“Five star experience”

Ranked #2 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Five star experience”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Note: Reception for check in is round the side near the Spaniard bar, not up the main steps

Visited just before Christmas and greatly enjoyed it.

We stayed in one of the contemporary rooms. It was massive (with two double beds) and a huge bathroom.

Outdoor hot tub on the roof is a great experience and the sauna has good views over Belfast.

We also had Christmas dinner, which was very nice as was breakfast the next morning. Cocktails, as always, were excellent (but expensive). Sadly I have to report that service in the cocktail bar was slow and it was not that busy but otherwise I couldn't fault my stay.

There is also a private lounge for residents with a pool table that I didn't know about. Quite fun!

Room Tip: Contemporary rooms seem to get better reviews than the older style.
1 Thank 888Hello888

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 11 January 2014

I don't normally write reviews on these websites but the Merchant is worth it! My husband and I normally take a trip to Dublin every year for Christmas shopping but this year we decided to go to Belfast. So glad we did. We have stayed in quite a lot of 5-star hotels around the world but none compare to the Merchant. From the moment we arrived we were transported to a world of pure luxury and indulgence. Brendan greeted us at the doors and took our bags to reception and introduced us to Chrissie who checked us in. She offered us a warm welcome, a genuine smile and even shook our hands. I have never had the receptionist shake my hand when checking in to a hotel before. Form then I felt immediately at ease, welcomed and at home in the hotel. She explained everything to us from where the breakfast is served to how to access the gym. Brendan then showed us up to our room and carried our bags for us. We stayed in one of the rooms in the art deco side of the hotel and on the way up Brendan mentioned that it was one of the largest hotel rooms in Belfast and wow, he was not kidding! The room was huge and very modern and beautifully decorated with great attention to detail. I just wanted to move in! The bed was unbelievably comfortable, the shower was amazing and the bath was so large, I could have just stayed in it for hours. Brendan also showed us how to work everything in the room and was very helpful and knowledgeable when we asked about the best things to see in Belfast and places to eat.
We went straight up to try out the hot tub on the roof. It was a cold day but once you are in the warm water you forget all about it and can just enjoy the great view over Belfast.
We went back down to go out shopping and this time there was a different receptionist on, whose name I can't remember but she was also very friendly and gave us helpful directions to get to the main shopping areas.
In the evening we had some drinks in the cocktail bar because we had heard about all the awards it had won. It really was very impressive. The book of cocktails is so big it took me 20 minutes just to pick which one to have. Watching the guys make the cocktails was fascinating. We then moved to Bert's the jazz bar for dinner. Although neither of us are particularly in to jazz music we really enjoyed the atmosphere and the vibe in here. Again the staff were faultless. Luke answered all the questions we had about the food and recommended us a brilliant wine. Although I did have another cocktail first and have to say it was just as good as in the cocktail bar!
When we went back to the room we found our slippers laid out for us along with tea and coffee and truffles. Such a nice touch!
After an amazing night's sleep we were able to leave our bags with the concierge while we did a bit more shopping. Chrissie checked us out again and even remembered our name from the day before - really professional! And Brendan brought our car round for us again and loaded our bags in to the back for us. He made polite conversation and wished us a safe journey. We then found there was a little packet of mints left in the car. Another lovely little touch which puts the Merchant miles ahead of everywhere else!
Really can't praise this hotel enough. Immaculately clean, perfect attention to detail, friendly, knowledgeable and professional staff - everything you could want. We will definitely be back again in 2014!

1 Thank Donna H
Ireland
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a Sunday night stay in the Merchant with my partner. We having been meaning to stay there for ages as we visit Belfast frequently. We were not disappointed with our choice, and in fact, everything about our stay was just perfect. We stayed in one of the Art Deco rooms, which was wonderfully decorated with a real sense of attention to detail. Rooms are large, with lots of space to lounge and relax. Bathrooms are fantastic, with huge showers, robes, and freestanding roll top baths. All the staff we met during our stay were really friendly, helpful and most welcoming. When we returned to our room that night after dinner, we had been left slippers, truffles and bottled water which I thought was a nice touch. There were also champagne glasses in the room, which came in handy as we had brought a bottle with us! Breakfast is in the Great Room, and is ordered from an a la carte menu. The freshly squeezed orange juice was delicious, as was everything else. The concierge showed us to our room on arrival and had us laughing all the way to our room - great start to the stay, and set a friendly initial tone. I noticed in other reviews that people had mentioned the noise pollution from both the street and the club - we did hear from initial noise but it died down quite early - most likely due to it being a Sunday. However it wasn't really significant enough to detract from our enjoyment of the night. We will definitely stay here again and I would definitely recommend The Merchant to friends and those looking for somewhere to celebrate that special occasion.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Cookstown, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2014

The hotel itself is beautiful, staff are very friendly and courteous. It was fantastic looking out over Belfast in the pouring rain while sitting in the outdoor hot tub. The room was very nice, bathroom was fantastic (Shower was powerful and water was very hot as soon as I turned the tap).
Breakfast the next morning was delicious, good selection and the staff were more than helpful.

My only issue is that the breakfast ends at 10am. This is very annoying as the Premier Inn across the road runs breakfast until 12pm. If a budget hotel can afford to run breakfast until 12pm I am pretty sure the Merchant can, given what it costs to stay there).

I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you are getting breakfast included in your rate take it as it is well worth it.
1 Thank Chris M
Milton Keynes
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My wife and I spent 3 nights at The Merchant in December and, although it's not the cheapest hotel in Belfast, you get what you pay for. This is probably our fifth stay since it opened but, I'm happy to say it's still perfect.

All the staff are friendly, polite and have "can do" attitudes.

The food and cocktails are also still fantastic.

Room Tip: We always stay in the "old part", as the rooms have a lot of character.
Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

Awful place. We arrived for lunch with a party of five and were asked to take a seat in the bar whilst our table was set (one seat added). 25 minutes later I asked if our table was ready to a receptionist who had clearly forgotten about us and looked at like Zi was mad god asking.
Overpriced. Avoid. Many better restaurants in Belfast.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank NeilByrne
Belfast
Reviewed 6 January 2014

What absolutely wonderful experience, from the moment we pulled up the door to moment we checked out. My wife had planned the whole trip as a surprise for my birthday, starting with brunch in Bert's complete with Bloody Mary, the best I have ever tasted. The food throughout our stay was exceptional, as indeed were the staff who were very attentive and helpful without being intrusive.
We could not recommend this wonderful hotel highly enough wether looking for pub grub or a high class eating experience you will not find better and you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Tell the staff exactly what you want and they will do there best to facilitate you, hotel has two si...