We've been on a two week trip to Antrim and Donegal in Sep/Oct 2011 staying at many B&B's. While almost all of the B&B's in Ireland are good with friendly and helpful hosts, Kenmara House with lovely host Ernie Shannon is the ONE outstanding B&B for the following reasons:
1. The host Ernie is simply a lovely and very knowledgable guy. Every day, he came up with suggestions for places to visit, provided lessons in Irish history to better understand the places, rented maps, brochures and other material to read etc. Ernie surprised us every day with something new that is not typically found in travel guides: Trails to interesting places and where to park the car etc., all those things a local knows about and that make your stay more interesting and unique.
2. The house itself is beautiful and at an outstanding location in Ballycastle. It is located on a hill with at least two rooms with a view to the sea. The interior is nicely decorated, the rooms are clean with plenty of space.
3. The breakfast (which is rich with plentiful of options) is served in the dining room from where the guests can enjoy the view to the sea. The guests sit at a round table which provides a nice family atmosphere to start the day.
4. Ballycastle is in convenient distance to most Antrim attractions like Giant Causeway, Rope Bridge, Ballintoy, Cushendun etc. which makes it a good location for day trips. The city itself has a variation of pubs and restaurants.
I can highly recommend staying at Kenmara House and I'm looking forward to meet Ernie again and listen to his stories about history and what is going on in Antrim.
- Also Known As:
- Kenmara House Ballycastle, Northern Ireland