“Amazing hotel”
Review of Merchant Hotel

Merchant Hotel
Ranked #2 of 45 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed 5 January 2011

We stayed in an art deco room it was great, two huge tvs, fridge and a massive bathroom with an amazing roll top bath. We had booked the hotel early as the first night of our honeymoon before travelling to London, I'm so glad we made this choice.
When I looked at the hotel website the week before staying I realised that they had extended a previous offer for dinner bed and breakfast, I sent an email asking if we could change to this offer and it was done with no questions asked.
We had dinner in the great room which was very good, then went to Berts for a few cocktails, lovely ambiance and and excellent jazz singer.
Breakfast the next morning was one of the best I have had, the eggs benedict was beautiful.
All in all an excellent stay and I would go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cazni

Reviewed 4 January 2011

My husband and I have stayed in the merchant on many occasions now and I honestly cannot say I have ever not felt totally indulged and spoilt.The staff are always wonderful,professional but also friendly,nothing is ever to much trouble for them.The rooms are amazing ( all of them) the great dining room is so beautiful and the attention to detail is second to none.If you want a romantic break this hotel has everything ,you wouldn't even need to leave the hotel.The spa is luxurious ,the cocktails are knockout and the whole place leaves me feeling like a film star for a day!

2  Thank lyndabearwilliams
Reviewed 24 December 2010

Christmas shopping trip with my 20 year old daughter. We stayed in the Merchant Hotel Belfast for two nights. At check in upgraded to a huge 'Art Deco' style twin room free of charge.
Staff in hotel the friendliest I have ever met, we can't wait for another excuse to visit Belfast and a trip to The Merchant.

• Stayed: December 2010
2  Thank graduate95
Reviewed 24 December 2010

I stayed in the above hotel for one night with my wife in early December. We had a wonderful stay. The hotel is beautifully furnished to very high standard. The room was lovely with all the amenities anyone could wish for. We had a meal in the restaurant which was first class. However what stood out for me at the Merchant was the staff. We arrived and the valet took my car and parked it, which was great as it was snowing heavily. The checking in process was very efficient. During the meal the staff were very attentive without being overbearing. Bar staff were all very friendly and couldnt do enough for you. The breakfast next morning was superb. All in all it was a very relaxing stay and a great way to take the stress out of your Christmas shopping. The only problem was that it was only for one night.

1  Thank Gary009
Reviewed 18 December 2010

After spending an extended period of time working away from home, I had booked a romantic weekend for my wife and I. Upon arriving at around 15:30 we were informed that our room was not ready. Check in time is 15:00. We were given an excuse about it being a busy time. No complimentary drink was offered while we waited so we went next door for a drink in the Cloth Ear. At around 16:15 we were told our room was finally ready.

Check in was another disaster. Apparently my visa debit card was not preferred by the hotel so I would not be able to charge anything to my room. I was informed that our baggage and previously booked champagne was awaiting. No one escorted us to the room. After finally fumbling around for light switches I discovered there was no luggage and no champagne. The bathroom had also not been cleaned properly with the remainder of used toliet roll discarded on the floor.

I informed the reception of my experience who told me that our luggage and champagne would soon appear and they would inform the management. Trying to put this initial bad start behind us we actually enjoyed the remainder of our evening.

I tried to book a table for the second night in one of the hotel's restaurants. Taking it for granted that hotel residents would be able to eat in the hotel. The hotel was fully booked with office parties christmas dinners. We even had a young girl knock on our door at 04:30 having mistakingly gone to the wrong room. The Great room was not clean and the management were obviously more interested in cashing in on the festive period.

After leaving the hotel I had discovered I was overcharged by £143.00. Again no attempt was made to overcome the situation. After a lengthy investigation the girl on reception told me the money would be back in my account within ten days. The customer service was very poor and after spending almost £1000 for a two night experience, I was very disappointed.

8  Thank Mark186470
Reviewed 18 December 2010

We stayed at the Merchant specifically for the cocktail bar which has won numerous accolades across the world. Although this is a very beautiful hotel, everything else about it is very average indeed, particularly when comparing with similar establishments in cities such as London.

Our flight was quite early and we arrived at the hotel at approximately 11am in order to drop off our bags before going to do a bit of shopping. We knew check-in was officially 3pm but as we had a reservation for afternoon tea at 3pm, requested that we might acess the room just a few minutes early in order to get changed. Admittedly nothing was promised, and we were told that they would call us but considering this is a 5 star hotel I was not expecting any problems. Sure enough, no call by 3pm and when we arrived to check-in, it took another 10 mins for them to actually confirm the room was ready!

The room was lovely, although the shower cubicle is very 'standard' in size, not quite the opulence of the rest of the hotel. Afternoon tea was very average. Although the great room is a magnificent sight, it is lit very badly and sitting in the dark whilst enjoying afternoon tea is not quite on the same level as similar hotels in London. Sandwiches were fine if a little uninspiring, scones were actually very good but the major disappointment was the quality of the sweets. Honestly these were really quite poor. The tea list was short but of good quality. Service was distinctly average, with us left waiting for tea top ups for quite some time.

On the second day we had originally booked for dinner in the hotel but the room was so dark we didnt feel particularly enthusiastic about eating there. The menu was also a very, I'm going to say it again, average 'festive menu, that varied in price quite considerably depending on te day you wanted to eat it. Ranging from £27.50 early in the week to £50 per head on the Saturday we wanted to eat felt like a bit of a cheek. We opted for lunch in the Michelin starred Deane's restaurant a short walk away. Not for a while have I made a better decision, the food and service here was excellent and couldn't be faulted.

We spent both nights in the cocktail bar working our way through the extensive menu. I should probably point out that my opinions here reflect the fact that, although I don't work in the industry, I do run a cocktail society in London and also write reviews of cocktail bars for various sites. My assessment of quality is probably not therefore, that of the average customer. The cocktails are certainly not on a par with their current award of "worlds best bar". Although not terrible by any stretch of the imagination, many were executed poorly and some slapdash use of ingredients meant they were not as balanced as they should be, often being too sour, or heavily flavoured with one ingredient. If you are looking for 'good' cocktails and (without being patronising) dont spend a lot of time in high end cocktail bars, then you will likely be perfectly happy. If however, you are making a special trip for the cocktails here, I would recommend reconsidering. Unfortunately the service was also poor, with the waiting staff not having any knowledge of the drinks. Whilst this was not a problem for us, I saw many other customers looking a bit bewildered by the menu and asking for a recommendation. Usually they were told this was not possible and so they ended up ordering wine or beer, such a shame when all that was required was to take some time to explain a couple of good recommendations. I should also point out that the website has not been updated, the menu on there at the moment is the previous cocktail menu and since then the rinks have changed and the prices are now approx £10 per drink. One thing of note is that the bar snacks (both complimentary and purchased) are very good!

The poor quality of drinks and service at the bar has subsequently explained by a conversation with the food and beverage manager. He revealed that Sean Muldoon, the start bar manager who achieved so many of the bars awards, left a few weeks ago. The current staff are much newer and consequently not as well trained or as skillful. I just hope that this bar finds a new bar manager who can recreate the magic that this bar is so famous for. When they do I shall go back, in the meantime I would spend my money elsewhere.

3  Thank robinthered
Reviewed 15 December 2010

This is simply the best hotel in Belfast. The brand new wing is based on an art deco period and nothing has been scrimped on, in every corner of this hotel you will find attention to detail. The staff are well mannered, friendly and willing to help when they can, Berts bar served one of the best meals I have eaten for a long time and the rooms are HUGE, spotless and the views brilliant. I have stayed in both parts of the hotel and while the "old" part in beautiful the new is even better.
I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough and have shown a standard that every hotel should follow if they want to be that cut above.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple