“Highly recommended” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 43 Hotels in Belfast
Donegal
“Highly recommended”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2009

I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. We thoroughly enjoyed our weekend in the Merchant Hotel. We found the staff to be extremely friendly and helpful, especially William. They pay attention to all the little details and do everything possible to ensure you have an enjoyable stay. I look forward to staying in the hotel again.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
NI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2009

My friends and I have been to the Merchant for afternoon tea three times now and we've never been disappointed. The venue itself is stunning - really plush and not like the cold decors of some city centre hotels and restaurants. When we went just before Christmas our visit was made even more special as there was a pianist playing in the background and it was the perfect escape from the city buzz!
Our service has always been brilliant - the staff who served us were not only attentive but got the fine balance of perfect service without being pushing or overbearing. Being a plain eater I was able to phone up in advance to insure that we could have plain sandwiches etc. and this was no problem for the Merchant and when we arrived they were able to confirm that this request had been arranged for my friends and I.
The afternoon tea itself was beautifully presented as you would expect and had delicate sandwiches, beautiful warm scones with jam and cream and a top layer of mini sweet treats like toffee eclairs, mini trifles, chocolate cake with gold leaf and more! Whilst we each chose from the extensive range of regular and herbal teas each stand had plenty for 2 people to share (we had 2 platters between 5 last time and everyone had plenty to eat)! I definately recommend this experience- whether it's as a special treat or a regular date with family or friends to catch up!

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank NI20-25
Northern Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2009

My friends and I went to Ollies for the first time last week - it is unlike any club I have ever been to before and def in a league of its own. The club has the real luxury, classy feel but funky at the same time. The music was really good, plenty of chart tunes and commercial dance to bop to! If you are looking for a top night out with the girls ( or even guys!) make sure you check this place out.

• Stayed May 2009
1 Thank FizzyColaBottle
Belfast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2009

Myself and 3 friends recently had our first (and it won't be the last) experience of the Cocktail Bar at The Merchant Hotel. My friend was celebrating her birthday (as she's female I'll neglect to say her age) so we decided to celebrate with cocktails at the Merchant and I have to say it was the most enjoyable "drinks with friends" night I've had in Belfast.

The ambiance was cozy and relaxed due to the low lighting and deep sumptuous decor - definitely the most plush bar there is in Belfast!

The service was impeccable - table service of course with the waiters always on hand to take your order or to refill your complimentary bar snacks (which were gorgeous - olives, pretzels, cheese twists etc). The perfect accompaniment to our cocktails which were presented beautifully.

One thing I have to note - I sometimes find with 5 star establishments that the staff can be quite snooty and stand offish but The Merchant staff are so friendly and helpful - not at all unwelcoming! I was very pleased to see this for once!

We are planning to return in a couple of weeks for dinner and more cocktails of course. I would recommend this Hotel to anyone who enjoys great drinks, gorgeous surroundings and excellent service!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Porter_Y
Co Down
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2009

This was the second time I stayed in this hotel, it has got a bit tired since then and did not have the wow factor I had the first time. I think it needs freshened up, maybe this will happen when the new part is completed. The food was lovely but the resturant is a bit stuffy and quiet .

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Northern Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2009

We were greeted on arrival by a friendly member of concierge who kindly valet parked our car. The hotel appears grand and old worldly from the outset. Service at reception was first class, efficient and utterly professional. The member of concierge which showed us to our room was fantastic, extremely friendly and helpful. Our room was reasonably spacious and equipped with a huge comfortable bed. The room was very opulent and decorated using the finest materials and antiques. The common areas of the hotel are dark, moody, luxurious and very grand. The whole hotel, the Great Room restaurant in particular feels a little royal and palace like! Our meal was first class, everything was cooked and flavoured beautifully and the menu offeredan excellent selection. Service was very slick and professional but just a tad on the cold side. The restaurant is beautifully grand, with high ceilings and beautiful chandeliers. After the meal we enjoyed some fabulous cocktails (definately worth a visit!!) in the cocktail bar. Service was superb, we were provided with olives and other savoury nibbles on arrival, which was
a lovely touch.

We then retired to our room to find the blackout blinds pulled, the bed turned down, chocolates and mineral water. Also, on each bedside locker was a little note with tomorrows weather and a proverb for the day. All lovely touches. Breakfast realky is something special, words cannot describe! All in all, it goes without saying that we thoroughly enjoyed our visit to the Merchant Hotel and will return with haste. We are well seasoned travellers and have stayed in many luxury hotels but the Merchant has definately been our favourite so far! We didn't even miss spa and gym facilities, although they would have nicely topped it off. We were informed by reception though that these facilities are currently being constructed for introduction in 2010!

Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2009

The Merchant feels like a home away from home. Located in the heart of Belfast, everything is close to hand. I met a friendly store owner in town who was happily telling me what I should do and see in Belfast.when he asked me where I was staying. When I said the Merchant he replied 'Ah! just stay there then; you don't need to go anywhere else.

That pretty much sums up a stay at the Merchant. Wonderful place and great, friendly staff.

1 Thank RFB1968