“A stunning few days.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 43 Hotels in Belfast
Manchester, United Kingdom
“A stunning few days.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

We stayed at The Merchant for three nights earlier this month for our son's wedding. The whole experience was fabulous. The room was spacious, extremely comfortable and spotlessly clean.
The staff were, without exception, delightful and nothing was too much trouble. The food in Berts was fantastic. Breakfast was a pleasure and the wedding meal was magnificent. To serve 150 people with delicious food at the same time is a challenge, but they rose to the occasion.
I cannot fault any part of our three night stay.

Room Tip: Friend in a victorian room said it was a little dark. We were in the deco rooms and they were fine
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Northern Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

We stayed here for 1 night on Sat 14th December – thank goodness it was only 1 night! We choose to stay in a Victorian room, thinking it would be the more authentic experience. The art deco rooms have a very modern feel.

Right from the off this experience was strange. We walked up the main steps of the old bank to be told we couldn’t come in that way – we would have to go off to find reception (in the wind and rain). Luckily it was just around the corner, down a horrible side street. Having never been in the hotel before I was gob smacked when we walked into the dark and very small reception area, which seemed to have a lot of people traffic coming and going through. Check-in was quick and friendly but I couldn’t believe how tight on space everywhere was – even the lifts were tiny. The corridors were small and windy and the whole place feels haphazard and mis-matched and oh so DARK!

The size of our room was fine and the room was nice but that is about my limit. The room was very well worn around the edges and cleaning was not perfect (for example when I was lying in bed I could see the top of the large mirror in the room was was thick with dust).

I didn’t like the bathroom and there was terrible black mould all along the top of our bath which was pretty horrible to look at. I didn’t like the toiletries either – especially with the art deco lady all over them – not quite in keeping with a Victorian room surely??

The tea tray was pretty good with both caffeinated and decaffeinated options but no hot chocolate!

We had a terrible night of sleep here. If you are coming at the weekend I suppose you have to accept that the hotel is placed in the heart of the busy Cathedral Quarter and you are going to experience a certain level of noise. Our room was opposite the Spaniard bar so we got lots of street nose – not to mention the noise when people were coming back to their hotel rooms. There is no sound proofing whatsoever within the hotel and everything is so close together and squashed. The door might as well have been made of paper.

The general vibe of the hotel didn’t suit me at all and I found the staff to be mediocre (apart from at breakfast where they were very pleasant). Breakfast was probably the best part of the stay – served in the Great Room it really was a nice setting. The coffee was delicious as was the cooked breakfast. However, their butter was unsalted and our brown toast was burnt while our white toast was barely toasted at all.

There are much better places in Belfast at a fraction of the price of this place and where five star hotels are concerned this place isn’t a patch on the Culloden, which has lots of space, open fires and fresh flowers in the Foyer.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TAmember13
Belfast
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

I was one of a large party dining in the Merchant on Saturday evening. The menu had been circulated well in advance of the dinner and had been triple with the venue before our diligent organiser distributed to the employees and stated that we make our selection on the night. On arrival we discovered that the selection process had been greatly simplified. There was no vegetarian main option displayed, no choice of starters or desserts. We are quite certain we would not have agreed to this venue if this information had been forthcoming in advance. I occasionally visit the Merchant for cocktails or afternoon and have been to both Ollie's and Cloth Ear many times so this was wholly unexpected as service is usually good. The main course when served was accompanied by two plates of vegetables and potatoes for a table of 9. Needless to say half of the table had a carbohydrate free meal! As previously mentioned this was unexpected and very disappointing for such a wonderful venue.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank travelgirly24
Belfast, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

Had our Christmas party night on Saturday 14th December in the Rita Duffy suite and it was very disappointing. Our meal was due to be served at 7.30pm we got our starter at 9pm and they left one of our party out and we had to ask for her food. Soup was ok but others that had the goats cheese said it was not very nice as was cold. I had steak for my main meal and this was under cooked you did not get an option as to how you wanted it cooked. It was extremely fatty and not very warm. It looked like the cheapest cut of beef they could get. Best thing about the meal was the baby boiled potatoes. We also had wine at the table that was all served at room temperature.

Did not have dessert as it was now around 10.15pm. The staff really did not know what they were doing they were all young kids and most have probably never worked in catering. They had no leadership and I felt sorry for them as they took the grief of the customers.

I believe the main hotel restaurant has an excellent reputation but I would not recommend the Merchant for a party. With a hotel of this status it should have been much better.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Karenschoice
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

Well what can I say? We treated ourselves to dinner at the Merchant in the Great Room for Christmas. The staff, from the doorman, the booking staff and the waiting staff were as faultless as always, making us feel important and welcomed. I went for the annisette of quail as starter, the quail itself was delicious if a little overcooked, the pasta was (again, I have had this before) on the rubbery side. My dear wife had the parfait, in her words it was "alright" however the spiced chutney was the star. Since it was Christmas we both went for the turkey wellington, the turkey was a bit dry, the parmaham was almost non-existent, the pastry was soft and flabby (do I sense the presence of a microwave???) the mashed potatoes, the carrot and parsnip mash and the stuffing were ok but a bit of seasoning would have helped the blandness, the sprouts, carrots and cauliflower were on the crunchy side of endente, not a great meal (forgive any spelling mistakes, I am old) Not a great meal. We then both had the Christmas pudding cinnamon ice cream and creme anglais. The ice cream was lovely, the pudding, as most Christmas puddings are, was a bit sickly after the second bite, the worst was the creme anglais, it was so thin as to be like a thin soup. I know I have hammered the food a bit, however I must also point out that I think this is one of those places that one goes to be pampered. It is not just the food. It is the over whelming opulence of the place, the total attentiveness of the staff, I feel that the food unfortunately does not live up to the rest. However for sheer style, there is no place like the Merchant, I would advise that when selecting from the menu, that you pick items that have to be cooked to order, the steak is superb.

3 Thank Gerald E
Northern Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

Just had a couple of nights at the Merchant hotel. We stayed there last December and again, it was a truly wonderful experience. From the moment you enter to the moment you leave, the staff, service, quality and facilities are second to none and excellent value for money.

The location is perfect for walking to the Oddessey, the Titanic experience and all the city centre attractions, including the Xmas Market at the City Hall.

The in-house bars and restaurants are also of a very high standard but at the same time they are relaxed. It was nice to have a real log fire and good old fashioned service and attention. We will definitely be going back!

Room Tip: Couldn't comment on the fitness center and pool as we didn't use either, but I'm sure th...
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed recently in one of the hotels modern rooms. High spec. room with views over High Street. Very spacious with two TV's, dressing room and large bathroom. Staff very friendly and efficient. Had a couple of drinks in the bar off the main dining area which was relaxing but a bit expensive. Breakfast in the Great Room (I think it's called that) was very nice re food and surroundings. Would highly recommend. We parked nearby, but you can get valet parking for £20 or thereabouts from the Hotel.

Stayed December 2013