“Nice.....but pricey”
Review of Merchant Hotel

Merchant Hotel
Ranked #2 of 47 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed 24 August 2014

This place is very nice. I stayed one night on a deal I got through another website. I definitely would not pay over £200 a night to stay here. The breakfast was nice and the staff in the Great Room were very good. The bed was very comfortable. The main thing that got to me was that when I came to check in the reception staff told me to take a seat and they would call me over. I waited about 20 minutes whilst they checked in several people who arrived after me. This annoyed me and I had to go over myself and ask to be checked in and the staff never even acknowledge the fact that they had made me wait and forgot about me. Iv had better service in rural towns in the back end of the USA in comparison to this.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,647)

Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed for our wedding night.
Amazed by the interior styles, though it can be very difficult to find your way around the maze of corridors.
The front desk staff were pleasant, though the attitude of some of the staff in the great room and bar leave a lot to be desired.

We stayed in the suite, which was beautiful. However the noise from the clubs on the same street vibrates through the walls until well after midnight (I suspect as a listing building it isn't possible to sound proof).

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TokyoApple2014
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Recently stayed at the merchant hotel , hotel is lovely , staff very friendly , rooms lovely and breakfast was excellent , would defiantly recommend this hotel . We tried the cocktails and although they were very nice I thought they were a little over priced at almost £22 for 2 with service charge included in that , girl working in the cocktail bar was lovely very pleasant .

Room Tip: We had room 532 room was lovely but did not have a good view .
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We finished off our trip to Northern Ireland and Belfast with a final night at the Merchant Hotel. We left our wives at the front door whist we returned the hire car, and the staff couldn't have been more helpful in assisting with the luggage and check in.

Our room was fantastic and was one of the old vaults on the first floor. Huge bed, crisp linen and soft furnishings. Only down side was we were opposite a couple of pubs which were noisy until the early hours. The bathroom was great with a wonderful drench shower or a choice of a soak in the slipper bath! Our friends were on the second floor, with the biggest bathroom in the hotel!

We visited the roof top hot tub, which provided views over the roof tops of Belfast and to round off our visit, we arranged champagne and chocolates in the rooms, which we enjoyed before dinner.

Dinner was in the Great room (see separate review for the restaurant).

Worth it's five stars,

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank RoutemasterCambridge
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We booked the half day spa package, which included one hour hydrotherapy session, a massage, facial and lunch for 160 pounds each. It was our first wedding anniversary, so it's a lovely treat. It was very peaceful and quite- only 2 others in the hydrotherapy suite, which is a pool with massage jets, sauna, steam room etc. Lovely way to start relaxing before the treatments. Our facials and massages were very relaxing indeed. Very friendly staff. All very professional.
The lunch was served in the spa, so you don't need to get dressed again, which meant the relaxation continued for hours.
Very pleasant experience and would go back. Only reason not a 5 star is, it just doesn't have the 'wow' factor

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed in the Art Deco suites.great rooms.plenty of space.place was spotless.service excellent, staff friendly,breakfast excellent, good variety on offer,had an enjoyable stay.great location, very central for shopping & beer! Hope to be back soon.

Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank C81
Reviewed 16 August 2014

My wife and I got married at the Merchant on 13/08/2014. We stayed for 3 nights. We stayed in an Art Deco room and it exceeded expectation. The room was bigger than any hotel room I have stayed in and it was fantastic. The bathroom consisted of a free standing bath and a large walk in shower. Everything about the hotel was 5 star but best of all were the staff. The staff were so pleasant and helpful, nothing was too much for them and they did everything with a smile. A special thanks to Clare Coyle our wedding co-ordinator, Ashu our master of ceremonies and to Danny who seemed to do everything from serving drinks to opening every door we went to walk through as we made our way through the hotel on our wedding day and he was there from start to finish with a smile on his face and nothing was too much. If you are considering planning your wedding it will be hard to find anywhere better than the Merchant.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family