“Festive afternoon Tea”

Ranked #3 of 43 Hotels in Belfast
BELFAST
“Festive afternoon Tea”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

I have been to the Merchant for afternoon tea last year, and had a quite good experience.
Yesterday we had booked the festive tea - waste of money, and not at all festive. Live music for about 15 mins, then just canned music. Service was dreadful, first of all they forgot the milk, then they gave us a pot of water, instead of tea, and we had to ask for another pot. There were no festive decorations, which you would expect in an expensive hotel, just a tree in the corner. We had a few finger sandwiches, when they asked did we want any more, we got another four very small sandwiches, but had to pay extra for them. The service was terrible, no festive cheer, and I would not advise anyone to waste their money going there. It was dull and cheerless. The Chinese restaurant was more festive. Will never be going back.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
9 Thank BelfastHuggy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

This was our second time at the Merchant and it was just as good as our last stay. We opted for an Art Deco room this time having stayed in a Victorian room on our previous visit. The room was large and fitted out to a very high standard. The bathroom was huge with a walk in shower as well as a large free standing cast iron bath. All finished to a high standard and spotlessly clean despite the huge amount of glass and mirrors. Reception staff are extremely helpful and friendly. They noticed it was my wife's birthday and wished her well. We had afternoon tea in the Great Room and contrary to a previous reviewers comments it was very very good. The staff asked if I wanted more sandwiches and brought some. The cakes were excellent and not "mass produced". The staff then surprised us with an individual birthday cake for my wife. During our stay we had meals in the Great Room, Bert's Jazz Bar and the Cocktail Bar. All were very good indeed. I have stayed in hotels costing far more than the Merchant and have usually found some aspect that let them down slightly, more often than not the staff. I can honestly say that the Merchant is one of the very best hotels that you are likely to stay in anywhere. A beautiful old building tastefully renovated, pleasant and attentive staff, very good food. It's not a cheap hotel, but it represents tremendous value for money.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Andy S
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

Clean.spavious.fantastic irush coffee.nibbles. lovely staff.quiet.comgortable seating .non obtrudive people.unaffeted by poverty.good taste and cheap drink
Toilets immaculat e
Wosley exclusiveness outside seating area lovely in afyernoon in sun.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank darrierob
N Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

Went for afternoon tea - and it was 'nice' thats about all I could say. We arrived and were shown to our table and given the afternoon tea menu. When the waitress came back for our order one of the group ordered a green tea, and the other the Merchant Blend tea. As a black tea drinker I asked which tea she would recommend and she said oh the Merchant Blend (ok - so much for helpful advice!) then she asked if we had any other queries so we asked if it was possible to have salad sandwiches instead of the smoked salmon - the answer - -a blunt NO! We wondered why we had been asked!! 4 small sandwiches arrived on 3 plates - very ordinary and nothing outstanding. The cake stands arrived - stainless steel :( ! The pastries were very uninspired and very obviously bought in and mass produced - a cake stand of Mr Kiplings would have been more enjoyable. All in all a very average experience that I won't be repeating

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank SunfunNIreland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

We are fortunate enough to stay in some of the best hotels in the world and The Merchant has blown us away with the value for money it offers and exceptional staff. I don't recall being in a hotel ever before where the level of service from the front of house reception to the bell boys has been so consistent and exemplary. Well done Merchant Hotel! In addition the food is not only excellent but also very good value for money, we will be back.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank HawkesPoint
lisburn
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

We were in a group and one person paid with their card. It was only when we were looking at bill afterwards that we realised that they were good at adding bottles of wine to a group bill instead of glasses!!!!! Sadly this was only spotted when we had left. Expected better from them. Will warn others about practice.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank sarahjmccann
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

I received a voucher for The Spa at The Merchant Hotel and used it towards a hot lava shell full body massage. I had never been to a Spa before and wasn't sure what to expect however, from the minute I arrived I was made to feel welcome and at ease. An immaculately groomed girl named Julie brought me down to the changing rooms and took time to explain everything to me, answering all my questions and making me feel like a relaxed lady of leisure. I used the hydropool prior to my treatment and this was a real treat. The lighting, music and warmth of the pool let me totally relax and give in to the spa experience. My treatment was carried out by another girl named Julie. I explained that I had never had a massage before and she made me feel so comfortable. She was extremely professional and excellent at the lava shell massage.

The Spa is dark but lit by candles and plush furniture and candelabras are dotted about the place. Relaxing piano music is played throughout and i noticed there was also an area where you could dine. The changing facilities were well maintained with ghds and hair dryers provided and secure lockers. I would definitely recommend the Merchant Spa to friends and I will definitely return. It is not over priced, it is value for money and it is an experience!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo