“love this place”

Ranked #2 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Belfast, United Kingdom
“love this place”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Food is great and service is fantastic. My suggestion..... visit the cocktail bar after your meal and watch the guys mix your drinks, at the price of a cocktail you may aswell enjoy the whole experience and the price is well worth it.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank colin m

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
glasgow
Reviewed 22 October 2013

This hotel is in the beautiful building which was a bank. It has been superbly converted. Our room was gorgeous, wonderful bathroom and toiletries. The bed was turned down each night, water and chocolates beside bed! Heaven. The staff were unfailingly helpful. Food was wonderful. Breakfast excellent.

Room Tip: Ask to be in old building
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank susanwalsh
Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

Afternoon Tea at the Merchant is a delight; from the attentive service to the opulent décor to the food itself. Nothing was too much to ask and the hotel catered very well for one of our group who has gluten & dairy allergies. All beautifully presented. A must-do part of any trip to Belfast! We also spent a few extremely pleasant hours in Bert's Bar at the Merchant - best cocktails in Belfast! Again, superb service in a relaxed and luxurious setting.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Peeksm
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2013

This hotel is the most beautiful hotel I have stayed in. Complete luxury! We stayed in a junior suit and couldn't have been happier that we did.

The room was big and finished to a wonderful standard. I felt completely relaxed in it. We opted to have breakfast in our room and when it was delivered they laid a table for us to eat at, complete with china tableware. Breakfast was scrummy!

Check in/check out was trouble free and the staff were very friendly. Unfortunately we only stayed one night so were unable to use any of the facilities but already have plans to return next year.

The hotel is right in the centre of the bustling Cathedral Quarter so if you plan to stay here you will be right in the middle of the best nightlife and lovely eateries.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Sheffield
Reviewed 19 October 2013

A group of friends met in Belfast, and this hotel was chosen. Great choice, and very central for all the shops and restaurants. The choice of rooms are Victorian or Deco. We had the latter, and it was gorgeous (Rm 531). here were two large double beds, plenty of room, and a delightful bathroom with a huge tub plus a walk in shower. Suffering a broken leg at the time I found the shower so easy to manoeuvre safely. The staff were really pleasant and helpful; credit goes to all of them. Breakfast gives you a choice from the menu, and all of them were delicious (between us we tried everything). Porridge, salmon with scrambled eggs, eggs Benedict, full Irish - all first class. The service was extremely prompt, and the staff got nothing wrong - despite complex orders...!! My friend and I had booked treatments in the spa, and I would recommend you book ahead because it gets booked. The spa is truly amazing, one of the best and most relaxing I have ever visited. My back, neck and shoulder massage was first class. I could have stayed in the spa forever. There is a hydro spa, but because of the leg I couldn't use it. It sounds silly, but a return visit to Belfast would be worth it for the spa. We ate both night in the hotel and, whilst nice, the food wasn't as higher quality as every other aspect of the hotel. Perhaps needs a little 'polish', such as the petit-four, the just looked a jumble on the plate. The evening meal stops me awarding full marks, which is was in every other aspect.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank hurrahholiday
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Stayed in one of the Suites here back in May. The Suite was absolutely fantastic. My wife is from Belfast so we had previously been in for drinks and some food, so we knew how nice the hotel would be. The Suite was huge and finished to a great standard. We also used the Hotel's Rolls Royce to pick us up. The price was exceptional for this, and the driver so patient and a charming chap.

The only issue I had is a small one and sounds like a trivial thing but took the shine off of the stay on check out. Our bill upon checkout was around £500, which sounds a lot but we did have some drinks and champagne at the bar. So actually think it was good value.

However was disappointed that they had charged me £10 to use a phone charger for a few hours. Whilst this seems trivial and is only a matter of two percent of the bill, it did leave me slightly annoyed. The staff had been so welcoming and helpful, it was a shame that just as I was leaving the hotel I suddenly got a stark reminder that the prime reason I was there was to generate revenue for the hotel. Whilst I know this and expect this, it was a shame that it was highlighted by this small action and after a stay when we had been made to feel so welcome.

To clarify a great hotel and will still visit on special occasions and for food and drinks in the meantime, probably a pedantic comment but it just took the shine off of it a bit.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Richard A
Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Reviewed 17 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Great spot for a romantic evening. The food was good, the music was nice. It has a clubby and warm feel to it, my partner and I enjoyed ourselves tremendously. The singer was Michael Buble-ish, live music is the icing on the cake.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple