“great service”

Shiro
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Attentive waiter who was friendly and courteous. Atmosphere good and decor modern . Busy and popular place

1  Thank Harky41

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Being a traditionalist when it comes to food, I rarely venture off the beaten track. However, when you walk into Shiro, you completely forget you're in Belfast and feel invited to sample a whole different menu. It combines traditional British food with an Asian fusion twist and it's simply fantastic.
Deciding to relax and try new things, we went for the sushi platter to share. With a combination of entirely new flavours and textures, I was completely blown away. Not only was the quality second to none, the quantity was higher than expected, meaning that not only are you experiencing a whole range of different flavours, you're also getting value for money.
The main courses were simply class! The smoked chicken with prawn stuffing, curry and vegetables was wonderful and the bavette steak, marinated for 48 hours, was so tender and melted in the mouth. The sides of nori fries (get them, they're amazing!) and stir-fried veg were also delicious.
In no time at all, our dessert order was taken and our dishes placed in front of us. The chocolate textures and the madeleines with panecotta were divine and rounded off the meal beautifully.
A cocktail from their drinks list is mandatory. Not only does the food menu invite you to sample different dishes, the cocktail menu instructs you to, and you won't be disappointed. The running theme of tradition with an Asian twist is concurrent in the drinks menu; watching the cocktails being made with such flair and professionalism is almost as enjoyable as drinking them.
The service was faultless, with our servers, Jamie and Danielle, ensuring that our evening passed smoothly and comfortably; our glasses were refreshed and refilled, cocktails and wines recommended with each course and a genuine interest in how our evening was going.
All in all, I would 100% recommend Shiro to anyone who's passionate about food and drink. The whole concept is entirely niche and I hope they receive the success they deserve.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

My friend and I visited Shiro over the weekend, this was our first visit and we were running late so I rang a staff member to explain we were late and they thankfully kept our table because I read online Shrio holds the table for 15mins (like most places) however I also read about customers been turned away by the door staff on dress choice or reservation only entry, I cannot help but feel a vibe if we did not have a table booked we would of been turned away...

Anyway we got seated, and the interior is up there, modern, fresh, sharp and very stylish, the mens bathrooms are spotless and the staff uniform is very smart so a lot of thought has went into Shiro, the VW beetle even has the stylish Shiro theme outside, it is a fantastic building.

Food is what we came for, and it is tasty, but I've ate better in Belfast my starter was Fried Quail and it was good but I felt a tad boring, The Merchant (Great Room) do a nicer Quail starter, also I know Shiro has an Asian theme but I'm not a fish lover and there was a lot of fish dishes so for my main I had Pan Fried Duck and again in Belfast for a similar price Salt Bistro do a very tasty duck main, the dish I got at Shiro was alright I still enjoyed it but its not the best duck dish I've ate. (The meat had fatty bits and the white baps and lettuce on the plant I felt was laziness)

my desert was Chocolate Textures and a good size portion and very tasty my friend had the honey toast and it also looked very good! Staff were very friendly when serving us but one fault I had was I don't like to mix alcohol and food so whilst eating so I have water, but staff have to fill your glass as they do not leave a jug at the table which I found annoying having to rash'en the water. My second fault was it was very warm and then the air con did come it was on to strong it even blew out the candle on the table twice. I would possibly come back to Shiro I feel it is good value for money and it nice to see a new modern stylish building in the city but I have ate in better places in Belfast.

2  Thank Phill747
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We booked for 2 on a Saturday night. The decor is lovely and very stylish. The staff were helpful and friendly. The food was very nice and the menu was interesting. I look forward to returning and wish it every success.

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

We went to Shiro for a very late lunch after work on a Wednesday. We were a little worried as there was no one else in the restaurant. We needn't have worried. The staff were warm and welcoming. We were seated in a booth overlooking the bar. The decor is clean modern and beige. It's a very cool looking bar/restaurant. We were given water and asked if we wanted anything to drink. The waitress that looked after us was fun and personable. We ordered our food which did take a while to arrive considering we were the only table in. We had the quail and scallops to start and honey chilli beef and tempura pollock for main. My husband had the textures of chocolate for dessert and I had a plum sake. The food was fabulous and fresh. The flavours were well balanced and fresh. I cannot wait to venture back to Shiro. Well worth a visit.