Decided last minute to book a night trip away for my husband and I as we have stressfull jobs and need a break away. We always try and stay in the Merchant Hotel at least once or twice a year so I checked their availability and it was available. I first of all booked our bedroom with reception for Tuesday 15th of July, booking a Victorian Room. I asked for email conformation which I received, but upon checking it was booked in for Monday 14th July. I rang and they changed it immediately. I then went and booked treatments in the spa for that afternoon which again we were fortunate to get as this was quite last minute. Again asking for email conformation I got the conformation for Monday the 14th in the email. I rang back again and they re-sent the email for the correct date.
Upon arrival at the hotel everything was fantastic at check in and we went to our room which was fabulous as always.
We then went for a few cocktails as our treatments were until 5pm that evening. Cocktails were unreal and the staff there were so nice and attentive.
When we went for our treatments in the spa, I was having a back, neck and scalp massage and my partner was having a facial and we were both using the Hdyro area beforehand. Both treatments we had were fantastic and the staff doing them very professional and def worth the money.
But there was a few issues here;
1. Used Towels and robes lying scattered around hydro pool, clothes bins full also
2. Steam room floor was actually dirty
3. We had to check 8 lockers before getting one that had slippers and robes available
4. Slippers were quite small for mens feet
5. Water cooler that was situated outside hydro area where you wait to be called for treatment wasn't even plugged into the wall, therefore giving out WARM water
6. After our treatments we were shown to the relaxation room in which we found, messy beds, dried up fruit on a plate, just of warm water. There was even glasses and half ate fruit on the small tables beside the beds
Overall the spa experience was not that good and for a hotel of this standard, these small but necessary items may need to be addressed.
We didn't dine in the hotel this time as we had previous and it was fantastic. The atmosphere in the Great Room is always lovely for dinner. The Breakfast again here was beautiful and we were well looked after.
The only other negative that we did find (but did not look for, may I add) was the cleanliness of the bathroom in our room. There was obvious dust in areas on the showerhead, over the tops of the doors where I hung my robe, and on other light fittings. Small things but obvious ones.
Again, these are only small items but for a 5* Hotel in Belfast these things should not be happening. The prices should match the standard, but at this time, this was not the case.
I will definitely return to the hotel again as we love it, but just as I guide, I hope these points are taken on board by the hotel and addressed accordingly.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Cancelon, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Merchant Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Merchant Hotel Belfast