“Perfect Sunday!”

Ranked #2 of 43 Hotels in Belfast
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Perfect Sunday!”
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Visited the Spa at The Merchant for the first time today and it will definitely not be my last visit. My experience was fabulous from start to finish. I felt welcomed and relaxed from the moment i walked down the spiral stairs. My treatments were the most relaxing I have ever had, which lead ro me almost falling asleep in the relaxation room after. Everywhere is immaculate and I love the dark decor lit mainly by candles. I was not a guest at the hotel, just a spa user. Prices are not much more than your 'common, typical' beauty salons and the glamour and class exceeds all others. Cannot wait for my next visit! Julie D, you are amazing!

• Stayed November 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I have stayed here a few times and I am amazed at how it has changed. Sloppy service, rude staff and simply quite dirty. The decor has become tired and dated.

A major turn off is that nightclub has opened in the basement which attracts a rowdy drunken rabble. Vomit and broken glass everywhere the following morning. Also very loud.

There is a serious sewage problem in this area of Belfast. The area, and occasionally our room, stank. I will not be back.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
9 Thank Londoner78698
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

Very much enjoyed our recent stay at The Merchant; lovely room, interesting bathroom(!) good breakfasts. Central location ideal for sightseeing, only a 10 minute walk to the excellent Titanic display. Only letdown being the staff who did not have the local knowledge a top hotel should provide- we were told we needed a taxi to the bus station to catch the airport bus that actually stopped outside the hotel!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

The merchant is the destination for afternoon tea with lovely scones, great desserts and a fantastic setting.
lsi it has a great cocktail bar right beside where u have afternoon tea that u can pop into after

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank rach17cats
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 31 October 2013

The hotel is Elegant, classic yet informal, we had our evening meal in The Great Room restaurant and it was fantastic, one of us had the tasting menu which was expensive but worth every penny, we will be back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Bangor. Northern Ireland
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We went to this hotel for our 1st Wedding anniversary, a surprise for myself. Freindly staff on arrival and check in. We stayed in the Larkin Suite, beautiful room very spacious. The spa facilities are very good, once again very friendly.

We had afternoon tea booked in the Great Hall which was a lovely treat, fantastic service once again. For our evening meal we went to Berts Bar, lovely food good service Jazz music was really good but a bit loud! We coudn't hear each other across the table but still very good service.

We will go again, yes expensive but you get what you pay for!!!

Room Tip: The suites are a must!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Glasgow
Reviewed 29 October 2013

In Belfast first time via work and booked this hotel, not sure what to expect. However when I told staff where their response really raised my expectation...upon arrival I was not disappointed, very welcoming receptionist, stunningly beautiful room on 5th floor in an immaculate Art Deco style. Everything you need in a room and all finished to the 5 star standard
I had planned to do some work from my room however I was unaware and not told that the gym was above my room...from back of 5 onwards constant pounding was heard above. So retreated. For refreshment.
The cocktail bar is very opulent with attentive staff, a very relaxing atmosphere. You actually have three bars to choose from however was advised to come here. Could see in to the main dinning room which was in truly stunning soundings...unfortunately the menu didn't take my fancy so I chose to eat at the bar. Do not let the 'bar menu' fool you it was presented than excellent standard and the ribeye steak was fantastic.
Unfortunately my fear in the morning of being woken up by the gymnasium goers above me thudding away on the treadmills didn't give me the best sleep as I kept weakening up...which is a shame as the bed was sumptuous! Alas although the opening hours state 7am for the gym people were in earlier my only critique!

I would love to return with my wife and if so would recommend not to stay on the 5th floor

Room Tip: Not room 529 if you're light sleeper...although could not fault the room in anyway way
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business