“Burj belfast style”
Review of Merchant Hotel

Merchant Hotel
Ranked #2 of 45 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed 21 August 2009

my experience with the merchant hotel met all my expectations and exceded others, we had a baby with us; would you like a cot sir? yes ! on arrival cot, baby bottle fridge, bottle warmer, johnstons baby bath lotion, baby shampoo, baby oil, over delivered on what we where expecting.
we stayed in another boutique belfast hotel a week later as the merchant was booked up, the other hotel was more expensive than our merchant experience and we expected a similar level of hospitality unfortunately this was not the case. the reception staff where not as friendly as the merchant, the corridors where dark, the room the tv only had basic stations and to access the other stations was £24.99 wereas the merchant included a dvd player in the room great for kids dvds. the merchant provided bottles of water in the room the other hotel provided 1 small bottle of water and if you wanted another one it could be purchased from the mini bar @£3 which i felt a bit stingy. also they offered to lend you an umbrella but if you did not bring it back they charged £15. these petty charges are acceptable if you are charging less than £80 per stay but we were charged £280 per night. i will become better organised and book well in advance to ensure i get to stay at the merchant and not have to accept second best and stay anywere else.

on our trip to the merchant square bear the teddy was unfortunately left behind at the merchant hotel, the staff very kindly posted this on to ourselves.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank doc813700
Write a ReviewReviews (2,599)

Reviewed 18 August 2009

My Husband and I thought we would kill 2 birds with the one stone - see the tall ships & treat ourselves - which we surely did by staying at The Merchant. From the very start of our stay the staff were very courteous, helpful and friendly, without being over the top. We were very fortunate on being upgraded to a suite. Sheer luxury - the suite was very comfortable. We were B&B guests, so breakfast served up until 10.30am was a chance to get a lie in! Breakfast was lovely and relaxed, nothing too much bother. Later we called back for afternoon tea, another highly recommended treat! Hopefully we'll not wait until the tall ships return to Belfast before we return to The Merchant!

1  Thank MourneLass
Reviewed 18 August 2009

From the moment my partner and I arrived at the Merchant we were treated like a King & Queen. The rooms were of a very high standard, clean & with very tasteful decor. The hotel is situaded perfectly for shopping and taking in the nightlife of Belfast. The thing I liked best about my stay was the helpfulness of the staff to cater for our every need. I only live 10 miles from the hotel, but i will definately be using it again in the future

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mrhotel84
Reviewed 18 August 2009

I stayed here last month with my 12-year old daughter. We had taken a 2-train trip from Rosslare at our favourite hotel there so we were going to be hard to please! However, from the moment we drew up outside the hotel we knew this place was going to look after us. When you enter the hotel you are at once struck by the very special atmospheric lighting, which at once puts you in the mood of another, much gentler time!. The decor is amazing (this hotel has the best bathrooms I've ever seen), the bedrooms are super-chic with everything you could possibly need and every one of the staff are charming and helpful and knowledgeable of the city. The main restaurant (the Great room) is a true delight for the senses (both palate and eyes!). Its location is right in the centre, close to everything and allows you to explore Belfast with comfort and ease. It´s a long tome since I´d spent time in Belfast but this hotel opened a new experience to me and I can´t wait to return! Bravo to the Merchant!

• Stayed: July 2009
Reviewed 18 August 2009

The hotel is fantastic - the 'Great Room' must be seen to be believed. The bedroom was amazing - with an amazingly comfortable bed! The service was second to none. I look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ballyglunin
Reviewed 17 August 2009

Very central but can be a little noisy as a result. They do supply ear plugs.
Beautiful elegant decor. The Great Hall is magnificent.
Great food and very professional and friendly staff.
Excellent cocktail bar - you'll not be disappointed,

1  Thank rjgc
Reviewed 16 August 2009

Amazing hotel. Staff were the best I have experienced in years of travelling the world. The turn down service best ever ! Room was luxurious and so comfortable. Only downside was building work going on right outside bedroom window. Had dinner in the Great Room restaurant. Stunning room, felt like I was in the V & A museum. Food and service excellent. Breakfast was fabulous and again service was amazing.

2  Thank 060812z