“High Spa Standards”

Merchant Hotel
Ranked #2 of 43 Hotels in Belfast
“High Spa Standards”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I received a voucher for The Spa at The Merchant Hotel and used it towards a hot lava shell full body massage. I had never been to a Spa before and wasn't sure what to expect however, from the minute I arrived I was made to feel welcome and at ease. An immaculately groomed girl named Julie brought me down to the changing rooms and took time to explain everything to me, answering all my questions and making me feel like a relaxed lady of leisure. I used the hydropool prior to my treatment and this was a real treat. The lighting, music and warmth of the pool let me totally relax and give in to the spa experience. My treatment was carried out by another girl named Julie. I explained that I had never had a massage before and she made me feel so comfortable. She was extremely professional and excellent at the lava shell massage.

The Spa is dark but lit by candles and plush furniture and candelabras are dotted about the place. Relaxing piano music is played throughout and i noticed there was also an area where you could dine. The changing facilities were well maintained with ghds and hair dryers provided and secure lockers. I would definitely recommend the Merchant Spa to friends and I will definitely return. It is not over priced, it is value for money and it is an experience!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank ClaritaTalks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Enjoyed expensive break in September. Would prefer less formal dining but otherwise great facilities in unique surroundings. Art Deco room was lovely. Enjoyed Spa including rooftop hot tub next to the Albert Clock! Dinner in Jazz bar and breakfast in great hall were both good.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Esther M
Enniskillen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed here about three weeks ago and can honestly say one of the nicest hotels ive ever stayed in!check in was friendly and efficent - room was beautiful real cosy and comfy
we had lunch in the cloth ear and after dinner in a nearby restaurant that night - we had drinks in the cocktail bar - nice atmosphere
breakfast following morning lovely especially the setting
Will be making a return trip for sure!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank tmgilly85
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Just returned from an over night stay with my wife in the Merchant hotel.It is a yearly treat for us to escape from the kids and a chance to soak up the fabulous Belfast atmosphere with the added bonus of getting some christmas shopping done. It was our first time staying in the Merchant we have stayed in numerous hotels in befast before.Nice hotel fabulous location and interior design, reception staff extremely helpful on arrival. However we stayed in room 320 and were hugely disappointed to be woken in the early hours of the morning with the noise of the extractor fan below our window. It was on continually for the remainder of the morning and we found it impossible to get back to sleep very frustrating and not what we expected from a five star hotel. Spoke to the duty manager on check out who offered an upgrade of room on our next visit to the hotel and said she would speak to maintenance regarding same.Not of any benefit to us on what was meant to be a recharging break and I would find it hard to believe that previous cutomers have not complained regarding same issue.So overall nice hotel has equally great location in comparision to ten square hotel very classy but for the price of an overnight stay would have expected absolute comfort which unfortunately due to the noise issue we didn't receive this. Would definetly avoid room 320 as I can't see the noisey fan problem being resolved easily however would consider returning again.
Tom.

Room Tip: Avoid room 320 due to continual noise from extractor fan outside window.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lynette m
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I hired the roof garden for my wifes 40th last night. Every aspect of our experience was sensational. Genuinely cannot find one thing to criticise. If I could give this venue 6/5 I would!!! Oh and the breakfast in the room this morning was the best I have had in any hotel I have stayed in to date. Outstanding!

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank Algar4irish
Warrenpoint
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed on Friday past an it was excellent! I am only sorry I stayed on business .. Arrived late and left early am.. Which is a shame. We stayed in the Art Deco room.. Which was huge, beautiful, comfortable, full of luxuries... Breakfast is very formal, but it was good, not excellent but good. Next time I stay I will make sure I have more time to enjoy!
Excellent location, close to lots of great hotels, restaurants and bars! As a result this can mean that it is noisy at weekends..
Overall..delighted !

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Dianewarrenpoint
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 16 November 2013

The Merchant is not to be missed. It’s by far the nicest hotel in Belfast - well-appointed, classy rooms, with a very attentive, friendly staff. The restaurant is typically French with smaller portions at dinner, but the dining room is luxurious (what a beautiful chandelier!) and the food delicious. The bar was always busy and full of new and old friends. The breakfasts were simply wonderful. The roof-top Jacuzzi and work-out facility is a lovely plus. Try to stay in the original wing. The Hotel Europa is very sleek and moderne in comparison and sits on a very busy street. The Merchant is quiet and comfortable and has wonderful old-world grandeur. You won’t be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family