“Fabulous....but things are slipping!!”
Review of Merchant Hotel

Merchant Hotel
Ranked #2 of 45 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Decided last minute to book a night trip away for my husband and I as we have stressfull jobs and need a break away. We always try and stay in the Merchant Hotel at least once or twice a year so I checked their availability and it was available. I first of all booked our bedroom with reception for Tuesday 15th of July, booking a Victorian Room. I asked for email conformation which I received, but upon checking it was booked in for Monday 14th July. I rang and they changed it immediately. I then went and booked treatments in the spa for that afternoon which again we were fortunate to get as this was quite last minute. Again asking for email conformation I got the conformation for Monday the 14th in the email. I rang back again and they re-sent the email for the correct date.
Upon arrival at the hotel everything was fantastic at check in and we went to our room which was fabulous as always.
We then went for a few cocktails as our treatments were until 5pm that evening. Cocktails were unreal and the staff there were so nice and attentive.

When we went for our treatments in the spa, I was having a back, neck and scalp massage and my partner was having a facial and we were both using the Hdyro area beforehand. Both treatments we had were fantastic and the staff doing them very professional and def worth the money.

But there was a few issues here;

1. Used Towels and robes lying scattered around hydro pool, clothes bins full also
2. Steam room floor was actually dirty
3. We had to check 8 lockers before getting one that had slippers and robes available
4. Slippers were quite small for mens feet
5. Water cooler that was situated outside hydro area where you wait to be called for treatment wasn't even plugged into the wall, therefore giving out WARM water
6. After our treatments we were shown to the relaxation room in which we found, messy beds, dried up fruit on a plate, just of warm water. There was even glasses and half ate fruit on the small tables beside the beds
Overall the spa experience was not that good and for a hotel of this standard, these small but necessary items may need to be addressed.

We didn't dine in the hotel this time as we had previous and it was fantastic. The atmosphere in the Great Room is always lovely for dinner. The Breakfast again here was beautiful and we were well looked after.

The only other negative that we did find (but did not look for, may I add) was the cleanliness of the bathroom in our room. There was obvious dust in areas on the showerhead, over the tops of the doors where I hung my robe, and on other light fittings. Small things but obvious ones.

Again, these are only small items but for a 5* Hotel in Belfast these things should not be happening. The prices should match the standard, but at this time, this was not the case.

I will definitely return to the hotel again as we love it, but just as I guide, I hope these points are taken on board by the hotel and addressed accordingly.

Room Tip: As we stayed before we had experienced the Art Deco rooms, but it is nice, if you can to try the oth...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 August 2014

The Merchant hotel met every expectation I had, and went beyond that again! My boyfriend was turning 21 and so I thought we would stay at The Merchant hotel as a little surprise as he had always said he'd love to spend a night there. So I surprised him in Bert's Jazz Bar (an outside access bar for the public just below and out behind The Merchant's main entrance). From the word go, all of the staff gave excellent customer service and nothing was too much of an ask! This hotel is even more spectacular as it has a rooftop jacuzzi surrounded by thick, clear perspex so that whilst you soak in the tub, you get panoramic views of the city of Belfast, which at night is absolutely breath-taking. It is a little pricey, but worth every single penny, cent or whatever. I would highly recommend staying here for an occasion or just because you can! The Merchant were aware that it was for my boyfriend's 21st birthday and so they wrote him a birthday card, gave him a birthday balloon and a selection of luxury, hand-made truffles for the occasion! This hotel is one of a kind and you would be a fool to miss out!

Room Tip: We chose a Standard Double Victorian Room because we wanted the old, historical feel that The Mercha...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Caro-Cupake
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Staying here for my partners birthday the hotel is amazing - stayed in the older part of the hotel which was beautiful - had a spa the Bex day too and had the whole room to ourselfs - absolutely brilliant would go again in a heartbeat and the basement spa is definitely a place to try while staying or not staying

Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Myself and my family decided to treat ourselves to a cocktail at the merchant as two of the guests hadn't been before. All 6 of the cocktails were gorgeous. The waiter was very helpful and the added nibbles were very tasty. Its a lovely experience and id recommend it to anyone looking to treat themselves. Its certainly pricey but definitely worth a trip

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We loved our room at this hotel. Very art deco. Large and well furnished. Huge bathroom. The dining room was originally a bank and is almost baroque in exquisite decoration. Food excellent. Good location

Room Tip: I always ask for a room not too close to the elevator. I suspect all the rooms are good.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 August 2014

we stopped into the Merchant for a leisurely cocktail before dinner, the venue is beautiful with distinctly different yet equally impressive styling in several areas around the hotel. It was quite busy when we were there but were swiftly taken to quiet seats at the cocktail bar where we had pleasant time sipping our drinks, reading the merchants wonderful guide to cocktails and chatting with the staff who were exceptionally friendly. All in all it is a lovely spot to pass away some quality time in pleasant surroundings.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

With great expectation I arrived for afternoon tea yesterday with my lifelong friend: unfortunately we both came away feeling slightly underwhelmed. The hotel is of course beautiful...the service exceptional...the food pitifully average. My friend and I were offered a table for two, but by the time our food, teapots, champagne etc had been crushed onto the available space, the two of us could barely move..let alone see each other. On request we were immediately moved to a larger table which was much better and we could at least have a face to face conversation. My selection of sandwiches were ok..my vegetarian friend's were far from good and she commented on their blandness. The scones were slightly hard with a tiniest portion of jam and runny double cream that dripped off the sides..not good. The Merchant should take note that clotted cream is definitely a better choice. We were offered macaroons..salted caramel and pistachio..both quite nice. Then a selection of cakes....again tasty but so thinly sliced the portion looked decidedly measly. My selection of patisseries were ok...but the vegetarian selection was poor and lacked any imagination. It really was such a pity and I think given the price The Merchant could do so much better....instead of looking delicate everything looked a bit mean. We'd been to The Ritz a few years back for afternoon tea...no empty spaces on their cake stands and the selection was fabulous. I've done some mystery shopping so this hotel should be so delighted I out socialising and not working! Do listen Merchant hotel...style over substance just doesn't work all the time.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends