“Brilliant meal...surprising bill!”

Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Golden Mile
Reviewed 16 March 2014

My boyfriend I came to Belfast for a few days and were looking for somewhere close to our hotel to eat. Gingeroot was recommended to us by staff at our hotel.

When we arrived at around 6.30pm the restaurant was completely empty, bar two members of staff.

Despite the lack of atmosphere, our meal was fabulous - and the staff were friendly and attentive.

When our bill arrived, we were surprised to see they had added a charge for water. We hadn't actually even asked for the water so slightly perplexed by the addition to the bill since it was brought over to the table.

Overall a great meal which deserved 5 stars if it wasn't for the foreign object on our bill.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

What can I say. Superb food, pleasant staff and keenly priced. I have walked past this place during my visits to Belfast in the past but rainy weather made me stop. All I can say is thank you for rain tonight so that I could get to experience this. Wil be back more often

Reviewed 16 February 2014

The offer they had for valentines night three courses and bottle of wine for £38 sounded good. Firstly let me just say some (not all of the staff) are aloof bordering on rude to say the least. When we arrived and were waiting our table a female member of staff carrying plates rammed directly into my husband and did not apologise. This was a sign of things to come. We were seated in a corner and it became obvious that we were forgotten abiut. It took thirty minutes for the food order to be taken and when an hour went by without any food whatsoever not even poppadoms that were on everyone else's table my husband went to see what was going on. Within minutes of this they brought out poppadoms 'to keep us going' and within minutes of that our starter was served. It was obvious to us both that they had just thrown it together as you could see the holes in the meat were they pulled it off some ones kebab. I have attached a pictute. Further more from my vantage point I could see that the majority of the diners ate of that set menu and were served individual starters with dipping sauces not one plate of meat with holes in it. The meat in the starter tasted vile. We hoped the main courses were better. Both chicken Jalfrezis were ok not great. The sauce had a pool of grease on it and there were only a few tiny pieces if chicken. I likened it to a supermarket microwave value meal. The nann bread was ok as was the wine. The restaurant itself was decorated for valentines night and they had some dj playing cheesy tunes right beside us. I noticed that the owner was doing the rounds job nobbing with some of the diners yet never came near us. Upon leaving my husband who never complains explained everything to the owner. The response? He offered £2.50 off the bill....that says it all really. My husband told him to keep it as he obviously needs 2.50 more than we do. I predict this place will be closed this time next year if this is the way they treat new paying customers. I shall be telling the world and his wife yo avoid this Fawlty towers restaurant.

2  Thank normajean100
Reviewed 2 February 2014

There are mixed feelings about Gingerroot. The positives include the fact that the staff are very nice and the restaurant is clean and modern. It's location to the city centre is good. Some of the dishes were very nice too. However, the service was very slow to say there were only 4 tables occupied and that sadly added to the poor atmosphere. On a busy night it might be better but not sure how they cope serving when it's busy?

Some of the dishes were poor. My friend had a salmon curry? They warned there might be bones in it but it was full of them. They had made no effort to take any out. The portions are small and expensive. Watch out because they accidentally put an extra main course on our bill. To boot they add 10% service charge?

Overall disappointing!

Reviewed 17 January 2014

1st time here, very welcomed, atmosphere prefect, lovely food, well priced, looking forward to a return visit!