“Lovely stay”
Review of Merchant Hotel

Merchant Hotel
Ranked #2 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Very much enjoyed our recent stay at The Merchant; lovely room, interesting bathroom(!) good breakfasts. Central location ideal for sightseeing, only a 10 minute walk to the excellent Titanic display. Only letdown being the staff who did not have the local knowledge a top hotel should provide- we were told we needed a taxi to the bus station to catch the airport bus that actually stopped outside the hotel!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Merchant Hotel

Reviewed 1 November 2013

The merchant is the destination for afternoon tea with lovely scones, great desserts and a fantastic setting.
lsi it has a great cocktail bar right beside where u have afternoon tea that u can pop into after

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank rach17cats
Reviewed 31 October 2013

The hotel is Elegant, classic yet informal, we had our evening meal in The Great Room restaurant and it was fantastic, one of us had the tasting menu which was expensive but worth every penny, we will be back.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We went to this hotel for our 1st Wedding anniversary, a surprise for myself. Freindly staff on arrival and check in. We stayed in the Larkin Suite, beautiful room very spacious. The spa facilities are very good, once again very friendly.

We had afternoon tea booked in the Great Hall which was a lovely treat, fantastic service once again. For our evening meal we went to Berts Bar, lovely food good service Jazz music was really good but a bit loud! We coudn't hear each other across the table but still very good service.

We will go again, yes expensive but you get what you pay for!!!

Room Tip: The suites are a must!
Reviewed 29 October 2013

In Belfast first time via work and booked this hotel, not sure what to expect. However when I told staff where their response really raised my expectation...upon arrival I was not disappointed, very welcoming receptionist, stunningly beautiful room on 5th floor in an immaculate Art Deco style. Everything you need in a room and all finished to the 5 star standard
I had planned to do some work from my room however I was unaware and not told that the gym was above my room...from back of 5 onwards constant pounding was heard above. So retreated. For refreshment.
The cocktail bar is very opulent with attentive staff, a very relaxing atmosphere. You actually have three bars to choose from however was advised to come here. Could see in to the main dinning room which was in truly stunning soundings...unfortunately the menu didn't take my fancy so I chose to eat at the bar. Do not let the 'bar menu' fool you it was presented than excellent standard and the ribeye steak was fantastic.
Unfortunately my fear in the morning of being woken up by the gymnasium goers above me thudding away on the treadmills didn't give me the best sleep as I kept weakening up...which is a shame as the bed was sumptuous! Alas although the opening hours state 7am for the gym people were in earlier my only critique!

I would love to return with my wife and if so would recommend not to stay on the 5th floor

Room Tip: Not room 529 if you're light sleeper...although could not fault the room in anyway way
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank flymo73
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Excellent hotel by any standard. We stayed in the older part where the sloping floors added to the character. Super comfortable bed, spacious well appointed room. Had gourmet breakfast in the beautiful main hall. Easy walk to the centre & Titanic Qtr. Well worth it.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

A birthday treat for me from my good lady brought us to The Merchant in Belfast. In true Irish fashion, the front door was round the side but navigation issues apart we never looked back. From the welcoming front of house staff, to the sumptuous surroundings, this hotel merits everyone of one of its five stars. After checking in to our mini suite, a Victorian room at the top of the hotel, we made our way down to sample the famous cocktails. A tasteful period decorated room created a fabulous ambience, enhanced by the fab staff. Or was that just the great cocktails? Either way a very enjoyable couple of hours were spent wiling away an afternoon. I was born just a couple of miles down the road but I could never have imagined the feeling of being in a different world. On returning to our room we found a birthday balloon, a card and some beautiful hand made chocolates courtesy of the hotel. Dinner was taken in Bert's restaurant, in the new extension. What a charming setting; perfect decor and mood lighting finished off with a fab jazz singer and pianist. The highlight, (other than the food and wine!), was a birthday dedication. The next day commenced in style with a fabulous breakfast in our room. And then sadly, as quickly as it started it was over and we were hauled back to the real world by the usual parental responsibilities. The Merchant is not cheap but in this case, you really do get your money's worth. This was my first visit but it certainly won't be my last!

Room Tip: You have a choice between an Art Deco room and a Victorian theme. Go for the Victorian.
1  Thank arthurpatrick