“World Class”
Review of Merchant Hotel

Merchant Hotel
Ranked #2 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I had been planning to visit the Merchant for a long time now so when I did finally book in I couldn’t wait to get there. My worry was that I had heard so much about it that there was no way that it could truly live up to its hype. So in the back of my mind I had decided it might be wise to prepare myself for disappointment.

I mean how good could it really be?

How about the location? Surely the amount of bars, restaurants and shopping that they claim is within walking distance would actually require a taxi. C’mon my wife is 35 weeks pregnant she’ll need to hail a cab right? Wrong!! It all the hotels I’ve stayed in Belfast the Merchant literally has it all on its door step. Right in the heart of the cathedral district you have a multitude of dining, drinking, shopping establishments to choose from.

Well, then what about the customer service? Could that be as good as the claim? Well actually it was. From the concierge to the front desk, from the cocktail bar to the restaurants, all the staff was world class. A particular shout out to Nicole from the cocktail bar, friendly, pleasant and helpful.

Surely the room would let me down? No way, when I opened the door I couldn’t help but smile. If you’re anything like me, when you put the room card in the slot and nervously push the room door, you will get all sorts of horror images in your head, such as a chalk outline on the floor, or a mirrored ceiling and sticky brown carpet. When the door to my room in the Merchant was just cracked open widely enough I was able to let of the breath that I was nervously holding. I was in room 230, and what a room it was. This elegant, chic room was so inviting. It was bright and airy, fresh and spotlessly clean. The room had 2 large beds, a very tasteful sleek décor and all the mod cons you could need on your visit. The bathroom was extra-large and hosted a free standing bath and separate shower with the added touch of a marble ledge to sit on to rest your wear legs.

This only really leaves me with the dread of dining. Surely it was terrible? Sadly not, breakfast was very nice served in the opulent surroundings of the great hall. A lovely relaxing experience making you want to stay there until lunch. For dinner we dined in Bert’s Bar, I’ll review this separately as I feel it deserves special mention, needless to say I adored it.

So was I right to prepare for disappointment? Nah, I was being pure ridiculous. The Merchant, with all is pomp, style and grace WILL NOT let you down. Not only is the Merchant the best hotel in Belfast, I’d say it might be up there with the best in Ireland and who knows maybe beyond!! This will go down as one of my favourite trips to the INCREDIBLE BELFAST.

Room Tip: I can only comment on 230, this will be MY room forever so stay away from it ;-)
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Seanie_pc
There are newer reviews for Merchant Hotel

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We visited this hotel on a recommendation of a friend to try the cocktail menu, it was worth ever penny the service the quality of the cocktail beautiful. The cocktail menu itself was an educational read. Well done all at the merchant hotel..

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Bawnnew
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We were greeted by a very friendly & helpful concierge and were quickly checked in by the lovely receptionist.As soon as you step inside you don't need to worry about anything...there are so many staff who are all so helpful & friendly, we were shown to our room WOW it was beautiful, clean,comfortable and had everything and more you could possibly need in a room (I justed loved the dressing area ) the bathroom is massive with all the usual bits & bobs
We had cocktails before dinner in the Great Hall (then a few more cocktails)
I really couldn't complain about anything, we had an 8year old & a 13 year old with us and they were made to feel just as special and important as the adult guests
This is perfect for a special treat or occassion or if you just fancy a night away from home

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We were told the staff at The Merchant are very friendly and this is absolutely true. You will be received with a warm welcome and a very helpful concierge will introduce you to the hotel and show you to your room.

Cocktails at the bar are absolutely fabulous. Ask for Lee - he is a wealth of information for tourists.

Note when booking a room there are two sides to the hotel - the Art Deco and the Victorian. We were "upgraded" from Victorian to Art Deco which was fine by us as the room was big, beautiful and clean. However, friends of ours were determined to only stay in castles or Victorian hotels on our Irish trip so I know faced with the same situation, they would have been disappointed. This is a minor detail but something to be aware of when booking, should the style of the room be important to you.

Also on the topic of rooms, I have read many other Trip Advisor users saying their room was very noisy and located too close to the adjoining bar. I'm sure this was true for them however we were in Room 325 and had no issues with noise whatsoever.

The hotel is a decent location for tourists as it is close to the water and about a 10-15 minute walk to the very impressive Titanic Belfast. In the opposite direction, you are within walking distance of a whole assortment of bars, restaurants, and local shops.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We are three golf buddies on a first time golf/leisure trip to Northern Ireland and Ireland. Stayed in the Victorian style rooms. Although the decor is Victorian, the room amenities are up to date, such as comfortable bedding, modern bathroom, free WiFi.
The entire staff was terrific....friendly, helpful, and truly committed to hospitality.
The bar is comfortable and the bartenders know how to make great cocktails.
The only negative for me is the stuffy vibe in the dining room for breakfast. (Didn't eat dinner there)
The servers are friendly, but the decor and service style is a bit much for breakfast.
But again, I would return to the Merchant without hesitation.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 July 2014

There's not much to say than perfect. Myself and the girlfriend where across from Edinburgh for a weekend in Belfast. We where staying at The Hilton although we had been recommended this place for cocktails by a local we met in the Hugo Boss store lol! We enjoyed great service by a mixologist chap on the Saturday (name escapes me) so much so we can back on Sunday for more and was looked after by a lovely girl named Nicole I think!! It hit the spot with us, upmarket, great environment, quality drinks and service to boot! We will be back to stay next time!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Recently took my mum as a treat and selected it because they offered a gluten free afternoon tea. Overall it was a pleasant experience but did not live up to expectations. I've had afternoon tea in a 5* hotel in London and the Merchant didn't come close.

It is in a beautiful setting, the hotel is a feast for the eyes. There was a string quartet playing creating a lovely atmosphere. We spent a couple of hours having our afternoon tea and it was very relaxing. During our time it was a nice touch to be offered additional sweet treats to try, always welcome!

My food overall was well presented and enjoyable. The salted caramel macaroons were particularly nice. However there was some issues with the gluten free options. While we appreciate this being offered, we expected it to be far superior being in a 5* hotel. The bread was very dense and dry, not as good as genius bread bought in a supermarket. Surely this can't be right? The scones were very gloopy and heavy, not enjoyable at all. The other items were ok but when compared with mine were not as good.

We were seated at an area with two tables as they separate the two afternoon teas so we received two stands for the two of us. Extra space was a good idea although the staff crammed everything on the one table leaving us with no space to eat, or even see each other. We were left trying to move everything about to make ourselves a bit of space to eat, hardly 5 star service. There were other little things that were disappointing. Beautiful Art Deco tea pots but were a bit battered and worn. Crockery also past it's best and one tea strainer for 2 pots of different tea.

If I had booked a 3 star it would have been acceptable but it certainly didn't live up to expectations. That said we did spend a pleasant afternoon however it had the potential to be fabulous....

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family