“Amazing! Best Hotel Ever!!!”
Review of Merchant Hotel

Merchant Hotel
Ranked #2 of 45 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed 30 August 2010

From the moment my boyfriend and myself arrived at this hotel we were amazed. The staff were friendly, welcoming and very glad to answer any of our questions. David (the concierge) showed us to our room and made sure that we knew were everything was.

The room was gorgeous, very spacious and modern, with everything you would need for a trip away. We went for a three course meal in the Great Hall. The surroundings were beautiful and the food was delicious. Very reasonable, £23.50 for a three course meal.

They also have a lovely cocktail bar. I couldn't decide what to have as I dont like gin, rum etc so I thought I would not get a cocktail that I would like, but the man who made the cocktails came over to our table and asked if I wanted something tall and refreshing or short and strong. I went for tall and refreshing and he came back with a vodka based cocktail called Doctor Harrison, which I would highly recommend. It was so good that I ordered another one.

Unfortunately we didn't use the spa while we were there, but we will definitely make a point of going the next time we visit. All in all I would highly recommend the merchant, we had such a good time that we booked another night there as soon as we got home!!

1  Thank Monkey2468
Write a ReviewReviews (2,624)

Reviewed 30 August 2010

I dont usually write reviews but am inclined to read them so I thought I would share my experience with you. The Merchant is the most gorgeous hotel I have ever stayed in. I have never seen such a place never mind stay in it. As soon as you walk through the doors you think 'wow' The staff greet you with a hand shake and havef that typical friendly way that most people in Belfast have. Our room was fantastic, huge, bright and just down right amazing. It was spotless and not a thing out of place. Breakfast was too die for and the facilities were amazing. I have stayed in a lot of hotels all over the world and the one im most impressed with is in my home town. What a treat......

Reviewed 29 August 2010

We arrived on a Friday evening to the hotel. We used the door on skipper street which had a fabulous first impression with massive curtains on the outside of the door and the biggest bouquet of flowers I've ever seen . We were on a special package which included champagne in the room on arrival. Our room was 331 a twin in the new extension. Well what can i say it was superb. It had 2 queen beds with mirror and rug headboard and the comfiest mattress ever! The bathroom has a giant shower and free standing bath with heated towel rails and a big circular mirror. Upon opening the wardrobe you see what can only be described as a make-up area for a diva, there was a stool and a mirror that had light bulbs the whole way around it. Breakfast was superb in the great room restaurant, a very good choice. All staff are excellent esp William (concierge) if you ever get a chance please stay here!

Reviewed 27 August 2010

I booked The Merchant as a last minute option. I also took advantage of the hotel Rolls Royce Limo £45.00 from the City of Belfast Airport, well worth the experience and a good start to an excellent weekend on the Friday.
The driver was very informative on the drive to the hotel, which is only 10 minutes. Arrived at the hotel to be greeted by William, the happiest, chirpiest concierge I have ever met.
The room we were allocated was on the 1st floor in the old part of the hotel, above the bar. This was OK on Friday night but extremely noisy on Saturday night and we did not get to sleep until the early hours. Request a room in the new part of the hotel and on the higher floors, these should be more peaceful. The room we had was really nice, beautifully furnished with antique furniture and very clean. Even the bathroom was decorated with antique fittings. The bed was very comfortable and we slept very well. Only down side to the room was the poor quality of lighting. I assume that most of the rooms are the same. My wife was complaining that she could not apply her make-up because the lighting was so dim.
We arrived late on Friday so we had walk through the surrounding area and had a couple of drinks in the local pubs. The following day we booked a table in the Grand Restaraunt for 8.30 that evening and then headed out to the delights of Belfast.
We returned mid afternoon and discovered that afternoon tea was being served. The restaraunt was extremely busy but the Maitre D found a table. A great experience and a nice treat at £20..00 each.
After another walk of discovery, we returned to the hotel and prepared for dinner. We arrived at the restaraunt at 8.30 to be seated and presented with the menu. We waited 10 minutes for the starters to be served and then waited and waited and waited, for the main course, I complained to the head waiter and the again at 9.30, he went to investigate and returned to tell me that the kitchen had burned the food. At 9.50 I again complained, and was told it would be served in 5 minutes. At 10.00pm our food arrive....... stone cold.
I informed the header waiter that we would not be eating the food and we leaving and did not expect to see a charge on my bill. The maitre d was very apologetic and asked that we stay and she would sort everything out. I refused as it was now to late to eat.
We left the restaraunt. The following morning we found a letter of apology had been posted under our room door. The apology was very detailed and also included a £100.00 voucher for our next visit to the restaraunt. I thought this was quite generous and went a little way to salvage an evening that up to that point we were enjoying.
The voucher was valid for 12 months, the possibility of my returning to use the voucher was very slim, upon checking out I asked if the voucher could be used against my room bill. With the consent of the restaraunt manager this was agreed to.
Do'nt let my experience in the restaraunt put you off visiting. This hotel and it's staff are great and I would happily return .....just a little wiser next time.

1  Thank happybagger
Reviewed 20 August 2010

We stayed in the new extension of The Merchant in room 226 on Sunday 15th August.

On arrival the hotel is impressive, both the old and new parts. Reception is now located in the new part of the hotel, which you can access via a side door on Waring Street or the new doors on Skipper Street.

We were greeted by Clare on reception who was very friendly, helpful and professional. Dave (Bellboy/Porter) took our bags and showed us to our room, he was also friendly and professional. Our special room rate included a bottle of Champagne which was waiting for us on arrival, nicely chilled.

The room was fabulous! It was a huge bright and airy room, with a superking size bed which is quite high if you are short like me! It was extremely comfy, you just sank into the mattress & pillows and a huge chunky Art Deco style mirror for the headboard, then what I would describe as a shaggy rug above it on the wall. The whole room was Art Deco style to tie in with the new extension. The view was out to Skipper Street , not the best view in Belfast , but then again you are right in the city centre. There was very little street noise during the night or next morning.

There were 2 bedside tables with lamps, a sofa, chair, coffee table, side table, floor lamp and an additional desk & chair. In the room there were 2 huge windows that let in lots of natural light, heavy thick curtains to block out the light if required. There was air conditioning, tea & coffee making facilities, fridge and a TV with a huge range of channels/radio inc Sky Sports 1 & 2.

The bathroom was extremely spacious, again Art Deco in style. There was roll top free standing bath, single sink with lots of space to set out toiletries, huge mirror. A double walk in shower with a large rainfall shower head. Plenty of towels and toiletries were provided. There was also a speaker in the bathroom so you could hear the TV, I couldn’t see a way of turning this off, though a TV in the bathroom would have finished this room off nicely.

As you came into the room there were lovely padded shiny doors, behind these there was a walk in wardrobe, which had robes, slippers, umbrella, ironing board, iron, hairdryer and safe. Also there was a fabulous stool and mirror with Hollywood style lights around it, wonderful finishing touch and great to do make up/hair.

WiFi is available free for guests, you can get passwords at reception, I couldn’t get it to work on my iPhone, so just used 3G instead

We came back to our room in the evening and there had been a turn down service. The bed was turned down and chocolates had been left by the bedside cabinet along with the next days weather forecast. Two bottles of complimentary water were also left in the fridge. A comment card was also left to be filled out.

As a hotel guest you can also use the gym, sauna, steam room and outdoor hot tub on the roof. Unfortunately the sauna and hot tub were not working during our stay. Towels and toiletries are provided if you use these facilities.

We did not eat in the hotel, you could get breakfast in the Great Room for £12 per person (our rate was room only). We ate dinner in The Cloth Ear – The Merchant’s public bar, food was delicious and friendly staff, traditional Irish music is played on Sunday evenings from 5-8pm. We didn’t get to see Bert’s Jazz Bar or the Roof Top Garden unfortunately (next time!)

As with any new hotel/building there are a few niggles, a few bulbs not working or tv channels, these are very small things but were reported to reception on departure. One very minor irritant is the incorrect name/spelling wrote on our key card holder. The right name was on the booking / emails, attention to detail when copying guests details down would be more professional from a 5* hotel.

As a local I have wanted to experience a stay in The Merchant for a long time and it did not disappoint, even if a few facilities were not available. I would love to go back again but not at rack rate! Yes it is expensive, but if you have the cash to spare it is worth it.

Reviewed 20 August 2010

Went out for a meal with a group of friends and thought we'd try the Merchant. Wouldn't go back. Decor is lovely but service slow, food bland portions minimal and hugely overpriced. House wine £25 Bottle of still water £7.5 Have had much better meals elsewhere in Belfast

1  Thank tulieaba
Reviewed 19 August 2010

For a 5 star hotel the noise from the surrounding night life is ridiculous. They actually have ear plugs in your rooms!!!!! We had no hot water in our first room, none in the second and a little better in the third. For a one night stay having to move three times due to noise and insufficient amenities is ridiculous. The hotel is lovely but the premier inn offers quieter surroundings and wlhot water!!! Will not be staying their again