“Gorgeous understated luxury”

Ranked #2 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Dublin, Ireland
“Gorgeous understated luxury”
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Belfast is my home town and to date I've stated in most of the hotels. On fact I stay in hotels across Europe for business so I know what I appreciate I a good hotel.
The Merchant is a totally different experience and is on another level. Opulence comfort service nostalgia are all words I would use. Expensive but if on offer do not hesitate to book. Otherwise it's the best hotel treat stateside. Colleagues used the spa and were full of praise. I was at a conference and the staff were exemplary. Overall 5 star and well placed to explore the best of Belfast city.

Room Tip: There are new American style rooms in the new part of the hotel and opulent Edwardian rooms so make...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank sharonmcauley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Coleraine, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Called directly with hotel and spoke to Louise in reservations. What a professional! She couldn't have been more helpful, informative,..asked me about what I required on things I didn't even think about, and I consider myself to be relatively well travelled. Requested room for 3 sisters...1 being picked up at airport coming from USA who knows nothing of booking as it's her birthday...she thinx she's goin straight home!! Louise was brilliant. Birthday tray will be n our room, Louise also advised on best type of room for us, she talked me thru website pics on type of room we'd booked so I could see what we were getting...looks pretty plush btw!
So far, so brill! Really looking forward to my sis' surprise! Will fill Tripadvisor in when stay completed!
Thanx Merchant Hotel for an easy, well informed booking with an excellent member of ur staff!
At this point I prefer to ignore the negative reviews...speak as you find eh?
RD

Room Tip: Unsure at this stage...read above
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Armagh County
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I read with interest comments about the Hotel -- wonderful décor -- amazing ceilings -- the walls -- the entrance etc etc.
Its supposed to be a 5 star hotel so why would all those things NOT be part of whats happening there ?
However we (5) of us went for afternoon tea just before Christmas I found it very disappointing -- the booking seemed to have been lost however after a few minutes we had a table (squeezed into a corner) but we had a table.
Service is about same as any 3star hotel you have someone come take your order go away then return with crockery milk various teas etc etc
When they are taking your order they write it down (or appear to) then some of it arrives out from kitchen WRONG
Once it has all arrived correctly and you start eating you almost have to stand up on a chair and yell to attract the attention of a waiter or waitress if you want anything else -- then they disappear back into the kitchen to reappear once again several minutes later with another portion of the sandwiches that you asked for MY selection was for egg and cress I wondered why it was 2 slices of bread cut into triangles (4) but only 3 triangles arrived what happened to number 4 ?
A great hotel is NOT the building or the interior of the building its the opinion that customers leave with in my opinion Merchant Hotel is way overpriced the service is about second grade and it would not encourage me to go back -- in saying that I have been there a few times and I rate it same every time I go -- defiantly not a 5 star Hotel its a 3+ at best

Room Tip: I was not staying so have no idea about a room I was there as part of a present for my niece who was...
newtownards,n.ireland
Reviewed 1 January 2014

i have been here quite a few times and stopped going due to the poor service,the usual you should be grateful we are serving you attitude especially from their mostly east european staff and when i was their previously tyrannical female south african supervisor/prison warden type.
however the service we received from an east european waiter was first class and very attentive,
and the coffee was great,i have been there before for afternoon tea but thought it was way overpriced.however it is a good place for morning coffee and snacks.

Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

My sister and I stayed in the Merchant Hotel for the Christmas party night of the 21st December 2013 and were very happy with the room, leisure facilities and general ambiance of the hotel and its staff but very disappointed with the quality of food and service at the evening event. The main course of the turkey on offer was not at all good. The Brussels sprouts were like hard balls,the green beans were squeaky and without taste, the boiled potatoes were very hard and there was no roast potatoes or gravy. The coffee and tea were offered before we had even received our desert!! It was all delivered late and the staff looked like they had been brought in hired help for the evening. Some staff just stood chatting to some guests mist if the evening and to add to it all the DJ did not play any slow music all evening and people were allowed to bring either bottles or glasses onto the dance floor. So all in all a very disappointing night at this hotel.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2014

This hotel is one of the best i've stayed in. From start to finish the staff were friendly welcoming and polite. Would defiantly recommend the Valet parking service as the streets around the hotel are busy and would have made trying to part to check in and out difficult. The Art Deco room was spacious the bed amazingly comfortable and the shower doubled up as a steam room.
The stand out feature of this hotel has got to be the outside hot tub on the 6th floor overlooking Belfast's sky line. if your looking to impress or just have a romantic get away this is a great hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Carrickfergus, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Another enjoyable experience at the Merchant. I take my son to the Merchant each year to celebrate his birthday and once again, we have had a fine dining experience. The food was wonderfully cooked and presented. The dedicated waiter service was excellent, he was so pleasant, helpful and professional - thank you Michael. And the hotel staff were very friendly and efficient. Again, many thanks to all at the Merchant for giving my son and I a wonderful day. We will be back next year for his 30th.

May you have a very prosperous and Happy New Year.

Mrs Calderwood