“birthday treat”

Ranked #2 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Limavady, United Kingdom
“birthday treat”
Reviewed 16 January 2014

This was my 3rd time staying at the Merchant Hotel. We got upgraded which was fantastic, the room was beautiful! Both the evening meal and breakfast was wonderful. Overall I could not fault this hotel, the staff are so helpful and it is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at! Can''t wait for my next treat to the Merchant!

Room Tip: Love the Victorian rooms, Brian Friel suite wonderful!
1 Thank jillscot

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
County Antrim, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

Spa, hot-stone massage and roof top hot tub fantastic. Outstanding meal in the Great Room a 9 course taster menu, service by Laszlo and our waiter Markus was exemplary. Possibly the best meal we have ever had. Thank you.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Zoe G
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

Myself and my colleagues came for afternoon tea on 21st December 2013. What an absolute treat! Sandwiches were fabulous, and the sweets were absolutely luxurious! We chose from a wide selection of teas and added champagne (well it was Christmas after all!) Thoroughly recommended and I'll definitely be back!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Princess_Nikki_Lou
Coleraine, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We got a voucher for this so called 5 star establishment for Christmas . We decided to go on Sat 11th January for afternoon tea ! It was such a disappointment !
The staff were more than nice & attention to detail was really really good , but the sandwiches were disgusting we asked for brown bread as neither of us eat white bread . The bread was at best
Maybe best of both that you can buy in Tesco the fillings were definitely not fresh ! It was obvious to us they had been made early morning & then put in the fridge hence the bread was hard &horrible ! The buns were all frozen & most we're covered in horrible dark chocolate ! There was not a freshly baked bun in sight ! Needless to say this was our only visit to the Merchant Hotel & we will definitely never be back in the door of it ever again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
belfast
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed in Art Deco room which was very spacious as was the bathroom.
Nice touch for my birthday I got a card, balloon and chocolates!
Breakfast good, coffee cold and order got mixed up but otherwise ok .
Cocktails a bit steep at £9.95 but didn't stop me ordering 3! Came with nibbles which was nice.
Very nice , pricey but worth a treat.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank yesbutno
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Note: Reception for check in is round the side near the Spaniard bar, not up the main steps

Visited just before Christmas and greatly enjoyed it.

We stayed in one of the contemporary rooms. It was massive (with two double beds) and a huge bathroom.

Outdoor hot tub on the roof is a great experience and the sauna has good views over Belfast.

We also had Christmas dinner, which was very nice as was breakfast the next morning. Cocktails, as always, were excellent (but expensive). Sadly I have to report that service in the cocktail bar was slow and it was not that busy but otherwise I couldn't fault my stay.

There is also a private lounge for residents with a pool table that I didn't know about. Quite fun!

Room Tip: Contemporary rooms seem to get better reviews than the older style.
1 Thank 888Hello888
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 11 January 2014

I don't normally write reviews on these websites but the Merchant is worth it! My husband and I normally take a trip to Dublin every year for Christmas shopping but this year we decided to go to Belfast. So glad we did. We have stayed in quite a lot of 5-star hotels around the world but none compare to the Merchant. From the moment we arrived we were transported to a world of pure luxury and indulgence. Brendan greeted us at the doors and took our bags to reception and introduced us to Chrissie who checked us in. She offered us a warm welcome, a genuine smile and even shook our hands. I have never had the receptionist shake my hand when checking in to a hotel before. Form then I felt immediately at ease, welcomed and at home in the hotel. She explained everything to us from where the breakfast is served to how to access the gym. Brendan then showed us up to our room and carried our bags for us. We stayed in one of the rooms in the art deco side of the hotel and on the way up Brendan mentioned that it was one of the largest hotel rooms in Belfast and wow, he was not kidding! The room was huge and very modern and beautifully decorated with great attention to detail. I just wanted to move in! The bed was unbelievably comfortable, the shower was amazing and the bath was so large, I could have just stayed in it for hours. Brendan also showed us how to work everything in the room and was very helpful and knowledgeable when we asked about the best things to see in Belfast and places to eat.
We went straight up to try out the hot tub on the roof. It was a cold day but once you are in the warm water you forget all about it and can just enjoy the great view over Belfast.
We went back down to go out shopping and this time there was a different receptionist on, whose name I can't remember but she was also very friendly and gave us helpful directions to get to the main shopping areas.
In the evening we had some drinks in the cocktail bar because we had heard about all the awards it had won. It really was very impressive. The book of cocktails is so big it took me 20 minutes just to pick which one to have. Watching the guys make the cocktails was fascinating. We then moved to Bert's the jazz bar for dinner. Although neither of us are particularly in to jazz music we really enjoyed the atmosphere and the vibe in here. Again the staff were faultless. Luke answered all the questions we had about the food and recommended us a brilliant wine. Although I did have another cocktail first and have to say it was just as good as in the cocktail bar!
When we went back to the room we found our slippers laid out for us along with tea and coffee and truffles. Such a nice touch!
After an amazing night's sleep we were able to leave our bags with the concierge while we did a bit more shopping. Chrissie checked us out again and even remembered our name from the day before - really professional! And Brendan brought our car round for us again and loaded our bags in to the back for us. He made polite conversation and wished us a safe journey. We then found there was a little packet of mints left in the car. Another lovely little touch which puts the Merchant miles ahead of everywhere else!
Really can't praise this hotel enough. Immaculately clean, perfect attention to detail, friendly, knowledgeable and professional staff - everything you could want. We will definitely be back again in 2014!

1 Thank Donna H