“Stunning value and quality”

Neills Hill Brasserie
Ranked #126 of 1,196 Restaurants in Belfast
Price range: US$0 - US$103
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 30 August 2017

My colleague and I were looking for somewhere for lunch. Wanted something that did more than just sandwiches but at the same time not michelin star silver service. Walked into here, my first time. Initial reaction was, is this a pub - no, is this a bar- sort of, is it a restaurant - sort of which I guess is what a brasserie is right? The theme seems very vaguely spanish - there was a sombrero hanging on the coat stand and the menu leaned that way but there other standard items including sandwiches etc. It was the menu and specials in particular that made me sit up - I was recommended and indeed went for the Hake with samphire, salsify, croquettes and a cream sauce. My colleague went for a dry marinaded chicken fillet.

The food came and I was quite stunned. At £13 for the Hake I was not expecting much but I would have paid double for that at dinner. The presentation and quality were superb. I've read about miserly portions from some other reviews here, well not in my case. The Hake was excellent, large chunk of white fish, presented in a manner that would befit any top restaurant. It was perfectly cooked too.

My colleagues chicken was also a revelation. Tasty moist and again great value. Our total bill was £33.75 that included a a warm Hummous starter with flatbread that we shared (never had warm hummous before) which was also great, 3 coffees and a bottle of water. Re the service; again seen a lot of comments it was not up to scratch, well I could not fault them again, really polite and efficient. My only regret was neither of us had any cash to leave a tip and was not given the option on the card machine.

My only minor critisism was it was a cold day (the norm in August in Belfast apparently!) and when we walked in it perhaps could have been a tad warmer but we soon warmed up to be fair. Give this place a try, it certainly offers something different and as I said in terms of VFM at lunch, you will be hard pushed to beat it. Well done guys, well impressed and I do not give compliments out easily or readily.

Reviewed 30 August 2017

Good food and child friendly arrangements (7 year old ). We had a mixture of starters to make up a meal. Tasty and filling.

Reviewed 28 August 2017 via mobile

Great menu resulted in a struggle to pick a dish from a great collection. Food was excellent as was the service

Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

Nice place, good service, limited menu, pricey drinks. Food was O.K. Would recommend it but warn steaks and extras not good value.

Reviewed 21 August 2017

Having read some of the other reviews here, there seems to be a pattern emerging as to the poor service in this restaurant. I took my dad here for his 70th and was badly let down by both the food - absurdly small portions and poorly cooked for the most part - and abysmal customer service. Started from the moment we arrived with the martyr-faced waitress who 'served' us. Appalling manner and dreadful body language was unforgivable quite frankly. Customers pay their wages, they would do well to remember that... Didn't think much of the management either if I am to be honest - when we were asked if our risotto was to our liking and responded that it wasn't (the pancetta hadn't been rendered down at all and was just a chewy, gristly mess) we were met with a blank stare and an 'Oh'. Not so much as a mention of her being sorry to hear that or it being taken off our bill. Terrible customer service and very ordinary food.

6  Thank Nick B