“Camping at Watertop”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Watertop Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ballycastle
Watertop Farm
“Camping at Watertop”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

I have camped many times at Watertop for nearly twenty years and have always had a relaxed enjoyable time. It is a great place for some peace and quiet and I am glad there is an 11 o'clock noise rule, this is standard practice in most European sites. Watertop is a welcome break from the alcohol fuelled all night noise that many large sites in Northern ireland experience.

If there is a problem with the toilets, say so and it will be sorted.. as always. I have camped all over Europe and I feel at home at Watertop...

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Philip H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Bangor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

Three families of us went camping last weekend Site was great.....facilities not the best I've seen....but the atmosphere and the friendly welcome more than made up for that! Lots to do for the kids and you felt safe to let them wander!cant wait to get back there next year! Ps....check out the pavlova!

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Lynda F
watertopterry, Owner at Watertop Farm, responded to this review, 7 September 2012
Thanks very much for your kind comments.Really glad you enjoyed your visit.
We will look into the toilet and shower facilities!!
Thanks for taking the time to write your comments.
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2012

We visited the farm last week for the 3rd time this year, so I felt I should do it justice in my review. We took my sister's children age 5, 7,8 and would go back every week if we could! the weather wasn't great but that never seems to bother the kids! Cannot understand the negative reviews, there are plenty of animals to see in the little house which are very friendly, even the rabbits and kittens (which kept escaping up trees!) love being stroked. Our favorites were the ponies and the donkey and foal in the paddok, (which is on the way for the walks) my nephew was so excited when they followed us along the fence and even had a go at feeding the foal. There are lots of bigger horses in the stables which love sugar cubes! There are age limits for the horse trekking but the pony rides were perfect for us and anyone can have a go. This farm gives a fantastic opportunity for kids who live in a town to get a real sense of the countryside and nature, there are a few different farm walks, one in particular to the waterfall is just beautiful (though slightly damp on this occasion but oh well) note- you can only go to the viewing point with a buggy but that was fine for us this year. the toilets are basic but anytime we have been they have always been clean, though on busy days last year they did run out of toilet roll but always quickly replaced when reported to the shop. This isn't like other petting farms, it's exactly what it says on the tin- a working farm and activity center, the rides are reasonably priced, especially reccomend the quad dwarf rides for kids and the paddiwagon for everyone- even the oldies as it is a real personal touch giving the background of the farm and live commentary, as well as seeing normal farm animals like sheep and cows and some amazing views right down to the ocean. the owners and most of the staff are very friendly and have such patience with children. All in all this is a fantastic place to bring children, all three generations in our family love it- though do try and go on a dry day. Havn't tried camping yet but may start here with my partner next summer as it's small enough and feels safe

3 Thank BelfastPeaches
watertopterry, Owner at Watertop Farm, responded to this review, 8 September 2012
Thank you so much for your comments. We do our best to ensure everything is as it should be but we obviously get it wrong now and then!!. We are very much an outdoor facility so the weather can play a big part in how you enjoy your visit. Most people like yourself just get on with it. With our summer, thats all you can do!!
Derry, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

We looked forward to taking our grandchildren to the farm on Sunday, but we were very disappointed.

There are very little animals, 2 sheep, a couple of pigs, baby chicks under a light and a couple of pups. There is a walk around the farm about a mile, the surrounding countryside is lovely but you have to be very careful to avoid the horse droppings all over the place.

The toilets are basic, (two ladies toilets,- one of the disabled), while waiting on the toilets there must have been 20 huge flies flying around the toilet. There was no toilet roll in the toilets.

There was a play park for the children near the cafe, the pups were leaving their calling card in the playground.

All in all, a wasted day, Could be cleaned up a lot and a few more animals added.

1 Thank yvonne084
Oh dear you really had a bad day at watertop. I can only apologise for the things you have mentioned that you found lacking. We do have a few more animals than those you mentioned however Watertop is not like many of the other Farms which accept visitors. We concentrate on activities rather than animals. We are not that comfortable with having a lot of animals indoors and keeping them in small enclosure outside in our weather would be a bit of a nightmare.
I am sorry about the pups leaving their calling card in the playarea. That is definately not acceptable and does not happen as a rule.
The walk is indeed beautiful which is why the ponytrekking takes the same route. At the end of each day we do clear up after the horses, i can only assume that it was not cleaned satisfactorily.
I hope you will still return again and hopfully have a more enjoyable visit.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

Just spent a great day out with our grandchildren last sunday at Watertop Farm. It was our first ever visit there and it was thoroughly enjoyed by all. We are always looking for new places to visit on a day out and this certainly did not disappoint. With some outings we are always looking for ways to fill the time in but here there was no problem- lots of things to keep little ones entertained - in fact the next time we visit we would actually try to get there a bit earlier in the day as we found we were rushing a bit near closing time to let the children do the things they wanted. It certainly helped a lot that the rain stayed away but all in all a lovely family day out.

2 Thank Edie c
Thanks so much for taking the time to write your comment, I am so glad you enjoyed you visit.
Unfortunately you will have to wait untill next year to return.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2012

I don't like giving anyone bad reviews so bear with Me.

I chose Watertop as other farms near to where we were staying had received terrible reviews and this one had good reviews.

We visited on Monday 13th August, now to be fair the weather in the Morning was horrendous. Unfortunately there were very little animals to see, maybe we were Niave but were expecting the usual Goats, Pigs etc. There were a few Horses but they were in stables. Apart from a few sheep that appeared to be it.

We sought refuge in the Muesum ( very dark) after going on a walk on the unfortunately soggy but beautiful surroundings until it was time for our trip on the Paddywagon. Now we throughly enjoyed this tour and the Driver was lovely and told us lots of stories / information. This as excellent Value at £2 per head. Unfortunately it was too wet to try the Go-karting or the Rowing which we would have loved and is also excellent value at £5. we did try the outdoor Adventrue area but for some reason the owners dog ( who accompanied us quite a bit on our walk - quietly)
decided to stay with us and bark constantly ( one of my kids is afraid of barking dogs) and didn't stop until we left that area. There was no problem anywhere else he/she accompanied / followed us other than this area.

I do feel this would be a great day out if the weather was good and you get to use all the recreation activites/ rides, however if you're looking to see / feed / pet animals you may be disappointed. Just a minor point but the hand Gel dispenser was also empty and this was early AM.

2 stars for the Animals and 4 for the activities.

1 Thank WhoamI-00
I am sorry you were disappointed with your visit to Watertop. Unfortunately the rain is not something we have any control over! I am a little surprised by your comments about the lack of animals. I wonder did you actually get to the small animal house where we do indeed have piglets, lambs, rabbits, chicks and pups. In the main barn where we do shearing demos (when it is dry) we also have kittens. The horses and ponies (10) were in the saddling yard and we have a pet donkey and her foal in a small paddock near the farmyard.
Finn the springer spaniel is part of the furniture at Watertop and meanders around the farm. Usually he barks if he wants someone to play with him by throwing a stick/ball etc.!!
Hopefully your next visit will be on a dry day when you can really experience all that Watertop has to offer.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

Myself and my family have stayed at this site at least 4 or 5 times every summer over the list 5 yes. The reason being is that the kids love it and they have a lot of freedom to play out all day and into the evenings. On our last visit, after conversing with other caravaners/campers, it was the general consensus that the farmer is a bit of a stickler for anyone talking after 11.00 pm. It's totally understandable that he would want the site to quieten down around that time but I think he'd like everyone to literally whisper or not speak at all!! No one seems to think that the talking and general fraud is out of order, especially as everyone is on holidays. We would consider ourselves as regulars, as would many other people so why the new, stringent 'quiet time' rule? I personally think it's a bit ridiculous as we have never made that much noise that other caravaners/campers have heard us.

I think the owners need to consider the price hike (to cover electric). It's understandable that sites are increasing their rates but I think Watertop and it's shower block/toilets need to reflect the recent price increase. I have never complained about the toilets or showers but when I'm asked to pay extra, then it's time to say something. They are cleaned daily but they need to be scrubbed and the mildew removed from the tiles. The shower curtain should be replaced each year and maybe a lick of paint. A separate shower block for caravaners and campers would be ideal as there is only 3 or 4 toilets to cater for the whole site, including day time visitors who, at times, arrive by the bus load.

I was charged £2.00 for the washing machine (reasonable enough) but the machine is a health hazard and basically ruined 2 of my cardigans. I asked the farmer to reset the machine as it seemed to stick mid cycle, which he did, but the machine stuck again and I had to remove all my clothes, which were soaking and suddy, and wash and wring them out in the sink. I mentioned this to staff and no one even thought to give me a refund (for all it was) and to be honest no one seemed to care.

I feel a bit bad writing this review as it's such a great wee site but at the end of the day myself and my husband work hard and look forward to heading away in our caravan and we think that the owners should take this into consideration because as well as paying to stay, we then spend money on site I.e. In the cafe, shop, kids activities etc. It would be a nice gesture if the people that stayed on the site got a bit of a reduction for activities.

I have not booked to go back to Watertop this year as we will be visiting other sites but we will book again for next summer and hopefully some of our comments will betaken onboard because Watertop Farm has a lot of potential.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Mary Rose s
I must apologise for the washing machine problems. It has since been replaced with a new one so hopefully no more problems there. I am sorry the showers were not as you would wish. They are cleaned everyday and we do replace the curtains regularily but obviously not often enough.
There is no doubt that when we are busy the toilets are under a bit of pressure. We have not ruled out the possibility of building new toilets for the campers and caravans.
Regarding the 11.00 pm quiet rule, that will not change. Unfortunately quite often it is the regular customers who cause the most annoyance to new visitors.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballycastle
The Fullerton Arms
#7 of 25 in Ballycastle
Crockatinney Guest House
Crockatinney Guest House
#10 of 25 in Ballycastle

Been to Watertop Farm? Share your experiences!