laurie H
Reviewed 15 October 2013

My husband and I stayed at this beautiful hotel in Belfast during a recent trip. The room was beautiful, staff attentive and helpful. We would definitely stay here again, should we come to Belfast. It is in a great location for going out to pubs. The food in the hotel, along with the restaurant service was excellent.

2  Thank Jannygirl2013
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Please forgive the tardiness of this review, as its nearly a year since we stayed there, but I have just been talking to someone who stayed at the Merchant recently and they reminded me of how terrific a place it is to stay. Four of us travelled up to get a nights rest away from the teenagers and to do a little bit of shopping in my home town. For all if us it was our first stay at this lovely hotel. We stayed in the deluxe Art Deco rooms, and I think it's safe to say that we could have held a ball in the rooms they were so spacious! The beds were extremely comfortable, and as for the bathroom....well lets just say that I would love to have brought it home with me!! Only one problem....my bed was closest to the window and there was quite a breeze blowing through it...in fact I had to don a cardigan to keep my shoulders warm. Staff were lovely at check in, but apart from that we had no contact with them. We ate in the bar which was nice but not exceptional. Perfectly placed for shopping with the Victoria centre and city centre a few minutes walk it is somewhere I will return to

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank operamum
Reviewed 13 October 2013

This was my first time in Belfast and I could not be more pleased with The Merchant Hotel! The rooms were plush and amazingly comfortable & the location is ideal! The staff was completely accommodating and most helpful. Meals in the hotel restaurant were truly gourmet, and the décor was a delight for those of us who love old world charm with a ceiling that reminded me of the great castles on the continent!
I recommend this hotel highly, and will definitely stay there during my next visit to Belfast!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank maresy54
Reviewed 9 October 2013

On an anniversary visit to Belfast we decided to stay at the Merchant once again, this time we stayed on the "Art Deco" side of the hotel. Very comfortable room with excellent bathroom TV and all the mod cons needed for a stay in the city. The modern approach may not be to everyone's liking but would definitely appeal to the younger traveller and those with a liking for art deco of course. The staff were as usual fantastic and the accommodation very clean. We also ate in the restaurant and it was beautiful and very reasonable, full marks, strongly recommended.

Room Tip: Well worth going for the deluxe room, the bathroom alone would sleep 4 people!
2  Thank harry140
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We live in Belfast and have been to the Merchant several times This was our first overnight stay .
It was very enjoyable ,the room was really very beautiful and the service excellent especially the receptionist who greeted us very warmly but all the staff were very friendly as well .Our daughter and son in law also had their wedding reception there and it was a very memorable day So a big thank you to all the staff there for making the The Merchant a very special hotel .

Room Tip: Art Deco rooms are amazing but there are also Victorian style rooms as well .
1  Thank Rene K