“caravan park”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Belfast
Dundonald Touring Caravan Park
Reviewed 26 October 2013

It was the ideal place for a visit of belfast. The bus stop was near the camping. The staff at the icebowl could not have been nicer. I was lucky to have read a report saying that you have to go to the icebowl to register otherwise we would never have found the place. The camping was very quite even though it is situated near a busy road (dead calm at night). The caretaker was so obliging and helpful. The showers, toilets were spotless. At night we had a game of bowling. We could have gone icekating as the ring was so big. In the republic you do not get such facilities. There are restaurants and cinemas within 5 mn walk. Perfect.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Veronique M

Reviewed 23 September 2013

We have stayed at this lovely site before, but on arriving (11th Sept) were advised by staff not to stay on the site as they had travellers staying. They said the travellers had paid and been no trouble, but advised us to use a different site. Very helpfully, they gave us printed directions to another site, which was lovely. However, I was pleased that we had arrived on the morning ferry and had plenty of time, instead of the evening one we used last time, which would have given us little time to travel to the other side of Belfast in the dark.
I must say the staff could not have been more helpful!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank traveller2148
Reviewed 7 September 2013

I get that some people find it hard to find this place, but it actually isn't that hard! Go to the ice rink, check in at reception.... Ring and get the GPS if you have a sat nav, and then you drive under the road, let yourself in and set up!!! There is a gate with a lock to get in (get the key at check in for a £10 deposit) but I assume this is more to keep people out who haven't paid as no one is on the grounds to check people in and out, rather than been for tough/scary security reasons. Make sure that you let them know in check in if you an on checking out before 915am, as they don't open until then. They will then arrange a check out then and there for you. Site was clean. Facilities were basic and clean. It's a 5 minute walk to the ice rink which has a burger place and various kids/family activities, otherwise a 5minute walk in another direction and you will find a complex with acinema and quite a few food options including Asian, Italian and steakhouses. We ate at Chicago blue which was yummy! The staff we dealt with we're very friendly and helpful. The only negative would be the road noise, but it wasn't so bad that we couldn't sleep. I'd definitely stay here again if I was in Belfast with a camper:-)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank crazyboo82
Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

I rarely write reviews however I felt I must give praise! This is a fantastic site! Free draining hard pitches so you can park beside your tent( we camped), very well kept grounds,great location and a clean warm toilet block. We were greeted by a member of staff on arrival and couldn't ask for a more helpful or friendly gentlemen.

Some reviewers have complained about noise from the road but it was a wet night so only heard the rain.

Roll on next season and I think I will use this as my regular pitch.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We were staying the night in Belfast as we were getting the early ferry in the morning and this site is ideally placed for anyone travelling by ferry to Scotland.

We had a few minor hiccups with the booking and check in process - no show stoppers, but I have emailed the site directly about these - it doesn't seem fair to get into it here without giving them the opportunity to rectify it. I believe this site is relatively new, so they are going to have some teething problems.

I was a little surprised when we got to the gate with the giant padlock - it's not what I'm used to on caravan sites, but getting in was not a problem. We had the keys. The only thing I would say is that you need a fair bit of strength to get the large gate moving.

Once we got into the site though, it was lovely. We got to choose our own pitch and as it was very hot that day, we found a nice hard standing pitch under the shade of a big tree. The pitches at this side have individual Electric, a shared tap and a waste water disposal drain, so no having to hike all the way to a central stand pipe, which for me, is luxury! :)

The on site facilities were very good when we stayed there. Toilets and showers were in excellent condition, although it took me a little while to figure out that the code for the shower lock was on the back of the keyring! They also have a laundry, a fridge and freezer and several washing up points, all beautifully kept.

Although I had been slightly unnerved by the gate, it does give a feeling of security, one that I think was shared by several of the families staying on the site as children were running around freely (although in a well-behaved way). Knowing that only people who belonged on the site could get in and out was quite comforting.

I've seen some reviews here mention the noise. There *is* a bit of traffic noise, but it's not that bad. There is no point in staying in a park that's in a city and complaining about city noise as far as I'm concerned. We had the windows open all night and there certainly wasn't enough noise to cause us an issue. There was a little bit of spillover noise from what sounded like the ice rink, but it didn't go on past 11pm.

However, we live in a city and we're on a direct flight path to the airport, so possibly what doesn't seem like a lot of noise to us might be more severe to someone who lives in a more suburban or rural area. There *is* a main road behind the site and there *is* an ice rink/fun centre up there as well, so expect there to be some ambient noise at all times.

I would very happily stay here again (and probably will as it's only a couple of hours drive from our house).

Room Tip: remember when checking in that you will need GBP£10 for the key deposit and do ensure that you go to...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Terri M
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Stayed at this campsite for one night on our Tour of Northern Ireland in our camper van - you book in at Ice Bowl where we were given a key (for £10 deposit) for the gate to the campsite about 500 yards away - we were not told that the key was for a large padlock on the gate - seemed like Fort Knox (!) but one of the friendly campers came and helped us get in. Didn't feel like the best area in Belfast when we arrived at Ice Bowl and seemed very strange that the campsite had a large padlocked gate for entry/exit. Toilet block had everything you need - few showers, 2 toilets, small kitchen area with kettle, toaster, microwave, fridge, freezer and public telephone. Plugs for using your hairdryer too which was good. Could have been a bit cleaner but otherwise quiet campsite with very friendly/helpful warden on site. OK for a one night stay but wouldn't want to stay any longer. Think there were buses nearby to the City but didn't investigate further.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I can't understand the previous review! Our experience was very different. Arrived to find secure site with clean, WARM washrooms and a large kitchen area containing micro-wave, toasters etc. The kitchen area also contained a lot of tourist info pamphlets which we found helpful.
We stayed on 2 separate nights - both on arriving in Belfast and just before leaving by ferry( a short journey- about 30mins)
Having read the reviews, I knew to call in the ice bowl reception first. Be aware, if like us you have a caravan, do not drive right down to the entrance from the approach road, as there is only parking for cars there and no through exit that we could see. We found it easy to take the left hand turn (as signposted towards the caravan site ) and then the "passenger" staying with car/caravan whilst the driver waited in the car. You get keys to the 3 locks which secure the site, for which you pay a 10euro deposit. This is returned on your departure. If, like us, you have an early ferry, ask the people on reception who will arrange a key drop off and return your deposit early.
The site is far enough away from the leisure complex to hear no noise from it (though useful for families - especially if its wet) thou there is a little noise from the nearby road- but this did not disturb us. There is also a cinema complex within a very easy walking distance.
Overall, a well organised, pleasant site which we will certainly use again.

Room Tip: We stayed further away from the road - but there was no real problem
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple