“Beautiful wee place with excellent staff and food :)”

The Cellar Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 42 Restaurants in Ballycastle
Price range: US$12 - US$32
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Ballycastle's best kept secret...
Reviewed 6 May 2014

My partner and I have just returned from a very wet dull day in Ballycastle :( but the good news is that we found a little restaurant tucked away that we almost missed it and had a beautiful meal served by very friendly and attentive staff. We availed of the 'early bird' menu which was not only substancial but beautiful and fantastic value for money.

We will be back :) :) thank you for making our otherwise damp day...... S & B

Reviewed 30 April 2014

We had the brie appetizer, cellar chicken and the salmon dish with green beans. This was the best salmon I have ever tasted. The combination of flavors in the cream sauce and balsamic sauce on the plate were absolutely amazing on the dish. Also loved the garlic potatoes! They did have early bird specials for a great price but we weren't interested in anything on that menu.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Tourist from England looking for some nice food at a nice restaurant. It was so cosy and cute, I imagine in the winter to be really adorable! We did the early bird special between 5-7pm on weekdays choosing a selection from some starters/main or main/dessert with a wine for 10pound. It was so romantic and nice really enjoyed it. The food was really beautiful and I just thought this place deserved a good rating! Of course there were other items a little more, but if your looking to pay for a decent romantic intimate restaurant this would be it :) Made the sightseeing day that much better!

Reviewed 21 March 2014

We live near Ballycastle and would probably eat out thee on a week. There is a wide choice of restaurants and we decided to try the Cellar Restaurant tonight as it was the only restaurant we hadn't been to. It was such a pleasant surprise. The restaurant itself is a little cold but the food more than made up for it. The menu is extensive and I could have chosen lots of things. We had the mussels to start which were excellent and then I had the special Duet of Fish which was lovely. I would definitely have it again. The portion sizes are very good and we only managed to share a desert and I had a coffee. I would definitely recommend this restaurant and I will be back. It perhaps does not quite have the atmosphere of the bar/restaurants in the town but the food was brilliant.

chris m, Owner at The Cellar Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Thank you for your lovely comment on your visit to my restaurant, the duet of fish is our new special on our menu which we change every fortnight to give a variety of fresh local caught fish.
I look forward to having your custom and support again

Reviewed 12 November 2013

We ate at The Cellar during the off-season on a week night. My friend had the mussels, and they were delicious. I ordered the lobster, since past reviews mentioned this was good. I was very disappointed in the tough, over-cooked specimen that I was given. Additionally, the sauteed potatoes tasted like they were cooked in old grease. Fortunately, the salad and wine were very good. The waitress did reduce the bill following my complaint.

1  Thank snow_is_old