“Basic, budget stay”

Castle Hostel
Ocala, Florida
“Basic, budget stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013 via mobile

The location was amazing and staff very friendly and helpful. Not sure why we didnt get an ensuite, that is what we booked. Very quiet restful atmosphere- perfect for our needs. Beds could use an update, but Im not complaining. For the price it worked for us!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank KatComfort

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
South Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2012

Stayed here with my 4 month old son and wife.

Our major issue is that the hostel/B&B/lodge are all mixed together as one big entity, so it confused my wife (a veteran of Eurpean hostels) to no end.

The staff were polite, but not as engaging as other hostels or B&Bs that we stayed at in Ireland.

The location, however, is lovely, only a short walk from the beach. We stayed here because it was in our driving route from Belfast to the Giant's Causeway. It was pricier than a lot of places we stayed (it seemed to be in a vacation spot for Northern Irelanders), but certainly adequate. The room was nice, we had our own bathroom and the bed was decent. We skipped out on breakfast to get an early jump on the Giant's Causeway (I highly recommend both the Causeway and an early jump).

While this ranks among the least favorite places we stayed on our journey, it was certainly an adequate place to stay.

Baby friendly.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank mikebickerson
Saskatoon, SK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

The Castle Hostel has apparently returned in a new location in Ballycastle after some time away. The 2004 hostel so loved by the other reviews is not the same place visited in 2011, FYI.

Close to bus. Great location. Very clean.

They demand a check in time so they can be there & ready for you. No one was there as arranged. Apparently due to a death in the family of the tea shop owners and the manageress needed to go and pick her kids up from school. No apology, was told "you have no idea how many people say one time and show up late". I empathize for the tea shop people (who usually do the check-ins at that time), but the owners need a contingency plan for the future that does not include leaving paying customers to decide whether to sit around until "around 5pm" (so, when exactly?) or go find a coffee shop.

LOUDEST/CREAKIEST BED OF ALL TIME. BARELY SLEPT EITHER NIGHT. Cannot recall the name of our room, but I know at least one other room has such a ridiculous bed frame as I could hear it through the wall. I feel for the people who slept on the other side of the wall from my bed.

Didn't see staff again until checkout when I had to go to the B&B, ring the bell & call up the stairs for 15 mins, was then led over to the tea shop to pay. The hostel does not have anyone at reception. Was told to come and wake owners up in the night in case of emergency.

"Extra" bathroom too far away. Closer bathroom very busy.

No tv in lounge or internet access.

These people are obviously trying very hard to add to the An Caislean family of properties with this hostel. A few changes and this place could be really great. At this point, it is only passable and I can't recommend it.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Stephers H
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

We chose this hostel as it was the cheapest place to stay near the Giants Causeway (which was excellent btw) and we weren't expecting much. However although cheap and in a fairly good location the quality of the mattresses was awful and despite being very tired both my sister and I failed to get much sleep. They were lumpy and I just couldn't get comfortable. At 6am the noise of plumbing was too loud and we gave up and read our books. On a positive note the couple who run the hostel were very friendly and the shower was good if a little tired looking.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank PennyLeedsUK
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2004

Been a while since I stayed in a hostel, but this one really stands out. Big, comfy, clean and inviting. I was there in February but I can only imagine how fun it must be in the summer. Friendly staff, and the place itself feels very homey. Right near the beach with safe car park right next door. The #1 best town on the causeway coast and close to all attractions....castle hostel is a great alternative to a B&B and super reasonable in price.

6 Thank Tundraclown
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2003

Highly recomended, very clean, lovely hot showers, tea coffee milk & sugar provided FREE! Lovely town, friendly people, wish I lived there - I'll definitely be back!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2003

The Castle was the 3rd hostel my daughter and I visited in the UK. The Castle is located metres from the bus stop and the beach at the bottom of the town. We immediately felt at home. The hostel is clean and very relaxed with good craic encouraged by the wonderful Siobhan and Alec, the owner. They were friendly but not intrusive with excellent knowledge of local attractions - Giant's Causeway/Bushmills/Rathlin Island. The hostel is a good size - about 40 beds, never crowded but was visited by 2 staff from other hostels while we were there. We were guided to the best pubs/music in town and even driven to the Giants Causeway on the first morning. We ended up staying twice as long as intended and met some great people in the course of 4 days at The Castle. I would thoroughly recommend a visit.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member