“Excellent”
Review of Merchant Hotel

Merchant Hotel
Ranked #2 of 47 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed 20 February 2014

My wife and I stayed in the Merchant last night on a bed breakfast and dinner basis and what a great experience we had from the receptionist on arrival who shook our hands then the porter who took us to our art deco room on the 4th floor which was very spacious with a huge bathroom
and a very comfortable bed. We had dinner in the state room which was brilliant the waiter was very helpful in recommending several of the dishes. Breakfast was served at the table and once again brilliant. The management most take credit for training the staff to a very high standard well done the Merchant Hotel we will return

1  Thank Gosnell
Write a ReviewReviews (2,653)

Reviewed 17 February 2014

I recently stayed at The Merchant Hotel on a business trip. I had been told it was the best hotel in Europe but I was sceptical until I arrived. It is definitely the best hotel I've stayed at. From the minute I arrived to my departure the service was friendly and impeccable. I have never quite stayed in a room so large and the bathroom was magnificent. All the staff were very friendly and both the service and food were excellent. The hotel is also in a great location especially if going out in the Cathedral Quarter. I will most definitely be going back - this time on a personal trip and I'm looking forward to going to the Spa this time.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We stayed at the Merchant Hotel for a few days and we all had a super experience. From the welcome on arrival to the best wishes on departure our stay was first class. All the staff that served us were very professional and the surroundings were stunning. We will definately return and stay the next time we visit Belfast. One point, The Merchant Hotel is not the least expensive in Belfast, however it is certainly one of the best.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I took my husband for a night in Belfast.We are regular visitors to the city but this was the first time we had stayed in the Merchant.From the moment we arrived it was a pleasure.The staff were extremely courteous and helpful.The hotel is lavishly decorated and the rooms large and sophisticated.The area around the hotel is buzzing with great pubs and restaurants as well as The Mac theatre.We will be back.

Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

We are just home after a one night stay in the Merchant to celebrate my wife's birthday.
The Pro's are as follows:
Valet service takes the hassle out of parking your car and is well worth the £20 charge. Just pull up at reception and the rest is looked after for you. On checkout, call down to reception and they will have your car waiting for you.
We ate in the Grand Hall and it was a beautiful meal with a beautiful bottle of champagne but I wouldn't consider this silver service. The servers lack knowledge of the courses. On the other hand, service was prompt and they were extremely attentive. The food was very good.
The little touches to mark my wife's birthday were really nice.
Breakfast was good but our server didn't run through the options, for example it wasn't clear that we could ask for porridge, fruit or cereal until we seen other diners get this.
Overall, worth experiencing but I've stayed in better. £500 + for one night including dinner, drinks and a spa treatment was a tad too much.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Wow. From the moment you enter you are treated very well. Even though my husband and I had got to the hotel two hours before check in the lovely receptionist said that this wasn't a problem and found us a room immediately. Being 8 months pregnant this was very welcome!
We had the Art Deco room which was fantastic.
I had the mum to be spa package and I can thoroughly recommend this. Emma was fantastic and I was so relaxed afterwards. Very tempted to take a day off work and get this done again.
We also had a fantastic breakfast in the great room. All the staff were great and can't wait to return.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I took my boyfriend away for a night in Belfast for his birthday and decided to splurge on a hotel I'd usually consider out of my price range and it was completely worth it.

The room was large and beautifully appointed. We were in the Art Deco side of the hotel which I absolutely recommend. The vanity table had light bulbs around it, the odd chairs were surprisingly comfortable, and the walls were decorated with classy black and white pictures of burlesque showgirls. Everything seemed calculated to delight. The bathroom featured a huge free-standing tub as well as a shower with great pressure.

All the little things that are often missing from even high end hotels were there in abundance. The wifi was decent an free, you could put your own food/drinks in the mini fridge and there were plug sockets next to the bedside tables.

The staff could not have helpful and friendly, we particularly liked Peter, our concierge.

Our stay included a huge breakfast in the Great Room, which is absolutely stunning and I recommend getting a meal there for the ambiance alone. We also had cocktails in Bert's which were a little pricey, but delicious.

We cant wait to go back!

Room Tip: 227 has a pretty poor view over Skipper Street but the room itself was so beautiful I didn't min...