“Overrated”

Ranked #3 of 43 Hotels in Belfast
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Overrated”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

What is all the hype about this place for?
I stayed for one night B&B. Check in was pleasant with staff being friendly and welcoming.
I was left with a lasting disappointing feeling of the room. We stayed in one of the Victorian rooms, which was sparsely decorated, tired and worn around the edges and did not make me want to spend any more time in it than was necessary. I was amazed to find a mini bar tucked in the wardrobe down by the door filled to bursting with absolutely nothing, empty!
Went down to reluctantly use the spa, reluctant at the thought of having to pay for the use of hotel facilities that should really be complimentary with your stay! Thankfully it was fully booked. As an alternative I did use the hot tub on the roof, the steam room and sauna in attached to the gym which guests can use for no additional charge.
Breakfast was as good as breakfast can be, hard to get wrong really. The service in the restaurant was 1st class.
Hotel location is perfect, in the centre of Belfast's very popular Cathedral Quarter where there is something for everyone for a night out.
Lasting impression was disappointment and don't feel this hotel lives up to it's 5* rating.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank A80JM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Carrickfergus, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

All fur coat and no k*^%$ers... Excuse my French.

Stayed here with my husband on a city break. Booked a suite, long and narrow, terrible smell when we went into the room. The carpet was soaking wet and smelly. Apparently the 'wet room' bathroom concept didn't work so all the water from the shower flooded out into the bedroom. By the smell this was not a one off.

They did not offer to change rooms and begrudgingly offered us 2 extra towels to help soak up the nasty shower water left behind by the previous guests.... delightful.

Then on check out after paying well over £300 they had a cheek to ask me for £1 for the paper they left outside my room.

Cannot express my disgust enough, I've had better service, better rooms and better experiences at a Holiday Inn.

This hotel in no way deserves its 5 star rating. Astonishing, wouldn't stay here even if I was offered a free room.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Melanie6789
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

From the moment we arrived we were welcomed by very professional staff, out car was taken to the car park by concierge and we had hassle free check out and we were shown to our room by very friendly and professional concierge Dean. The room was beautiful, plenty of day light with amazing bathroom and all the facilities like safe, T/C tray with cookies, slippers, umbrella and amazing fruity boutique toiletries. When we cam back to the room we were surprised by a bottle of champagne and fruit basket and a birthday card. Later on we got delicious chocolates and a balloon with "Celebrations" dropped to the bedroom. In the evening we had cocktails in the bar and they were amazing and the staff were so professional as well. There is over 100 pages cocktail menu- you know The Merchant Bar is the best for cocktails in Belfast. the breakfast was served a'la carte- all very nice. The staff was working so hard to look after everybody.When our car was dropped to us by concierge we found Merchant branded mints in the car- lovely touch.

Once again amazing stay! Thank you Paula and the staff of the Merchant hotel. We will definitely be back.

Alicia

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Phebe84
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

I stayed in the older section of the hotel. The room and bathroom were absolutely gorgeous. Service was impeccable! A few minor inconveniences - number and location of electrical outlets. Can't wait to return!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank MJD110
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

This is a city centre hotel with lots of noise, so not suitable as a wedding hotel venue, you'll be inviting family who will want to get to sleep early and will get little here. I was put in older room opposite a bar the first night and got no sleep with noise from the bar, traffic and the hotel and bar extractor fans when asked for a quiet room was put in a new room at the back but it was beside the hotel services courtyard with all the very loud extractor fans and air conditional vents and took hours to get to sleep in that room. I was exhausted and could not enjoy wedding.

Room Tip: they could offer no actually quiet rooms.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank John_PC2
Armagh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Decided last minute to book a night trip away for my husband and I as we have stressfull jobs and need a break away. We always try and stay in the Merchant Hotel at least once or twice a year so I checked their availability and it was available. I first of all booked our bedroom with reception for Tuesday 15th of July, booking a Victorian Room. I asked for email conformation which I received, but upon checking it was booked in for Monday 14th July. I rang and they changed it immediately. I then went and booked treatments in the spa for that afternoon which again we were fortunate to get as this was quite last minute. Again asking for email conformation I got the conformation for Monday the 14th in the email. I rang back again and they re-sent the email for the correct date.
Upon arrival at the hotel everything was fantastic at check in and we went to our room which was fabulous as always.
We then went for a few cocktails as our treatments were until 5pm that evening. Cocktails were unreal and the staff there were so nice and attentive.

When we went for our treatments in the spa, I was having a back, neck and scalp massage and my partner was having a facial and we were both using the Hdyro area beforehand. Both treatments we had were fantastic and the staff doing them very professional and def worth the money.

But there was a few issues here;

1. Used Towels and robes lying scattered around hydro pool, clothes bins full also
2. Steam room floor was actually dirty
3. We had to check 8 lockers before getting one that had slippers and robes available
4. Slippers were quite small for mens feet
5. Water cooler that was situated outside hydro area where you wait to be called for treatment wasn't even plugged into the wall, therefore giving out WARM water
6. After our treatments we were shown to the relaxation room in which we found, messy beds, dried up fruit on a plate, just of warm water. There was even glasses and half ate fruit on the small tables beside the beds
Overall the spa experience was not that good and for a hotel of this standard, these small but necessary items may need to be addressed.

We didn't dine in the hotel this time as we had previous and it was fantastic. The atmosphere in the Great Room is always lovely for dinner. The Breakfast again here was beautiful and we were well looked after.

The only other negative that we did find (but did not look for, may I add) was the cleanliness of the bathroom in our room. There was obvious dust in areas on the showerhead, over the tops of the doors where I hung my robe, and on other light fittings. Small things but obvious ones.

Again, these are only small items but for a 5* Hotel in Belfast these things should not be happening. The prices should match the standard, but at this time, this was not the case.

I will definitely return to the hotel again as we love it, but just as I guide, I hope these points are taken on board by the hotel and addressed accordingly.

Room Tip: As we stayed before we had experienced the Art Deco rooms, but it is nice, if you can to try the oth...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

The Merchant hotel met every expectation I had, and went beyond that again! My boyfriend was turning 21 and so I thought we would stay at The Merchant hotel as a little surprise as he had always said he'd love to spend a night there. So I surprised him in Bert's Jazz Bar (an outside access bar for the public just below and out behind The Merchant's main entrance). From the word go, all of the staff gave excellent customer service and nothing was too much of an ask! This hotel is even more spectacular as it has a rooftop jacuzzi surrounded by thick, clear perspex so that whilst you soak in the tub, you get panoramic views of the city of Belfast, which at night is absolutely breath-taking. It is a little pricey, but worth every single penny, cent or whatever. I would highly recommend staying here for an occasion or just because you can! The Merchant were aware that it was for my boyfriend's 21st birthday and so they wrote him a birthday card, gave him a birthday balloon and a selection of luxury, hand-made truffles for the occasion! This hotel is one of a kind and you would be a fool to miss out!

Room Tip: We chose a Standard Double Victorian Room because we wanted the old, historical feel that The Mercha...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple