“Class and Comfort”

Ranked #2 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Los Angeles, California
“Class and Comfort”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

The Merchant is not to be missed. It’s by far the nicest hotel in Belfast - well-appointed, classy rooms, with a very attentive, friendly staff. The restaurant is typically French with smaller portions at dinner, but the dining room is luxurious (what a beautiful chandelier!) and the food delicious. The bar was always busy and full of new and old friends. The breakfasts were simply wonderful. The roof-top Jacuzzi and work-out facility is a lovely plus. Try to stay in the original wing. The Hotel Europa is very sleek and moderne in comparison and sits on a very busy street. The Merchant is quiet and comfortable and has wonderful old-world grandeur. You won’t be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Cloud9west

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Hi, I recently spent two nights in The Merchant with my teenage son. We were given room 208, a lovely end room which was really big and had a gorgeous luxurious bathroom. Slept soundly, no outside street noise. The hotel seemed reasonably busy the next morning and breakfast was scrumptious although teenage son would have liked bigger portions so on the second morning we asked for more and were given more. I had my first foray to the gym, it is somewhat small and compact but adequate with a great view of the rooftops of Belfast. The hot-tub was lovely and we had it to ourselves, the next time I will go to it in the evening and see the lights of Belfast at night, as recommended by the very helpful Scottish gym instructor. On the second morning i wanted to use the tub only to find out it was being serviced and was told I could go to the Spa and use theirs but didn't have enough time unfortunately. All in all a luxurious stay, the only fault I might have is the darkness of the hotel in general. The Cloth Ear is a very reasonable place to eat, good food and convenient to the hotel and they will get you a reservation if you ask at reception. I didn't get to the spa, it is a good excuse to go to the Merchant again!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank raffoIreland
Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

A very pleasant experience. The surrounding were very welcoming and the staff very pleasant. They made you feel as if that were appreciative that you chose their hotel spend your money. Would definitely book again next time we are in Belfast.

1 Thank WayneAlen
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Myself and my husband had a long overdue night away on our own, and we chose the Merchant. It was perfect, all that we wished for to make it a special break. First it was an easy drive up from Dublin. Directions were easy to follow and the welcome we got was professional, warm and helpful. We stayed in one of the deco rooms and it was gorgeous. The attention to detail in the decor is magnificent and the room didn't want for anything. The bed was one of the most comfortable ones ever. We had a pre-dinner drink in the Cocktail Lounge and I could have quite happily stayed there all night. Great atmosphere, great theatre and great cocktails. Almost felt like I was in New York! Dinner was in Berts Lounge with live music. Superb meal but my only quibble is the loudness of the music which drowned out any conversation between us. Breakfast the next morning was in the magnificent Great Room. We even managed to get some shopping in which was only a 2 minute walk away. Little touches were lovely such as bookmarks beside the bed and a little packet of sweets in the car the next day. A lot of hoteliers could do well to visit the Merchant and learn from it. It well deserves its 5 stars and the devil is definitely in the detail. Whoever is running it is doing a superb job and it is obvious in every aspect of the hotel. Would we go again? In a heartbeat. Was it special? Definitely. Was it worth it? Absolutely. I can't wait to escape there again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Winny273
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

Visited the Spa at The Merchant for the first time today and it will definitely not be my last visit. My experience was fabulous from start to finish. I felt welcomed and relaxed from the moment i walked down the spiral stairs. My treatments were the most relaxing I have ever had, which lead ro me almost falling asleep in the relaxation room after. Everywhere is immaculate and I love the dark decor lit mainly by candles. I was not a guest at the hotel, just a spa user. Prices are not much more than your 'common, typical' beauty salons and the glamour and class exceeds all others. Cannot wait for my next visit! Julie D, you are amazing!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

The Merchant is a lovely hotel, but has an air of faded grandeur. It is a fantastic building, the main rooms well-decorated and the staff were lovely. But, our room though mostly lovely, had a bathroom blind that looked velcroed to the top, and was coming away at the edges. Also, the attention to detail was not 5-star, the candles in the jazz bar were not replaced when they burned down, and one of the lights at breakfast wasn't working on be morning. But, the location was great and the staff were delightful. We'd go back, the breakfasts were amazing!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple