“Afternoon Tea....just about average.”
Review of Merchant Hotel

Merchant Hotel
Ranked #2 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

With great expectation I arrived for afternoon tea yesterday with my lifelong friend: unfortunately we both came away feeling slightly underwhelmed. The hotel is of course beautiful...the service exceptional...the food pitifully average. My friend and I were offered a table for two, but by the time our food, teapots, champagne etc had been crushed onto the available space, the two of us could barely move..let alone see each other. On request we were immediately moved to a larger table which was much better and we could at least have a face to face conversation. My selection of sandwiches were ok..my vegetarian friend's were far from good and she commented on their blandness. The scones were slightly hard with a tiniest portion of jam and runny double cream that dripped off the sides..not good. The Merchant should take note that clotted cream is definitely a better choice. We were offered macaroons..salted caramel and pistachio..both quite nice. Then a selection of cakes....again tasty but so thinly sliced the portion looked decidedly measly. My selection of patisseries were ok...but the vegetarian selection was poor and lacked any imagination. It really was such a pity and I think given the price The Merchant could do so much better....instead of looking delicate everything looked a bit mean. We'd been to The Ritz a few years back for afternoon tea...no empty spaces on their cake stands and the selection was fabulous. I've done some mystery shopping so this hotel should be so delighted I out socialising and not working! Do listen Merchant hotel...style over substance just doesn't work all the time.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank Karen S

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Just tried the Jazz Bar this visit, as with the rest of The Merchant the decor is fabulous.
Pre service excellent, three cocktails and a Guinness took quite a while, despite the relative emptiness .
A point on the Guinness !!! "" we don't sell pints of Guinness ,only halves ,I can bring the second half when your ready "". A little pretentious , almost all the great hotels of the world would only sell the great Guinness by the pint including renounced 5/6 star
Nibbles are at an extra cost, peanuts,olives,.
This is not the first time at the Merchant as a guest or passing trade I feel it's becoming a little elitist.

Room Tip: Beware of hidden extras
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank qaranc10
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Managed to squeeze in an overnight stay at The Merchant on a recent visit to Belfast. Stayed in the Victorian part of the hotel, great room; comfy bed, massive bath.

Friendly and knowledgable staff at front desk and in gym. Speedy room service for drinks.

Had a great meal in the Great Room followed by incredible cocktails. Don't leave without trying one or more. Fantastic breakfast.

Hot tub on the roof a nice touch too.

Great hotel. Seek it out if you can.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank KatieWakey
Reviewed 28 July 2014

we arrived at the hotel on Saturday 19th, checked in and went for lunch in the cocktail bar, 30 minutes later our food arrived without the full order. I should have guessed it was going to go down hill from there. The room was nice and when we returned from dinner at 11:30 approx and went back to our room, the noise level was so loud we felt we were in the middle of a nightclub. At approx. 2 a.m. that noise stopped but was made up by people who had been at a wedding in the hotel running up and down the corridor making a terrible amount of noise until 3:45a.m. approx. The next morning after about 3 hours of uninterupted sleep we went down to breakfast. The food arrived and we started to eat it only to find a foreign hair in the pancakes. As you can guess this put us off our breakfast (we were still charged for this). On checking out we met with the duty to complain and she said that the Manager would contact us the next day. By the Thursday we had still not heard from the hotel so we made contact with them. We then recieved an e-mail from the office of the General Manager saying sorry and giving us an offer of a refund off our breakfast. Appalling customer service and total contempt for their customers. If you are considering staying in this establishment be warned.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
18  Thank Declan R
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Besides being in the best location to visit Belfast-this is truly a five star hotel that deserves the rating! It is a modern hotel in an old bank building. The rooms are huge & the bathroom is very large too. Nice ammenities in the room too. Friendly staff. We had a typical city view including the leaning clock tower. The main dining room is amazing! It is like an art museum!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I can't imagine staying anywhere else in Belfast. This renovated old bank is in an excellent location near restaurants and shopping. The front doors open to the grand room where there is restaurant seating. The desk for checking into the hotel is actually on the side of the building. The carpets in the hallway are thickly padded and the room was simply beautiful. We had a very comfortable night and wished that we had scheduled more time here. Service at breakfast was superior and the food was excellent. I highly recommend a visit to the old vault where there is a pool table. A great use of space. Truly the best of the best.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank deborah r
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

I have just had the most amazing spa day with my daughter who treated me for my 50th birthday. I can't tell how fantastic this day has been. The treatments and staff were fantastic. I would definitely recommend having the tea ritual at the spa and then go for some cocktails in the bar !!

Stayed: July 2014