“Depends what you are after.. ”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ballycastle
Silvercliffs Holiday Park
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Depends what you are after.. ”
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

After reading some of the frankly dreadful comments on here I was literally dreading visiting this park. I paid the price of the upgrade (originally a sun holiday booking) and opted for a 3 bedroom caravan for me my husband and our 2 young children. This was clearly the best thing to do as the caravan was spotless and literally brand new. Ironically one of the best caravans we have stayed in via the sun holiday bookings. I wasn't asked for any deposit unlike some of the historical reviews suggested and the reception staff were very friendly and polite. Unfortunately that's about as much as I can say as there isn't anything else at this park at the moment. If you are looking for a typical Haven holiday park type holiday then this is definitely NOT for you. There are no activities, no evening entertainment that we were aware off. When we were there there was no kids play park (closed off), the official information said no ball games were allowed on the park grounds and the swimming pool was closed. There was nothing at all on the site for the kids. Even the games machines in the reception area were closed.
However..... The area of Ballycastle is beautiful and we essentially spent every day out and about exploring the stunning coast line with the kids. It's a lovely area, the people are very friendly and used as a base only this place perfectly met our requirements. There were a number of spaces on the park, and a number of caravans were empty or indeed of updating. They are clearly trying to work on improving things and the swimming pool was due to reopen the week after we left. If you are going to explore the area then don't let the reviews put you off.

Stayed April 2014
6 Thank Reenie75

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 31 March 2014

when me and my family where in one of the caravans all we could here was noise and that there was condoms found in the bathroom and that people were having sex outside and i would never bring my kids here AGAIN

3 Thank Roselie M

Travellers are raving about these Ballycastle hotels

Belfast, Ireland
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Before I go on with my review I have to say that up until 4 years ago I had a caravan on this site myself for 15 years, and before that my family used to own a caravan there when I was a young child (about 25 years ago) so know a lot about it in general, and never had any complaints what-so-ever, we just couldn't afford to pay the site fees which kept rising. I also met my husband on the site as his family also had a caravan there lol.
I booked a 3 bedroomed caravan for the family as a last minute holiday last August and was delighted to be able to get a caravan.
We arrived on the Friday afternoon and was welcomed by a lovely young man at reception and was given the keys and told where the caravan was. They asked if I had stayed with them before and I explained that up until (at that time) 3 years ago I had owned a caravan there and they were amused lol. Talked about who I knew on the site etc and then headed off for the van.
We knew exactly where we were going as the rented caravans have always been around the back of the swimming pool, even 25 years ago! So it was no surprise to me and my husband. What was a surprise for us is that they have changed the one-way system in the park and you have to go the opposite way to what it had been for well over 20 years! Still can't fathom why they have done this???
Got into the van and it was a lot bigger than what our caravan was, there was a very large living room and the kitchen was a lovely size too. Bathroom had a toilet and shower, and then we had 2 twin rooms and a double bed.
Bed linen was included in the price, however the beds were not made up when we arrived, which considering the price we paid it would have been appreciated if the had been made up for us.
Contact numbers were all on the information sheet on the cupboard but we never needed to use them. Cutlery, plates, microwave, toaster, kettle, cups, glasses etc were all supplied, as was the tv with freeview. An electric heater was also provided which came in useful to heat up the rooms at night before going to bed. No towels were provided, however this wasn't a problem as we brought our own anyhow. Caravan in itself was in good condition, however it was not one that was advertised on the website and was a lot older than advertised. A lot of stains on the walls, some paper coming off, black marks on the shower tray which just wouldn't come away, ceiling in the living room was a bit warped and starting to come away in the corner in the living room. This did not make any difference or cause for concern foe us, but We took photos of all these to have as back-up just incase there were any problems......... but we needn't have worried about that.
The park itself is not as popular and it once was. Definitely not as many caravans as there used to be, it's half empty, but then again the owners only have themselves to blame for this by the rise of fees every year, fees for extras when they should have been included in the fees in the first place, and a lot of rules put in place for no reason.
It is such a shame as that caravan park was once a very busy site, with hundreds (if not over a thousand) vans and families and everyone from young to old was friendly all around the site, It's such a shame that all the memories myself and my husband have from our younger years and teenage years, children there these days won't have as it's very strict
I was gobsmacked at how quite and deserted the site was, esp in the summer and the weekend before Lammas Fair weekend! That place was ALWAYS busy that time of year!
Anyhow the children's park was sad looking. Equipment still the same as last time we'd been there, still no swings (they were always taking the swings down for some reason) and the play frame just looks sad :( There is a fence around it now also, so yes the children are safe and in one space, however I'm not sure why it's there as it was never needed before now? looked like a bit of a jail.
Took a walk round to the reception (or the Rekkie as all us kids used to call it) and it was dead. The cafe has been turned into another games room, and I had a nosey into the swimming pool, where the baby pool was drained and covered up and the swimming pool itself was empty. Couldn't believe it as that pool was ALWAYS busy, and neither pools were ever closed off during the season unless absolutely necessary, and at that it was for 1 day only.
Didn't go near the bar as we weren't fans of it the last 2 years we owned our own caravan, but it seemed busy enough.
Another thing we were both shocked at was that the onsite shop was closed also. Again it looks as if it has been closed for good, but this was never the case either a few years ago. It opened at Easter EVERY YEAR and stayed open until the 1st weekend of September. I couldn't believe that it was closed. Other thing was the rule was always on the site that dogs had to be kept on a lead at all times, however this rule seems to have gone to pot, as a particular dog on the site was allowed to run about and jump up on people walking about and leave them with lovely muddy paw prints on their clothes!
I have to saywe will return and stay here again, as it holds lots of happy memories for myself and my husband, it is just such a shame that the site itself has lost it's touch a bit.
However I do think that Silver Cliffs - or as it's called now Causeway Coast Holiday Park - need to update the caravans to what they advertise, or show us exactly what we will be staying in, and also need to lower their prices a bit to entice people to come back. Esp if hey continue to use the current vans for rental. I know a lot of people who used to near enough live on that site like myself , would love to return for a trip down memory lane, but prices need to be reviewed for what we actually are getting.

3 Thank Irish-Rover-008
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Booked weekend away with Sun Holiday offer.To explain have visited around 12 parks in Scotland, England and Wales over the years with this offer and never had a bad experience.
My wife and I thought this time we would try N Ireland although it was going to work out an expensive weekend with £250 for the return ferry to Stranraer.
When we got the booking confirmed I was a little hesitant as was offered a chalet.When I rang up was advised that site was full that weekend and all caravans were booked.So assumed that it must be a popular site and although would have preferred a caravan decided to take a chance.
My only failing was that I did not do any research about the site and unfortunately did not look on Trip Advisor till after my return.
To cut a long story short arrived at the accommodation as scheduled and after taking a look round decided that we no way could we stay overnight never mind the weekend.Every window and door in the chalet had been left open but could not mask the smell off damp and must. The toilet and shower area was disgusting and the colour of the toilet brush OMG!
So we literally stayed 15 minutes before handing back the keys explaining the accommodation was unacceptable.We booked a hotel overnight in Carrickfergus and got the ferry back the next afternoon our planned weekend spoiled.Expensive but you learn from your mistakes in life.
However it is the apathetic treatment received since that I am more incensed about.In addition to the accommodation charges which I accepted I had lost, the park took £30 deposit ( first time I have been asked with the Sun offer) and £30 advance payments for linen and service charges which I obviously did not use.A reimbursement of £60 is due to me.
I waited a couple of weeks for my cheque but nothing arrived. So 6 emails, 3 recorded delivery letters and 3 phone calls later to both the park and the Head Office with unmet promises of return phone calls I am still without payment.
A glance of previous reviews highlights that this is not an uncommon issue and hints that the park hope that customers forget about their deposits.
I know that I am not talking about a huge amount of money but it should be in my account and the dismissive way I am being treated is abominable.What happened to customer service?
I spoke with Citizens Advice and they have suggested I make a claim through the Small Claims Court in N ireland.There is a fee involved to submit the claim but this will be added to the sum the Park are due to me when the ruling is passed in my favour
This may seem overkill for £60 but in principle I want to follow it through as no one should be allowed to treat a customer with such disdain.
The ironic thing is I had put my aborted trip down to one of lifes experiences and if my £60 had been forthcoming on my return I would not even had bothered posting a review here.
It is only the treatment afterwards that has got my dander up LOL

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank John R
Northern Ireland
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We stayed here back in March 2012 as a group of 4 adults and 2 children in a 2-bedroomed self-catering apartment. We got the deal from ‘Groupon’ and we all stayed for 3 nights for £99 which we thought was excellent value. The place was certainly a bit damp and musty and not luxurious by any means. The worst part of all was the bathroom – it was not very clean and was very basic. However apart from that it was clean and tidy and the kitchen was well equipped for self-catering, for all of us. The pool wasn’t open so I can’t comment. We didn’t go to the bar or the play park at all. We tend to keep to ourselves. Ballycastle is an excellent place for a family break. There are lovely shops, coffee shops, take-aways and restaurants on the seafront and on the main street. The kids loved the beach and the play area on the sea front as well as the bigger play park at the playing fields. All in all we had a great break in Ballycastle but I probably would not pick these apartments again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank TAmember13
Settle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Now that finally, after three weeks and several phone calls, we've got our 'security deposit' refunded I can happily post a review.
The organisation was fairly chaotic: In June they said 'No, we haven't got two caravans available, only apartments', in July 'We have 2 caravans for you, next to each other'. On arrival in September we were allocated two caravans a couple of hundred yards apart, but after further conversation they found two adjacent vans. The staff were very helpful, but slightly eccentric !
The caravans were excellent: clean, well-equipped, no fault there whatsoever. The same is not true of the facilities. The pool was closing that day, the play area was fairly sad. The whole place had an 'end of season' feel.
BUT if you want a cheap base for exploring the area it's ideal, and ballycastle itself, less than a mile away, was very pleasant

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Alanyeti
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We had booked a Glens caravan for the week and from the website seemed to be modern caravans. In addition my wife had been told thay had new caravans this year and we had been allocated one of these at their main headquarters in Ballyclare.
When we arrived we had been allocated Van number 15 which was at the back of the site near a lot of wrecked caravans. On entering up metal staircase the doors all lay open and would not close in fact a few of the cupboards the doors were falling off, and the sill at the front of the caravan had a bad split caused by damp. The windows in the caravan did not meet and could not be locked very insecure. The beds were makeshift held up by ends of wooden pallets.

We refused to stay in it they gave us an apartment which was a bit more secure but was extremely basic, the shower was not walk in as described and would be totally unsuitable for disabled individuals. The beds where extremely uncomfortable and we left early for home as problems came from other residents being sick over the balcony and partying to 4 in the morning even though the caravan park gates are shut at 11 to signify quiet time like most caravan sites.The pool is charged for not told this until you pay deposit and shuts at 4:30 every day very poor facilities as well.

5 Thank clarkefamily5
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballycastle
Marine Hotel Ballycastle
#6 of 24 in Ballycastle
Carnately Lodge
Carnately Lodge
#5 of 24 in Ballycastle

Been to Silvercliffs Holiday Park? Share your experiences!